nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country
That still seems to be the normal/dldi branch, and that means that it's not the card branch. AKA that version that you got there doesn't load retail ROMs.
624cf23 is from the card branch (specifically its this commit: https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/commit/624cf23f0d27e74f884a9c4a6cf0e1287b003c9a which doesn't appear on the master branch)

Even if it doesn't, it doesn't explain why the dldi from this thread still doesn't work for me with a NDS that is marked as working on the compatibility list and being discussed in this thread.

Last edited by Elaugaufein,

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
624cf23 is from the card branch (specifically its this commit: https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/commit/624cf23f0d27e74f884a9c4a6cf0e1287b003c9a which doesn't appear on the master branch)

Even if it doesn't, it doesn't explain why the dldi from this thread still doesn't work for me with a NDS that is marked as working on the compatibility list and being discussed in this thread.
I STILL doubt it does work with retail ROMs either, since it's called "bootstrap-dldi.nds", and the one that DOES work with retail ROMs is "bootstrap-card.nds".

Bottom of the line, IDK if it does compile something from the card branch, but the files still are the ones that are compatible with homebrew, not with commercial games.

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country
I STILL doubt it does work with retail ROMs either, since it's called "bootstrap-dldi.nds", and the one that DOES work with retail ROMs is "bootstrap-card.nds".

Bottom of the line, IDK if it does compile something from the card branch, but the files still are the ones that are compatible with homebrew, not with commercial games.

Ahah! That might explain my problem with the one from this thread then, I thought card meant card as in flash card. The file in the zip in this thread is bootstrap-dldi.nds as well and I didn't rename it before I tried to use it with TWL Loader.

ETA - Heh. I just deleted both DLDI files and I still get the exact same error. Yes, it would appear something is very definitely not working here. I'll nuke and reinstall later when there's more stability and I can better ascertain if its something to do with my specific setup.

Last edited by Elaugaufein,

Svaethier

Trophies
Website
s6.zetaboards.com
XP
Country
United States

The bootstrap has always been the thing that launched nds ROMs though, never had to change the bootstrap-card.nds. the newest dldi commit probably broke the ROMs is all therefore doesn't work with nds ROMs.

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The bootstrap has always been the thing that launched nds ROMs though, never had to change the bootstrap-card.nds. the newest dldi commit probably broke the ROMs is all therefore doesn't work with nds ROMs.
It's that the bootstrap-card.nds its the one that loads the RETAIL ROMS. The dldi one only loads homebrew and demos.

ahezard

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Most builds of the card branch are actually called bootstrap-dldi.nds, even though they have no DLDI support.
Yes the file produced by a build is currently called bootstrap-dldi.nds regardless if they are builded from the card branch or not and regardless if they support retail rom or dldi, robz8 renamed it to bootstrap-card.nds to allow to have 2 of them into twloader. Use only the released version from this thread or the ones embedded in twloader and stop to use the latest commits, they are most often broken or slow or the compatibility is worse, we are working. When we will have some real improvment there will be another release.

Svaethier

Trophies
Website
s6.zetaboards.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes the file produced by a build is currently called bootstrap-dldi.nds regardless if they are builded from the card branch or not and regardless if they support retail rom or dldi, robz8 renamed it to bootstrap-card.nds to allow to have 2 of them into twloader. Use only the released version from this thread or the ones embedded in twloader and stop to use the latest commits, they are most often broken or slow or the compatibility is worse, we are working. When we will have some real improvment there will be another release.
Unofficial from twloader didn't even work neither did official :|

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unofficial from twloader didn't even work neither did official :|

just wait.

its still alpha at best. give some time people. this is a mammoth project.

rom Rome wasn't built in a day

Last edited by Flame,

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
So far, I've tried to run MKDS, SM64DS, NSMB and all of them never loaded :wink:
Try two things, one after another:
1. Use the official release instead of the unofficial commit links you see around here.
2. Mario Kart DS DOES work, but requires having a cartridge inserted that its of the same save type chip of MKDS (MKDS, AC:WW, YGWC2008, etc), and WAAAAIIITING, since you must wait for it to load (And even then, after it loads the title screen, after getting through the menus you must wait ANOTHER while for the race to start). The other 2 games are reported that currently don't work though.

EDIT: Removed erroneous extra quote in post.

Last edited by TheArcadeStriker,

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
If this seems like tl;dr to you, just read the end of the post.

