Hacking NDSTokyoTrim - batch trimmer with wifi detection

philco1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think your Hex editor is wrong.

Leave this conversation to adults eh ... This statement was priceless. OMG I still cant stop laughing at it
rofl2.gif

This conversation made my day.

retman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dstrimmer, i think what retman is trying to say is that he doesn't like you using the term wifi to indicate that a game has download play (i'm not to sure if yoshi's has download play or not). He believes that wifi means that the game is playable online. He believes this since the WiFi logo is only on games which are playable or do something online (hence the picture of the case he presented as his proof). Your term WiFi indicates that the game has the extra data that needs to be kept which is used for download play or online play (presumably). Its just a misunderstanding.

bow.gif

Exactly Someone finally understood.

I believe my term of Wi Fi is much better but i guess it IS your program so you CAN confuse me and possibly other people.

Anyways, now that has been sorted could we leave this?

philco1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
retman I'd like to clear this up in dstrimmer's defence.

A Wi-Fi enabled device such as a PC, cell phone or PDA can connect to the Internet when within range of a wireless network connected to the Internet. The area covered by one or several interconnected access points is called a hotspot. Hotspots can cover as little as a single room with wireless-opaque walls or as much as many square miles covered by overlapping access points. Wi-Fi can also be used to create a mesh network. Both architectures are used in community networks.

Wi-Fi also allows connectivity in peer-to-peer (wireless ad-hoc network) mode, which enables devices to connect directly with each other. This connectivity mode is useful in consumer electronics and gaming applications.

In other words, dstrimmer's definition of wifi includes the later paragraph while yours only includes the former. Hence, you are both correct, but dstrimmer is more correct ;D. Nintendo just needed some dumb way to indicate that their games were playable online and thus they put the wifi logo on the box w/o realizing that wifi also means that the game supports download play. Blame Nintendo for that one ;D

Martytoof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance that we can get an option to toggle the background picture on or off? Short story is that I run all my DS Windows apps here at work and I doubt it would go over too well with someone walking by looking over my shoulder.

betawind

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Any chance that we can get an option to toggle the background picture on or off? Short story is that I run all my DS Windows apps here at work and I doubt it would go over too well with someone walking by looking over my shoulder.

Might want to read the entirety of this thread before asking that question...long story..

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't change the "WiFi" thing. It's not your problem if people don't understand what "WiFi" really means.

BTW, WiFi = Wireless Fidelity

Ad-hoc and online connectivity are both considered "WiFi".

IF you can make the program detect between ad-hoc and online WiFi, maybe you could have that distinction....like; ad-hoc, or ad-hoc/online, or just online depending on the game, to suit the people whining about it. Or maybe something like "WiFi" or "WiFi"....blue for online. Something like that, otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

R4Chuck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
I agree with Rayder's suggestion to just leave it as it is. If people here are too stupid to comprehend that the term encompasses both online and ad-hoc, then they probably shouldn't be using your program.

retman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wouldn't change the "WiFi" thing. It's not your problem if people don't understand what "WiFi" really means.

BTW, WiFi = Wireless Fidelity

Ad-hoc and online connectivity are both considered "WiFi".

IF you can make the program detect between ad-hoc and online WiFi, maybe you could have that distinction....like; ad-hoc, or ad-hoc/online, or just online depending on the game, to suit the people whining about it. Or maybe something like "WiFi" or "WiFi"....blue for online. Something like that, otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

I gathered that ages ago...thanks for your 'input'

I agree with Rayder's suggestion to just leave it as it is. If people here are too stupid to comprehend that the term encompasses both online and ad-hoc, then they probably shouldn't be using your program.

count yourself lucky i don't know where you live bitch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!