Need to send in WiiU to Nintendo to replace the fan, what to do before hand?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by UranusKiller, Jan 14, 2015.

1. UranusKiller
    OP

UranusKiller TranceMaster

Feb 9, 2009
    Redcar, England, UK.
    What's the protocol, simply removing the Homebrew Chanel? transferring it over to SD? Formatting vWii?

2. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Australia
    Queensland, Australia
    Once you put it on there is no removing the evidence. If they find it they will send the unit back not fixed. They may not check as it is a hardware fault, but you never know.....

3. UranusKiller
    OP

Feb 9, 2009
    Redcar, England, UK.
    True, I will just move the HBC over to SD. It's in the notes on my account that the user knows or at-least believes the sole problem lies with the fan bearing, bad fan. It would be strange for them to enter the Wii mode, they'd have no reason too. Power the WiiU on, hear the sound, open it up, power it on again, doctor who figures it's the fan, replaces it, put the housing back together, power the unit on, check disk drive boots correctly and all display appears fine? Here's hoping anyway. I'll record a video showing my Wii-U and it's serial to prove it was working 100% before shipping.

4. user1984

user1984 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2010
    United States
    It probably wouldn't be too difficult to replace the fan yourself.

Dr.Hacknik likes this.
  5. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    Several people (myself included) have sent in Wii U's with homebrew on them and have received a repair (or replacement) without a question. It seems Nintendo is largely unconcerned with/not checking for vWii hacks.

6. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    If you really want to send it in, then backup data and format the entire system, it'll wipe any hacks/logs on it...it's like a clean slate all over again!

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Make sure you don't leave the SD card in. I have heard of cases where they refused to repair Wiis because there was homebrew on the SD card.

8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    THIS pretty sure the wiiu uses a normal 5v fan so get one off ebay, open the wiiu, unplug it, put new fan it presto!

9. UranusKiller
    OP

Feb 9, 2009
    Redcar, England, UK.
    Ohwell, sent it in, HBC and save removed from vwii, other than installing the HBC I didn't use it ever. Removed SD, disk, and sent her in with a nice cushion of support lol.

10. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Have you ever done this? I will admit I've never tried wiping my Wii U, but I've read multiple accounts of this still leaving code behind (checkable through the HackMii installer)

11. Kargaroc

Kargaroc GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2013
    United States
    Why the hell would you send in a Wii U with the SD card still in?!? And, more importantly, why would they look at whats on your SD card!?!