Working games without cartridge inserted:
Bomberman [USA]
Bust-A-Move [USA]
Custom Robo Arena (Slow video playback, loading times might be long) [USA]
GoldenEye Rogue Agent
Megaman ZX (Slow video playback) [USA]
Megaman ZX Advent (Slow video playback and voice dialogue slowdown) [USA]
Nanostray (Loading times might be long) [USA]
Power Play Pool
Space Invaders DS
Yoshi Touch and Go [USA, EUR]
WarioWare Touched (Can have loading times for microgames) [USA, EUR]
Zoo Keeper [USA]

Working games that need to have a compatible cartridge inserted:
Big Brain Academy (Minor sound issues) [USA]
Mario Kart DS (Loading times might be long) [USA]
Tetris DS (Top screen in menus is white) [USA]
Worms Open Warfare [USA]
Zaidan Houji Nihon Kanji [JAP]

Games that work but have issues:
Electroplankton (Serious graphical glitches) [USA, JAP]
Phoenix Wright AA/JFA (Slowdown) [USA]
Picross DS (Can only play until the tutorial, needs compatible cartridge inserted) [USA]

Games that boot but are unplayable:
Elf Bowling 1 and 2 (Only the menu works) [USA]
Fullmetal Alchemist Dual Sympathy (Error without cart inserted, shows logos then freezes with cart inserted)
Game & Watch Collection ("Save data is corrupted" error, having a cart inserted wasn't tested yet) [USA]
Game & Watch Collection 2 ("Save data is corrupted" error, having a cart inserted wasn't tested yet) [USA]
Kirby Squeak Squad (Error without cart inserteed, white screen with cart inserted) [USA]
Nanostray 2 ("Communication Error" screen) [USA]
PictoChat ("Communication error. The Nintendo DS will now shut down.")
Pokémon Ranger (Hangs and makes weird noises when it gets to the "Touch the lower screen!" display)

Currently:
Total booting games: 28
Total working games: 20
Total playable games: 17 (You can count the first 2 games with issues if you want too)
Total playable games without a cart inserted: 12

Reactions: raphamotta

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this seems like tl;dr to you, just read the end of the post.

Working games without cartridge inserted:
Bomberman [USA]
Bust-A-Move [USA]
Custom Robo Arena (Slow video playback, loading times might be long) [USA]
GoldenEye Rogue Agent
Megaman ZX (Slow video playback) [USA]
Megaman ZX Advent (Slow video playback and voice dialogue slowdown) [USA]
Nanostray (Loading times might be long) [USA]
Power Play Pool
Space Invaders DS
Yoshi Touch and Go [USA, EUR]
WarioWare Touched (Can have loading times for microgames) [USA, EUR]
Zoo Keeper [USA]

Working games that need to have a compatible cartridge inserted:
Big Brain Academy (Minor sound issues) [USA]
Mario Kart DS (Loading times might be long) [USA]
Tetris DS (Top screen in menus is white) [USA]
Worms Open Warfare [USA]
Zaidan Houji Nihon Kanji [JAP]

Games that work but have issues:
Electroplankton (Serious graphical glitches) [USA, JAP]
Phoenix Wright AA/JFA (Slowdown) [USA]
Picross DS (Can only play until the tutorial, needs compatible cartridge inserted) [USA]

Games that boot but are unplayable:
Elf Bowling 1 and 2 (Only the menu works) [USA]
Fullmetal Alchemist Dual Sympathy (Error without cart inserted, shows logos then freezes with cart inserted)
Game & Watch Collection ("Save data is corrupted" error, having a cart inserted wasn't tested yet) [USA]
Game & Watch Collection 2 ("Save data is corrupted" error, having a cart inserted wasn't tested yet) [USA]
Kirby Squeak Squad (Error without cart inserteed, white screen with cart inserted) [USA]
Nanostray 2 ("Communication Error" screen) [USA]
PictoChat ("Communication error. The Nintendo DS will now shut down.")
Pokémon Ranger (Hangs and makes weird noises when it gets to the "Touch the lower screen!" display)

Currently:
Total booting games: 28
Total working games: 20
Total playable games: 17 (You can count the first 2 games with issues if you want too)
Total playable games without a cart inserted: 12
Some of us where able to run other games such as Professor Layton 1 in pre alpha comits. I don't think this is just as true as it shoul. Also, afaik, there is one pre alpha bould that works better than the first oficial release.

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Some of us where able to run other games such as Professor Layton 1 in pre alpha comits. I don't think this is just as true as it shoul. Also, afaik, there is one pre alpha bould that works better than the first oficial release.
Well, if you can, you should try to see if Professor Layton does work in the first official release, since I based that list there in the compat list of the nds-bootstrap https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M7MxYQzVhb4604esdvo57a7crSvbGzFIdotLW0bm0Co/edit#gid=0

I guess there may be some few games that also work too, but they aren't added in the compat list yet.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TheArcadeStriker we have a Update!
Github Commit: 0880a18
Game Changed: Elf Bowling 1&2
Status Changed: Working Game1 now loads and so does Game 2.

i'll make room on my card and start testing previous Whitescreening games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Why does Psi have PMS?