Hacking New 3DS FlashCart - Sky3DS firmware 9.0

blazeout123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hi! New to this site i was looking up some vids online and i came across this ^ . In the comments they state the the 10 game limit was a translation error and that there is a rewrite tool out link is also in the comments...what you guys think?

gokuguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a question.

I've seen copies in videos and such with a white button, while ones from resellers all seem to have a red button. Is there any known difference?

LaserZX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the ones in the videos also don't have the stickers, those are most likely prototypes whereas the ones bought showing the red ones are from the mass production. Or maybe from 2 separate productions?

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hi! New to this site i was looking up some vids online and i came across this in the comments they state the the 10 game limit was a translation error and that there is a rewrite tool out link is also in the comments...what you guys think?
I'd want to see confirmation on this first from someone who does know proper english.
SKY3DS site is pretty clear "IF you want more than 10 games, you'll need another card anyway." (So unless they imply more than 10 games at once...)
I believe the Diskwriter tool is to get the games on the card in the first place, not to overwrite games that are already on there or something similar.
Well the ones in the videos also don't have the stickers, those are most likely prototypes whereas the ones bought showing the red ones are from the mass production. Or maybe from 2 separate productions?
I'd guess prototype or earlier model.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If the guys behind the R4i managed to copy the Gateway linker im willing to bet real money that theyll do the same with Sky3DS on a greater scale with no limits and possible firmware updates.
The best thing to do is to buy a dirt cheap 3DS right now and to keep it on 9.x and play the waiting game till a better solution comes.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd want to see confirmation on this first from someone who does know proper english.
SKY3DS site is pretty clear "IF you want more than 10 games, you'll need another card anyway." (So unless they imply more than 10 games at once...)
I believe the Diskwriter tool is to get the games on the card in the first place, not to overwrite games that are already on there or something similar.

I'd guess prototype or earlier model.

Please check out the review, its clear as day.

I will say this, if the review states that its a breeze to swap games, play online with no issues, than its a solid win for those who can't downgrade to 4.5. The disadvantage is that its limited to 10 games per cart. I'm hoping someone finds a way because so far this seems to be in the right direction.

Pawed

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The diskwriter has been updated.

In the changelog, it says that the "delete game function" has been added.. I assume this doesn't change anything regarding the 10 game limit?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

In the changelog, it says that the "delete game function" has been added.. I assume this doesn't change anything regarding the 10 game limit?

Nope, only games in micro sd, Title ID remain flashed to the card.

Reactions: Pawed

LaserZX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's just to help those swapping games on a 8GB card or something, since they can't fit all 10 on at once.

Reactions: Pawed

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What information does it save to the cart itself? Can we copy that over to new roms to make it seem like the same rom. I know what I'm asking can disrupt gamesaves but its a given when you have to think of ideas like this to defeat a 10 game limit.

Dezmond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Great news. Now we have the Gateway with the drawback of only usable on <4.5 firmware and the Sky3DS with 10 game limit. Hopefully they combine these features in the near future. Tempting to buy the Sky3DS but will wait out, not many games I really need at the moment. With ORAS coming out this month and getting a free game already with the promo this year I am okay with playing 2 new games for a while.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna stay away from gbatemp for a while again. Its tempting me to jump on getting a 3DS, 2 of them that is, one with new firmware and another with the old. Thats almost 2 paychecks.

Kenneth196

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've emailed Sky 3DS a day or so ago asking if the 10 game limit will go away in the future... their response:

10 Game Limit‏

clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
10 Game Limit
Inquiry@SKY3DS ([email protected])
11/11/14
To: *Censored*
bluemanmxl.png

Hopefully we can find a solution sooner or later.

Inquiry@SKY3DS
*Censored*
11/11/14
bluemanmxl.png

Hello Sky 3DS,

I have a quick question regarding the 10 game limit for the Sky 3DS flashcart. Will this limit go away in the future? I want to buy the flashcart but not if it has a 10 game limit.

Thank you

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Poor Sky3DS Team must be really pissed by now ...

and not even them.

Here on the forum there are at least 10 posts EVERY day that confirm that there is a 10 Game limit .... since they first announced the limit -.-V
Still so many people write them every single day asking the same over and over again even though it is written all over gbatemp and other pages.

Sonicx64

任豚好騙!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems inevitable that somewhere down the line Sky3DS themselves or another company will release a card without the 10 game limit, it might even happen sooner if someone figures out a way to do it now by reverse engineering the current SKY3DS card.

Kenneth196

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poor Sky3DS Team must be really pissed by now ...

and not even them.

Here on the forum there are at least 10 posts EVERY day that confirm that there is a 10 Game limit .... since they first announced the limit -.-V
Still so many people write them every single day asking the same over and over again even though it is written all over gbatemp and other pages.

True, but what I did was ask them if there was a POSSIBILITY that the limit would be removed. All we're doing is speculating, but no-one has gone to the horse and asked it the question.

LaserZX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like it would be in Sky3DS' best interest to find a way to remove the limit ASAP before clones start showing up with the limit removed. It'd be the best way for Sky3DS to gain the most sales without losing them to a competitor.

Hopefully they're feeling that pressure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying