Homebrew NAND Emulated sneek/usneek

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip, it really works

a doubt is it possible to put uneek only on the external hd? if so how?

possibly with usb loader gx as @Cyan mentioned. I know I don't have the sneek folder on my sd card, but it's on my usb drive. it works without issue.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

this is on the virtual wii though, if that makes a difference. don't recall the wii itself.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
iirc all forms of neek require an sd card

edit: note that this is not the same thing as having an emulated nand saved only to the USB, which is doable, in fact, this is how it must be done for uneek or uneek+di. USBLoaders can then access your emunand to launch titles and manage game saves without requiring an sd card, but this is not the same thing as neek which is more of a (temporary) system menu replacement, and (unless I'm mistaken) an SD card is required to boot into neek which will then load the emunand from usb

Last edited by XFlak,
Reactions: johw

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Took a small amount of digging but I found the post you were referring to (below). Indeed it appears you are correct, but it sounds like GX can launch uneek without sd on Wii and vWii
It depends how he is booting neek.
if using USBLoaderGX, then SD card files are not needed.
If using nswitch on vWii, I don't remember if it's still relying on SD card or not. I'd say it does because there's no user's option, unlike USBGX.

if using nswitch (he clearly does) on Wii then they are needed, as it relies on bootmii.
it means you ALSO need bootmii as IOS !!!
which most guides might have make you skip installing, or didn't even mention, or you replaced it with stub version from nintendo.

so, using nswitch requires more files, which are not required when using USBGX.

nswitch
bootmii IOS (Slot254)
sd:/bootmii/armboot.bin (actually sneek booter, looking for sd:/sneek/kernel.bin file)
SD:/sneek/kernel.bin (USB version)
USB:/sneek/kernel.bin (USB version)
USB:/nands/mynand/

compared to :

USBLoaderGX
USB:/sneek/kernel.bin (USB Version)
USB:/nands/mynand/

optionally:
SD:/sneek/kernel.bin (SD version)
SD:/nands/mynand/

having both neek version at the same time allows USBGX to boot either SD or USB without having to change the "neek version" in sd:/sneek/ folder.

Note:
neek2o seems to work better if it's in a subfolder.
x:/mynand/ <-- should work
x:/subfolder/mynand/ <-- seems to work better. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's why I changed folders to /nands/01/ by default in USBGX.

Just a general question :
you want NAND on USB so you want Uneek ?
Are you SURE you need neek or you only want NAND on USB ?
because you know, you do NOT need neek to have NAND on USB, you can just use USBLoaderGX's emuNAND cIOS mode "Full" feature with NAND on USB all the same.

neek is usually useful only for specific problematic games, or in case you'd like to try editing/theming sysmenu or creating new animated banners from scratch without bricking.

Reactions: johw and godreborn

johw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Last edited by johw,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, with USBGX, you can boot Uneek on usb only, you don't need SD to boot Uneek.
On Wii, USBLoaderGX is using the same boot method than the vwii (without bootmii), so you don't need bootmii folder nor SD card to boot Uneek.

ahh, just a thing I'd like to add :
if you are using neek (sneek or uneek) for the first time, do not put di.bin in the folder just yet !
you can generate it if you want, but either rename, (re)move it from sneek folder.

first, be sure everything works without di.bin file.
di (disc interface) is only used to mount disc based games on the official "disc channel" on neek's system menu.
but, it's often the reason neek is not booting, and not neek being not properly setup. so, first, setup neek and be sure it works to prevent not understanding whether you properly setup neek or not.

when neek works, try putting di.bin back in that folder and see if neek still boots.
if all works, then it's good :)
if it back screen at boot, then di is the problem, especially on neek (not neek2o) because it requires a specific additional setup : an extracted disc ! if there is no game on your sd or usb, di freezes.

Last edited by Cyan,

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a very useful productive thread, questions answered, thank you. I have a few questions pertaining to this matter for resolution, if you don't mind input.

1. Why use nswitch? Is it needed for SD/USB single or combo setup? Isn't dumping NAND to create emuNAND the correct/current process?

2. What is the most reliable/recommended setup to play Castlevania Rebirth/ MotoHeroz etc... with instructions for SD setup? Is it possible using Wii?

