Hardware NAND Flash Dump (3DS)

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you don't want to play most games, don't want to use themes, don't want to use miiverse, don't want to use eshop, don't want to use dlc, etc etc, then sure, dump 1.0 fw and keep a copy of it :)

Eh, it could be useful in some aspects. For example, if you wanted to be able to use different games to grab dumps of most firmwares up to 9.3 you probably could do that. Although the 3 big firmwares you'd want are 4.5, 8.1, and 9.2. IIRC Gateway is also planning to support 8.1 now that some people will be stuck on it with their N3DS. And if you needed to go to any firmware lower than what you have (and you don't have a backup) you can just downgrade to 1.0 and then bounce back up using another game.

Reactions: Margen67

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I have tried this and after desoldering the 3Ds's card slot, I got a look under it and decided to resolder it and try this project another time. Well, when I resoldered the three points again,(the top left and right, and bottom right) I turned on my 3ds and it worked and all. However, it wouldn't read any type of game carts. So I reopened it and made sure no solder was on other points and it wasn't. So I tried to put another game in but when I turned my 3ds on, the bottom screen was pink/purple. And it still won't read the cards. What do I do? Please help!!

Peck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
looks like CMD is shorted with ground, get some desoldering wick and get all that solder off the board........but it also looks like your using I high temp soldering iron use a lower watt soldering iron and don't just hold it on the points

Plus you have ripped one of the pads off... Personally I would suggest you leave it as is, if you get it booting again

It's been a while since we tried to fix my 3ds. We couldn't get it to work. If here's someone on this forum more skillful than us who could actually fix this I would gladly send it and of course pay for it. Anyone? I live in Finland.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's been a while since we tried to fix my 3ds. We couldn't get it to work. If here's someone on this forum more skillful than us who could actually fix this I would gladly send it and of course pay for it. Anyone? I live in Finland.
hmmmm well tbh anyone who agrees to look at it would most likely not be able to say for certain that they could 100% fix it unless they are planning to just switch the motherboard.....so depending on the person you would probably end up paying and not being guaranteed a fix

tbh just buying a replacement motherboard may be a better option for you at this point, as long as you feel you can fit it fine yourself

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
hmmmm well tbh anyone who agrees to look at it would most likely not be able to say for certain that they could 100% fix it unless they are planning to just switch the motherboard.....so depending on the person you would probably end up paying and not being guaranteed a fix

tbh just buying a replacement motherboard may be a better option for you at this point, as long as you feel you can fit it fine yourself

That's what I did to that last console a customer tried to do the NAND HW mod himself... we ended up switching his motherboard as the original remained dead no matter what I tried

Lordmau5

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys!

So, I'm trying to apply a NAND-HW-Mod to my 3DS-system, so I can do NAND backups and restore them later on, if I accidentally update again.

However, I tried it with soldering tin on the CLK point on the back of the motherboard, but it didn't want to stick.
I cancelled modding my console before and assembled it again. Good thing that it still works, so I'm glad I didn't break anything there.

Now my question: What do I need for the wires to stick to the actual points, since the soldering tin doesn't properly work?

Also, I would like to get gamesquest1 into this topic, because his HW-mod is just the best
(https://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds.353263/page-2#post-4938806)
DSC_0838.jpg
I'm curious on how you did that. Would REALLY like to know, because it is just the best way to do it, since I don't really want to have cables out of my 3DS everywhere.

~ Greetings :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
look at your motherboard, some OG 3DS consoles have a CLK point below the normal nand access points(i'll try find the picture of it, for people who arent that experienced in soldering having one of the OG 3ds consoles with the extra CLK point would be a godsend :lol:
ok i just made a quick example image to see if you have one of the extra CLK point models
CTR_NAND_pinout.jpg

and in regards to the port, you can pretty much use any port+connector that has 4 pins available, PS i suggest maybe using something other than a USB port though, someone completely bricked their 3DS recently by plugging a standard USB cable into the port, if you know nobody will accidentally try plugging a phone charger or USB cable into it feel free to use a USB port as they are cheap and easy to get.....but dont risk it if you leave your 3DS around others :P

personally i stopped using the USB ports a while back as i figured someone would eventually end up screwing it up by plugging a standard USB cable into it, better safe than sorry ....but good luck

Lordmau5

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ye, I have that extra CLK port and I tried to use it.

Though, as I've said, the wire didn't want to stick to that point...
I used normal soldering tin (well, more or less my dad assisted me with it) and we tried it ~10 times, no luck with it sticking to the mb...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Ye, I have that extra CLK port and I tried to use it.

Though, as I've said, the wire didn't want to stick to that point...
I used normal soldering tin (well, more or less my dad assisted me with it) and we tried it ~10 times, no luck with it sticking to the mb...
oh, no some have 3 points, the one under the card reader, another tiny one on the back, and apparently some have one below CMD....personally never seen one myself, but it was confirmed they do exist

refer to the crudely edited image :P

Lordmau5

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
oh, no some have 3 points, the one under the card reader, another tiny one on the back, and apparently some have one below CMD....personally never seen one myself, but it was confirmed they do exist

refer to the crudely edited image :P

Oh THAT one! I see it on the picture now.
And no, sadly I don't have that one on my 3DS MB :/

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Oh THAT one! I see it on the picture now.
And no, sadly I don't have that one on my 3DS MB :/
well lest advice is get really thin wire, get it positioned perfectly over the point, bit of flux and solder it down, hold the wire down so it doesn't ping off/slip when removing the soldering iron.

but the most important thing is to have it secured in place before soldering, its a small point, so you don't want to have any tugging as you route the wire after soldering, route, position, secure, solder :P

Lordmau5

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay, I might give it another attempt later today with my dad.
Or tomorrow, will see.

If it doesn't work though, I'm gonna send it in and get the hw-mod from someone else for a payment.

So you say doing it with a usb-connector like that is not good?
How about some.. I don't know... old HDD connector or something, that not every person is carrying around?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Okay, I might give it another attempt later today with my dad.
Or tomorrow, will see.

If it doesn't work though, I'm gonna send it in and get the hw-mod from someone else for a payment.

So you say doing it with a usb-connector like that is not good?
How about some.. I don't know... old HDD connector or something, that not every person is carrying around?
yeah you can use anything really.....pin headers are nice and easy to do....have a look on ebay, there's plenty of types of little ports that you can use.......if its only you using the 3ds or you trust you family and friends not to mess up, you can use a USB port fine......not using one just takes out the element of risk :)

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys!

So, I'm trying to apply a NAND-HW-Mod to my 3DS-system, so I can do NAND backups and restore them later on, if I accidentally update again.
However, I tried it with soldering tin on the CLK point on the back of the motherboard, but it didn't want to stick.
I cancelled modding my console before and assembled it again. Good thing that it still works, so I'm glad I didn't break anything there.

Now my question: What do I need for the wires to stick to the actual points, since the soldering tin doesn't properly work?

Also, I would like to get gamesquest1 into this topic, because his HW-mod is just the best
(https://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds.353263/page-2#post-4938806)
DSC_0838.jpg
I'm curious on how you did that. Would REALLY like to know, because it is just the best way to do it, since I don't really want to have cables out of my 3DS everywhere.

~ Greetings :)

I do NOT know how experience you or your dad are but for others here are some key tips:
clean area good with rubbing alcohol(isopropyl) 90% or >
USE flux.(VERY important and not just flux that maybe in solder but separate FLUX)
pre tin both sides (motherboard and wire)(heat the target NOT the solder). Solder with separate flux should flow/be drawn towards heat.

Do NOT overheat pads on motherboard. Good Luck (if you can experiment with less important/critical/easier to access places on motherboard or separate circuit board.)

Edited after mech's comments below.
I have seen people screw up their nand job by using the wrong gauge wire. I would only recommend 30 awg or higher wire(higher number means thinner diameter, lower awg means thicker width).The thicker the wire the more heat it needs. The more likely the problems. And you do not want to have a lot of extra wire "weight" that can tug/rip the pads off or damage them in any way.

Reactions: Deleted-355425
D

Deleted-355425

you iron should only be on the pad for a second when attaching the flying leads. use thin gauge lead solder for ease, get your iron nice and hot and make sure to get it nice and clean. if its black or dirty it needs cleaning before applying to the pad. add solder to both parts then like i said add the iron to the point and add the wire and remove the iron and it should of soldered.

Reactions: Bug_Checker_

vinnyboiler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi my nephew recently updated one of my 3DS's to the latest firmware. I have a backup of the NAND and a raspberry pi computer but I have no idea about soldering and the process of downgrading the system. Is there a walk-though video tutorial to performing this or is there anyone I can send my system to who could do this for me.

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi my nephew recently updated one of my 3DS's to the latest firmware. I have a backup of the NAND and a raspberry pi computer but I have no idea about soldering and the process of downgrading the system. Is there a walk-though video tutorial to performing this or is there anyone I can send my system to who could do this for me.

if you're in the UK, gamesquest1 can do it

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If he can that will be great. I'm not too concerned about how much it will cost just that I get it sorted.

yeah, he has plenty of experience with it. many people have gotten their consoles fixed and/or hardmodded by him. So no worries there ;)

Just try to send him a message and I'm sure he'll reply when he can

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: