Exclusive: Sony PSP2 arriving in 2010, features PowerVR SGX543 graphic

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by imz, Oct 17, 2009.

1. imz
    OP

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    source: bright side of news

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    It seems that the DS2 will be the powerhouse of the next generation, along with the PSP2.

I can't wait to see the homebrew capabilities of those two beasts [​IMG]

3. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    WTF? So strong, I wonder what the price will be.
    Also it should be out in 2010 already. Damn, the few people who bought the PSP-GO are screwed!
    I would be so angry if I bought the PSP-GO and heard this news....

4. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Lol, PSP2 right after the release of PSPGo? Sony's gonna piss off a lot of people who bought the Go...

5. XtremeCore

Member XtremeCore GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was smiling at how technology advance so fast.

Handhelds are now the new Consoles, and I wonder what Consoles will become ...

6. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    *sigh*
    as if the go wasnt enough

7. DarkSpace

Member DarkSpace Custom member title

United States
    Consoles will become super consoles. Let's see if the PSP2 will capture the handheld market for Sony.

8. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Is this even real, along with the DS2? Last I heard, DS2 was only a rumor, this could very well be one as well.

No offense to the Sony fans (and i'm a partial one myself somewhat being a big fan of PS1 and PS2), but this thing has some bad ideas if the article is telling the truth-

1- No back compatibility
    2- Saying "developers will HAVE to get used to the new tech"
    3- just plain ditching the PSPGo, nice move Sony (morons)

Take #2 for a good example in the history of gaming. The Sega Saturn had very very poor third party support because the system was hard to code for and no one was familiar with the technology in it. It died, some say, thanks to this fact. Handheld graphics as good as today's PC power seems a little overblown considering the handheld market is less about extremely expensive power houses of consoles that usually cost $500 or so. If this is real, I can imagine it will be quite expensive, possibly breaking $250.

And for the things they didn't even mention that are important-

- design? How will the thing look?
    - battery consumption? Power is nothing if it only lasts for 1.5 hours
    - game format? Will it use a CD-type format, or digital downloads?
    - controls? Will they add a second analog stick this time?
    - size? a handheld the size of a gamegear isn't a true handheld
    - price? mentioned above, but all that fancy tech is quite expensive sounding
    - games? i'm troubled at gaming devices becoming more like media centers, having fewer real games
    - longevity? How long will it be before they just redesign THIS model and replace it like the last 4?
    - customer satisfaction? most importantly, they risk alienating gamers with releasing new stuff so fast and outmoding old

Like I said, wonder if this article is even real at all. We don't even know if DS2 is real. Both Nintendo AND Sony have JUST released new revisions of their handhelds (DSi and PSPgo). It's getting ridiculous with all the revisions. I'm skeptical as to whether any of this is real. If it is, it's getting really out of hand. You can't even go 2 years without your hardware being obsolete.

9. Hillsy_

Member Hillsy_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Welcome to the PC World, or thank the PC's for this.

You do make some valid points though, but only Sony or Nintendo will know when this will all happen.

10. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I'm wondering too how strong that battery has to be then, as well as price and size.
    Just like granville said, if the battery dies after 1,5-2 hours, the handheld is rubbish, I'm not buying anything under a 8 hour battery life, no matter how strong it is.

11. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    The DS2 and PSP2 may be coming, but not in 2010, not 2011 either. The WiiHD also won't be coming in 2011 like people says.

Just a way to tell that they don't know anything and talking out of their ass.

12. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    If true this thing will costs a shitload.

PSPgo is expensive enough for what it is.

13. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    I think portables don`t need to be more powerful than the PSP is for another 4 to 5 years... A price-point higher then what Sony is charching for the "Go" (more then the consols of both competitors) can`t be profatable...

SEGA was ahead its time with the GameGear but was the consumer ready for it... obviously NO!!!!

14. Technik

Member Technik GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Fixed.

And where is there comfirmation that the ds2 is real?
    If this is true then we have alot ahead of us. But the question is where are we gonna get the $400 they're probably gonna charge it for.

15. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Both the DSi and PSP Go are market experiments. Both companies were testing the waters for their next consoles, the actual successors to their current handhelds. They need some feedback for their ideas.

The DSi didn't go overboard with the changes, and it's doing pretty well. The PSP Go is neither here nor there and it isn't doing so great. So Nintendo can advance cautiously in the same direction, and Sony can learn from their mistakes. Let's hope they do.

16. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    Yeh, this thing sounds beast and all, but the price is gonna be damn sky high.

No backwards compatibility? Damn..

17. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    so is this psp2 comming next so like after psp go and ds2 gonna replace the dsi its still so new i need to know so i might not need a dsi

18. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    This thing needs some good games at launch that a lot of people will want to play, like a new Metal Gear Solid or something. It's great that it'll be this powerful, but it also needs to be cheap. Something at least less than 200 euros (this is also true for DS2). Finally, it needs to be at least partially backwards compatible.

If Sony can do this, I may buy it as well as the DS2. I'd love to play some of the PSP titles, but it's simply not interesting to buy a PSP right now.

Oh, and I forgot: bring UMD or something similar back!

19. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    The next generation handhelds are coming...maybe...

Again this is all pretty much rumors but I'd be very happy to see the DS2 be more powerful than the PSP2.

Also even though I got a DSi it'll still be 2011 at best before the DS2 even comes to America, so I won't be mad at all.

20. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    The PSP2 is most likely to have a $500+ price tag. The technology is extreme but it's going to come with a VIP price.