3. Neek0 vWii is a thing? Apparently it is frowned upon, but exist. If this site still makes the links available, why can't a thorough search find results?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. I think nswitch is to return to regular nand. the virtual wii does it automatically, because when you exit a neek game, it takes you back to the wii u side of the system almost as if it resets, but according to cyan, it's not resetting. I actually thought it was based on observation.
2. the way I have mine set up is usb loader gx having regular emunand in custom paths, then neek2o nand being tied to in those games' individual settings. you have to install the game twice though. once in regular emunand for the game to appear in the games' list, then a second time in neek nand to have the game work. you don't want all games using neek or it could take a long time to load games, because the entire nand will be read first before loading. I've seen it take five to ten minutes with all games. now, with two games, it takes seconds.
3. it's a thing yes, but it's a leaked version. it contains Nintendo code I believe, so you won't find a link on here. I got it, because someone did post a link on here before staff removed it. I was unable to find it via google.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
1. I think nswitch is to return to regular nand. the virtual wii does it automatically, because when you exit a neek game, it takes you back to the wii u side of the system almost as if it resets, but according to cyan, it's not resetting. I actually thought it was based on observation.
2. the way I have mine set up is usb loader gx having regular emunand in custom paths, then neek2o nand being tied to in those games' individual settings. you have to install the game twice though. once in regular emunand for the game to appear in the games' list, then a second time in neek nand to have the game work. you don't want all games using neek or it could take a long time to load games, because the entire nand will be read first before loading. I've seen it take five to ten minutes with all games. now, with two games, it takes seconds.
3. it's a thing yes, but it's a leaked version. it contains Nintendo code I believe, so you won't find a link on here. I got it, because someone did post a link on here before staff removed it. I was unable to find it via google.
I'm a bit confused about point 2... why do you need 2 emunands? And what's the difference between your regular emunand and your neek2o emunand? Apologies as I'm sure you know what you're talking about and I must just be missing some crucial bit of info for it to all make sense.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a bit confused about point 2... why do you need 2 emunands? And what's the difference between your regular emunand and your neek2o emunand? Apologies as I'm sure you know what you're talking about and I must just be missing some crucial bit of info for it to all make sense.

I'm not sure how to explain it, but it does sound confusing. I think this was mentioned to me by cyan. the emunand custom path is the only emunand that will be displayed in your games' list, so you have to install the games to that in order for them to appear in your games' list. you change the custom path to neek after that, then reinstall the games for neek only. change it back to regular emunand after that, so they'll be on both emunands. then, change the emunand used by the games to neek in their game settings.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you only use one emunand (as neek), then all emunand games will be using neek. this will cause the system to take minutes to boot neek. that's why cyan suggests only using neek for games that need it. it takes seconds then.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ah OK I think I get it... so GX is able to launch games off an emunand without neek, but a couple titles need to be launched off an emunand+neek combo in order to work. The former loads quickly, the latter is slow, so that's why you use this method. Is that an accurate summary?

I wonder if this is something we can perhaps ask @blackb0x to look into. If it's not too difficult maybe he could make some tweaks so that titles on a non-neek emunand do not use neek by default (so it loads fast) but individual games can be set up to use neek in the game-specific settings (as opposed to having to set up another neek emunand and have neek titles installed to both emunands)... does this make sense? If I misunderstood anything you were saying earlier than this suggestion could be way off base, thanks!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, what might work is using more than one emunand at the same time in custom paths. you're correct. that's how it works afaik.

I had to set custom path to neek when I injected the syscon, then change back. one of the issues with neek is that if you get a new controller, it won't be synced any longer after using neek, because the syscon is reverted back to what it was when you made the neek nand. this is something that cyan also told me when I mentioned it. it worked for my pro controller. wii remotes can just be resynced, and it will save.

johw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I downloaded the files, but I think it's accurate. you don't need the config files as those are made automatically. and, the rest of it seems unrelated. I only needed those three files on the virtual wii for example, and I never install nswitch on the wii when I was using uneek.

you can use sneek with usb loader gx easily, even load into uneek by using features:

View attachment 244393
guys I don't understand anything
my fat32 MBR hd does not work with sneek / usneek
Pen drive works perfectly

I used ModMii6.5.1

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guys I don't understand anything
my fat32 MBR hd does not work with sneek / usneek
Pen drive works perfectly

I used ModMii6.5.1

that's odd. I'm using an hdd with uneek on it with the wii u. and, I was using an hdd with uneek on the wii too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol