Homebrew Neo geo emulator with bootmii?

Fellipepb07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if I'm wrong but, people are saying that with bootmii, they are going to start a new era of homebrew!

The programs will run without the system ios...is that right?

I was thnking...people said that real neo geo emulation was impossible due to system limitations..now with bootmii will we see it?

sorry if I am wrong...anyway just trying to participate! 
smileipb2.png

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
BootMii does not increase the RAM size, which is Neo Geo emulator limitation so the answer is no.
Bootmii however gives access to both Wii CPU ("Starlet" ARM and PowerPC) which theorically could let a talented developper have more horsepower for emulating more complex systems.

However, since Starlet is also the only one being able to access Wii specific hardware (like SD/USB slots, Wiimote, etc), this is more likely it will still need to run some kind of IOS and therefore still limits the available horsepower as it currently is with libogc applications. I believe BootMii goal is to run a linux like OS on Starlet to get ride of all nintendo proprietary code, that's all. Unfortunately, this only gives more opportunities to developper, not more horsepower for emulators.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The problem is just that now you can use libogc to call the IOS for hardware stuff. And with mini you would have to integrate drivers for every hardware you want to use. I think eventually all needed drivers will be available, but it will take its time.

dlxowhd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, neogeo games run perfect at full speed on my psp, and i'm sure wii has a more powerful hardware than psp, so......

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
the problem is not speed, it is ROM size
currently, neogeo emulators on system with limited RAM (like the Wii and more over the NDS) have to stream ROMS in real-time from SD (this was also working like this for the VBA port on Gamecube)

optimized streaming "only" need to be implemented in GnGeo and as always, the only reason it has not been done yet is that there are only a few dev out there willing to spend their free time for the mass, something most of people seems to always forget, so...

PS: the DS emulator is not *perfect*, it still lacks FM music and a few graphics effects

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jacobeian said:
the problem is not speed, it is ROM size
currently, neogeo emulators on system with limited RAM (like the Wii and more over the NDS) have to stream ROMS in real-time from SD (this was also working like this for the VBA port on Gamecube)

optimized streaming "only" need to be implemented in GnGeo and as always, the only reason it has not been done yet is that there are only a few dev out there willing to spend their free time for the mass, something most of people seems to always forget, so...

PS: the DS emulator is not *perfect*, it still lacks FM music and a few graphics effects
True, but it works perfect for me ^^

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
The Wiis main memory 24+64mb has some limits. I can't remember or find all the details, but on wiibrew it says.... a configurable range is exclusive for use by the Starlet (IOS reserves the top 12MB), the rest is shared with the Broadway.

I'm sure I read elsewhere that the menu etc also applies other limits and I believe that MINI will allow developers to use these extras. I asked around but couldn't get a deffinitive answer.

I'd assume that Neo Geo & N64 will be able to get more memory plus some extra horse power from the cpu, so imo they should come on more, but obviously it's gonna take time for developers to get used to the new set of rules. But as Jacobeian & WiiPower state, drivers will be required, whether they are new and pupose built or devs link to the IOS already there, I have no idea, it will then take some of the extras away.

This should really be in the Wii - Emulation section of forums.

dark42

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why would Neo Geo emulation be impossible? You can buy Neo Geo VC games on Shop Channel, and I'm pretty sure those use an emulator (either that or they use some sort of secret government/alien technology to run on the Wii). If Nintendo could make one why not the talented developers in the Wii homebrew scene?

Besides if you want a Neo Geo emulator NOW you can always inject the ROM into Nintendo's emulator and play that way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc