Hacking New 3DS FlashCart - Sky3DS firmware 9.0

gokuguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like it would be in Sky3DS' best interest to find a way to remove the limit ASAP before clones start showing up with the limit removed. It'd be the best way for Sky3DS to gain the most sales without losing them to a competitor.

Hopefully they're feeling that pressure.

This. Clones WILL come out with the limit broken soon. If Sky3DS doesn't step it up, others will blow past them.

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like it would be in Sky3DS' best interest to find a way to remove the limit ASAP before clones start showing up with the limit removed. It'd be the best way for Sky3DS to gain the most sales without losing them to a competitor.

Hopefully they're feeling that pressure.

We are very much spoiled by the the flexibility of the Gateway team and product. With Sky in this case, you get what you pay for, probably nothing else. Still where there is a hack there is a way. The secret to reuse appears to be in the W25Q16DV Flash device. A pic chip, raspberry pi, or arduino will make it happen using the SPI bus.

Reactions: Danjal

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This. Clones WILL come out with the limit broken soon. If Sky3DS doesn't step it up, others will blow past them.
They'll have a bit of a grace period - I don't know how long it generally takes to produce these cards in 'large' quantities.
But their time limit seems to be the time it takes for people to figure out how they did it, reproduce it and then mass produce it.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
How you guys can be Sure that its a DRM by Sky3DS?

What if its a Tech Limitation? How you can be so dure clones will come out without that limit?

Maybe Sky3DS forced themselves to release the Card in time for ORAS/Smash. Maybe its an unfinished Product and released it like that cuz couldnt figured out how to have that limit lifted and they didnt wanna miss ORAS?

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How you guys can be Sure that its a DRM by Sky3DS?

What if its a Tech Limitation? How you can be so dure clones will come out without that limit?

Maybe Sky3DS forced themselves to release the Card in time for ORAS/Smash. Maybe its an unfinished Product and released it like that cuz couldnt figured out how to have that limit lifted and they didnt wanna miss ORAS?
Its a bit like Shrödingers cat - untill either side is "proven", neither side is definitively correct so both are plausible/true.

If you assume its a tech limitation, you restrict yourself from looking into alternative routes by default.
There's a variety of options/theories open right now.
Ranging from "they purposefully chose limited hardware" to "its a software limitation".

So far there have been several people come up with potential solutions by looking at the hardware. Indicating that there really shouldn't be a practical reason why there is a 10 game limit (and thus its there by design/choice.)
There's a video of someone that got an 11th game working on one of these cards.
And there's someone that claims to have a way to 'wipe' the 10-limit list (but will reveal this 'tomorrow').

The reality being - we just don't know for sure yet either way. And everyone is far too eager to see how the cards will fall.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Its a bit like Shrödingers cat - untill either side is "proven", neither side is definitively correct so both are plausible/true.

If you assume its a tech limitation, you restrict yourself from looking into alternative routes by default.
There's a variety of options/theories open right now.
Ranging from "they purposefully chose limited hardware" to "its a software limitation".

So far there have been several people come up with potential solutions by looking at the hardware. Indicating that there really shouldn't be a practical reason why there is a 10 game limit (and thus its there by design/choice.)
There's a video of someone that got an 11th game working on one of these cards.
And there's someone that claims to have a way to 'wipe' the 10-limit list (but will reveal this 'tomorrow').

The reality being - we just don't know for sure yet either way. And everyone is far too eager to see how the cards will fall.
Source?

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Post about 11 games on the card and from the same thread this post, referring to the pictures that this kind person made visible for everyone (the originals had some linking problems but are found on the previous page of the same thread.)

The latter one seems more 'vague' since its a claim to reveal at a later date - but again, we'll have to see.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever. I don't care for a pirate card. Smea current plan is to release his exploit in two weeks. Than we will see some hombrew come out slowly afterwords.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Whatever. I don't care for a pirate card. Smea current plan is to release his exploit in two weeks. Than we will see some hombrew come out slowly afterwords.
Im kinda slow when it comes to homebrew and its community and I was wondering if Smeas exploit will be compatible with the latest current firmware?

gokuguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im kinda slow when it comes to homebrew and its community and I was wondering if Smeas exploit will be compatible with the latest current firmware?

Yes, yes it will. As far as I know though, there's still no word on what game we'll need to get started (as we will need a specific game for it).

Perhaps by the time I decide I'm ready for a 3DS flash cart, we will have a new one with either the limit removed or a larger limit of games (or at least allow the card to be cleared with a 2nd button or something).

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Quick question - Are you able to swap out ROMs without losing save files? I saw in the review that people have called it a "10-in-1 cartridge" which makes me worried that you can't even swap out the games/ROMs.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Quick question - Are you able to swap out ROMs without losing save files? I saw in the review that people have called it a "10-in-1 cartridge" which makes me worried that you can't even swap out the games/ROMs.
* Sky3DS DiskWriter V1.07 [11/12/2014]
Change logs:
* backup/restore games function added
* backup/restore save data function added
* delete game function added
* more games title updated in template file.

I would say thats a yes.

Reactions: LurkerA and Nepeta

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, yes it will. As far as I know though, there's still no word on what game we'll need to get started (as we will need a specific game for it).

Perhaps by the time I decide I'm ready for a 3DS flash cart, we will have a new one with either the limit removed or a larger limit of games (or at least allow the card to be cleared with a 2nd button or something).

I been fallowing his tweeter. The game is available as an eshop title, but not in all regions. Those guys will have to settle for the physical game card. Personally I wouldn't buy it digitally anyway, unless it is something embarrassing like barbie's horse racing or a littlest pet shop title lol.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I been fallowing his tweeter. The game is available as an eshop title, but not in all regions. Those guys will have to settle for the physical game card. Personally I wouldn't buy it digitally anyway, unless it is something embarrassing like barbie's horse racing or a littlest pet shop title lol.
And why would you care whether its physical or digital? Its not like you're getting it to show off your collection right?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
And why would you care whether its physical or digital? Its not like you're getting it to show off your collection right?
i think he meant he doesn't want to go buy a physical copy of barbie XD....you know like embarrassed in the shop, but really there's no reason to be embarrassed im sure once the name of the game is released even if it was barbie suddenly lots of guys would be buying the "neice/daughter" etc a "birthday present"

Reactions: Danjal

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i think he meant he doesn't want to go buy a physical copy of barbie XD....you know like embarrassed in the shop, but really there's no reason to be embarrassed im sure once the name of the game is released even if it was barbie suddenly lots of guys would be buying the "neice/daughter" etc a "birthday present"
Hehe, I guess there's that... I figured ordering it online or second hand generally allows you to get it for less... But eh.
And indeed, "Its a christmas present" B-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Yea