Hacking NeoGamma R9 beta

crownlessthing

Trophies
XP
Country
hi there

recently got back into GC backups when informed that Ikaruga (NTSC) was working with r9 41 and up, however i'm having a hell of a time getting to it work

my setup is: PAL wii 4.1, cIOS 56, mIOS v10, and neogamma r9 beta 44.

NOTE: as suggested in the compatibility list, i have patched the game with FstFix 1.5 with the 't s g' settings

one of three things happen when i try to play the game: a black screen, ERROR, TURN OFF POWER TO THE GAMECUBE, or the game loads to main menu, but subsequently ERRORs out
these outcomes seem to correspond with the INTERNAL, EXTERNAL and MIOS gamecube mode options, none of which are working for me

with the gamecube backup launcher 0.2, the game loads to menu, i pick start game and it returns to the (in-game) menu after a few seconds

Could someone pls help me with the options or otherwise methods i would need to play this game?
I am aware it is a problematic title, however the compatibility list suggests it was recently fixed

Thanks in advance

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
crownlessthing said:
hi there

recently got back into GC backups when informed that Ikaruga (NTSC) was working with r9 41 and up, however i'm having a hell of a time getting to it work

my setup is: PAL wii 4.1, cIOS 56, mIOS v10, and neogamma r9 beta 44.

NOTE: as suggested in the compatibility list, i have patched the game with FstFix 1.5 with the 't s g' settings

one of three things happen when i try to play the game: a black screen, ERROR, TURN OFF POWER TO THE GAMECUBE, or the game loads to main menu, but subsequently ERRORs out
these outcomes seem to correspond with the INTERNAL, EXTERNAL and MIOS gamecube mode options, none of which are working for me

with the gamecube backup launcher 0.2, the game loads to menu, i pick start game and it returns to the (in-game) menu after a few seconds

Could someone pls help me with the options or otherwise methods i would need to play this game?
I am aware it is a problematic title, however the compatibility list suggests it was recently fixed

Thanks in advance

Do you have a modchip? The Ikaruga fix i wrote is for backups on a wii without modchip.

Also, only the result with GC mode internal is interesting, i expect the others to just boot MIOS, which does fail to load any backup if you don't have a modchip. If GC mode MIOS loads any backup for you, you either have a modchip, or you have the wrong cMIOS!

I think the game should boot to the main menu under all circumstances, and then, when you try to actually start the game,
1. crash if the ,iso is broken(shrunk without respecting 32K alignment for audio streams)
2. throw you back to the main if audio streams are handled the old way(the way that works for Eternal Darkness for example)
or
3. run as expected

To fix (1), you need to set NeoGamma to audio fix: "32K"
To fix (2), you need to set NeoGamma to audio fix: "yes"
To fix (1)+(2), you need to set NeoGamma to audio fix; "yes + 32K"
And that should be done automatically for this game if you select "auto" as audio fix option

crownlessthing

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
Do you have a modchip? The Ikaruga fix i wrote is for backups on a wii without modchip.

Also, only the result with GC mode internal is interesting, i expect the others to just boot MIOS, which does fail to load any backup if you don't have a modchip. If GC mode MIOS loads any backup for you, you either have a modchip, or you have the wrong cMIOS!

I think the game should boot to the main menu under all circumstances, and then, when you try to actually start the game,
1. crash if the ,iso is broken(shrunk without respecting 32K alignment for audio streams)
2. throw you back to the main if audio streams are handled the old way(the way that works for Eternal Darkness for example)
or
3. run as expected

To fix (1), you need to set NeoGamma to audio fix: "32K"
To fix (2), you need to set NeoGamma to audio fix: "yes"
To fix (1)+(2), you need to set NeoGamma to audio fix; "yes + 32K"
And that should be done automatically for this game if you select "auto" as audio fix option

Thanks for the quick reply

No i do not have a mod chip, only HBC by way of Bannerbomb

Unfortuantely the black screen issue remains for INTERNAL mode, and MIOS mode allows me to get to the game's main menu before it displays the TURN OFF POWER error

the mios version i just installed was Custom-RVL-mios-64-v10.wad using wad installer

Yes, the audio fix was already set to auto. Are there any essential options i've left unchecked?

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ah, so you are trying to run a retail disc?

The error you get is at the moment when the game 1st tries to play an audio stream. As workaround you can eject and reinsert the game disc after booting the game, but before the error occurs.

If you install the cMIOS from this thread, then internal GC mode should work, and with that you don't need the workaround.

0bsur3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
WiiPower said:
Ah, so you are trying to run a retail disc?

The error you get is at the moment when the game 1st tries to play an audio stream. As workaround you can eject and reinsert the game disc after booting the game, but before the error occurs.

If you install the cMIOS from this thread, then internal GC mode should work, and with that you don't need the workaround.

I already tried that, but don't know if with correctly cMIOS, I'll try and says to you if worked or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have another question, I've downloaded "Zelda Ocarina of Time" and "Zelda Majoras Mask", there's a way to install it with Wad Manager, then copy to SD card, and then UNINSTALL it with wad manager? (because if I just DELETE if from the "memory of WII, the BLOCKS doesn't back)

I don't know if you understood my question, the ICON shows on WII MENU, but I play with SD CARD, not from the WII MEMORY,

OR... load it with a software from the SD, something like that

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
fudgenuts64 said:
I read the wish list, and it seems there's no way to use WiiRD codes with backups. Am I correct?

I didn't mean to say it like that. I just wanted see if there was a way to use it. Anyway, are there any specific setting I need for TimeSplitters 2? For the life of me I can't get it to load past the loading screen before it DRE's.

crownlessthing

Trophies
XP
Country
ok got Ikaruga working fine (except for the BGM, but who cares really?)

yeah my fault sorry, confused mIOS rev 10 with the RVL v10 i was supposed to get

thanks for keeping up the good work!

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
fudgenuts64 said:
WiiPower said:
fudgenuts64 said:
I read the wish list, and it seems there's no way to use WiiRD codes with backups. Am I correct?

I didn't mean to say it like that. I just wanted see if there was a way to use it. Anyway, are there any specific setting I need for TimeSplitters 2? For the life of me I can't get it to load past the loading screen before it DRE's.

What i meant is that it is included in NeoGamma's source, but because it's unstable by design and without mem2 access it can't be done in a stable way, it's disabled and you need to compile it yourself.

I don't see anything specific required for TimeSplitters 2 in the compatiblity list. Does the latest NeoGamma warn about audio streams? Did you shrink the game? Is the game from the correct region?

Mega-Zelda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jordan
Mega-Zelda said:
WiiPower said:
damysteryman said:
[..]OK, I got a debug log, from the time I loaded the game, to the time I went to a dungeon, and tried to load the map. The map... worked fine...

...but I am using a backup + softmod, not a hardmod.
But I did enablle Ocarina and set hooktype to VI, just to see if it would have made the map crash the game, but it did not.

I am not sure if there is even anything useful in my log...

Setup:
MIOS v4 with Wiigator's GCBL 0.2 in it
cIOS249 rev19 base38
NeoGamma R9 b44

Gamecube Mode: internal
Backup plugin: Debug
Patched MIOS: Yes

GC Hooktype: VI
GC Ocarina: Yes

Log:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nkvuzk6lf108yk8

Would you need me to test it with my modchip?
If so, what settings should I use in the "zelda+modchip" test (Ocarina y/n etc.)?

No, a modchip would cause a problem here, patched MIOS doesn't work when you have a modchip. Your log is missing the debug output from the MIOS itself, there should be more stuff between the reads before you even get the 1st screen of the game.

Either i messed the printf in one revision up and it works in some older revision, or the printf pattern only works for a certain MIOS. The comment in the code says it's only for MIOSv5, i fear that might be the problem.

I can't test this right now, i will do some testing myself and then tell you exactly what you need to do to get the MIOS debug output. If you really want to you can try with a cMIOS based on MIOSv5 or MIOSv10, but you don't need to before i know what's the problem.

Thank you very much so far!

thx for your efforts damysteryman
grog.gif

good luck with your testing WiiPower
yay.gif

plz tell me the results when you're done
bow.gif

thx in advance
biggrin.gif

hi WiiPower
i know that you're busy from head to toe
but is there any progress in Zelda Wind Waker NTSC

thx in advance

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
fudgenuts64 said:
WiiPower said:
fudgenuts64 said:

What i meant is that it is included in NeoGamma's source, but because it's unstable by design and without mem2 access it can't be done in a stable way, it's disabled and you need to compile it yourself.

I don't see anything specific required for TimeSplitters 2 in the compatiblity list. Does the latest NeoGamma warn about audio streams? Did you shrink the game? Is the game from the correct region?
The game is not shrunk and it is from the correct region, however it is on a multi-game disc. NeoGamma does not warn about audio streams.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Maybe it's actually a disc read error what you get? Maybe you want to improve the reading speed for the game by putting it as the last game on a multi game disc.

montymintypie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I'm unable to launch games off a Multiboot disc containing Rogue Squadron 2 and F Zero GX.

I have cIOS56rev20 (249) and the cMIOS linked in the first post. Instead of recognising it a a multiboot disc, it just says it contains Rogue Squadron and tries to launch it. It gets to 'launching game...' then stops (waited 5 mins, nothing).

I have a PAL Wii, and these are NTSC games which I compressed with the multiboot ISO maker linked in the first post, fixed with Fstfix t, and I chose PAL as my system type in the Multiboot ISO maker.

What's gone wrong?

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Did you use fstfix on the multi boot image? If yes, that's the problem, you are supposed to use fstfix on the single game images and then pack them to a multi boot disc.

montymintypie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
Did you use fstfix on the multi boot image? If yes, that's the problem, you are supposed to use fstfix on the single game images and then pack them to a multi boot disc.
Nope, used it on the single images then packed into a multi boot.

After some testing, I think I may have a corrupted image instead - the other game launches fine (I didn't realise the arrows changed game selection on a multiboot
wacko.gif
) and also works fine burnt onto a single disc. Rogue Squadron, however, does not work even when burnt to a single disc - so I'm pretty sure it's a bad ISO...

Mega-Zelda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jordan
hallelujah
yay.gif
grog.gif
toot.gif
hrth.gif
rofl.gif