LennyTheDefiant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello everyone,

So, I bought a N3DS XL from eBay a month ago maybe and I followed the guide on how to softmod it a couple of days later. My console worked fine for maybe a month but then started acting funny out of nowhere. A lot of ARM11 exception handlers, some ARM9 and the CTRNAND doesn't load error. I pretty much got all of them.

As a result, I did the following:
  • Battery trick. Removed it a couple of times and pressed the power button for 30 seconds and then a couple of times. I don't think it helped.
  • Cuadruple format of SD cards and h2test on two micro SD cards. Didn't help.
  • Replacement of my files with the CFW starter pack.
  • Deleting the menu folder (00000008f folder or whatever).
  • Replace the boot file on the root of the SD card only.
None of this helped. The only thing that keeps my console sane for a couple of days or hours is the CTRTransfer thing with GodMode and then using Recovery Mode, but then the cycle begins again. I'm thinking hardware failure and extremely bad luck on my part, but you guys know more about this than I do, so I hope you can tell me otherwise :( hahaha

Also, I'm lead to believe its some kind of hardware thing as well because the errors started when I left my 3DS on my pocket (to get play coins, you know). After that, it started acting funny and for some reason, it sometimes boots up when I press the left side of the device. Weird.

Below are some new errors I started getting today whilst playing Ocarina of Time (or trying to) and while playing Picross 3D. Both are .cia files that actually worked well before, so the files shouldn't be corrupted.

So, yeah, I know its a lot to take in, but if someone had a clue on what to do, I'd very much appreciate it :( Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20191019_144914.jpg
    20191019_144914.jpg
    916 KB · Views: 234
  • 20191019_030059.jpg
    20191019_030059.jpg
    797.2 KB · Views: 200

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Hello everyone,

So, I bought a N3DS XL from eBay a month ago maybe and I followed the guide on how to softmod it a couple of days later. My console worked fine for maybe a month but then started acting funny out of nowhere. A lot of ARM11 exception handlers, some ARM9 and the CTRNAND doesn't load error. I pretty much got all of them.

As a result, I did the following:
  • Battery trick. Removed it a couple of times and pressed the power button for 30 seconds and then a couple of times. I don't think it helped.
  • Cuadruple format of SD cards and h2test on two micro SD cards. Didn't help.
  • Replacement of my files with the CFW starter pack.
  • Deleting the menu folder (00000008f folder or whatever).
  • Replace the boot file on the root of the SD card only.
None of this helped. The only thing that keeps my console sane for a couple of days or hours is the CTRTransfer thing with GodMode and then using Recovery Mode, but then the cycle begins again. I'm thinking hardware failure and extremely bad luck on my part, but you guys know more about this than I do, so I hope you can tell me otherwise :( hahaha

Also, I'm lead to believe its some kind of hardware thing as well because the errors started when I left my 3DS on my pocket (to get play coins, you know). After that, it started acting funny and for some reason, it sometimes boots up when I press the left side of the device. Weird.

Below are some new errors I started getting today whilst playing Ocarina of Time (or trying to) and while playing Picross 3D. Both are .cia files that actually worked well before, so the files shouldn't be corrupted.

So, yeah, I know its a lot to take in, but if someone had a clue on what to do, I'd very much appreciate it :( Thanks in advance.
Have you tried downgrading luma3ds to 9.1?
I would never recommend ctrtransfer to fix anything except a brick without nand backup.

Anyway, if further issues, give these guys a shot: https://discord.gg/C29hYvh

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: peteruk

LennyTheDefiant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Have you tried downgrading luma3ds to 9.1?
I would never recommend ctrtransfer to fix anything except a brick without nand backup.

Yeah, I used that version because it was the one included in the CFW starter pack. It has better compatibility from what i've read, right?
I have also tried the newest version of Luma but it still acts funny :/

I do have my SysNand backup from when I first modded the console, so there's that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@LennyTheDefiant, that second image with the crash in ( Animal Crossing: New Leaf ?) is disturbing. Are you using some kind of game mod, cheat, or hack when that crash happened?

No, it used to work perfectly :/ It's Picross 3D: Round 2 (USA).
The ONLY thing I tampered with is restoring the save file with the .cia version of Checkpoint, but that's it. The game worked for about ten minutes before doing that.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I used that version because it was the one included in the CFW starter pack. It has better compatibility from what i've read, right?
I have also tried the newest version of Luma but it still acts funny :/

I do have my SysNand backup from when I first modded the console, so there's that.

No, it used to work perfectly :/ It's Picross 3D: Round 2 (USA).
The ONLY thing I tampered with is restoring the save file with the .cia version of Checkpoint, but that's it. The game worked for about ten minutes before doing that.

1. Backup the saves for those two games you've mentioned with Checkpoint or JKSM.
  2. On the SD card, rename your Nintendo 3DS folder to something like Nintendo 3DS (main).
  3. Make a backup of your current SysNAND.
  4. Restore your SysNAND with the image you created when you first hacked the n3DSXL.
  5. Boot to HOME Menu. Your 3DS should by now make a new (blank) Nintendo 3DS folder.
  6. Install fresh copies of Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time 3D and Picross 3D: Round 2 (USA).
    • :!: It is important you do not install the games on your (real) Nintendo 3DS as this will overwrite and delete their saves. See step 2.
    • If you're using out-of-region games or 3DS firmware different than the games (ie, EUR firmware), see Luma Locale Emulation and LumaLocaleSwitcher.
  7. Test out the games with dummy game character profiles.
  8. If the games do not crash after some play, restore the saves with Checkpoint or JKSM. Play some more.

Depending if your previous made SysNAND *.bin image is any good, this test will try to determine whether your n3DSXL has a hardware issue -or- the misbehavior were caused by various previous CTRTransfer(s) somehow messing with the 3DS firmware.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: LennyTheDefiant

LennyTheDefiant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@TurdPooCharger I did all this and it actually booted!

But during the installation of Ocarina of Time using FBI, the top screen started flickering lightly until it shut off with an ARM11 exception error :(

I managed to install Picross 3D, so I will try to play that for a while and hope it doesn't shut down on me.

UPDATE:

It doesn't boot now :(
I'll add the dump files below in case it helps diagnose the problem...
The graphical error in Picross happened again when I loaded the new save file I created for the game.

Attachments

• crash_dumps.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20191019_182034.jpg
    20191019_182034.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
Last edited by LennyTheDefiant,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger I did all this and it actually booted!

But during the installation of Ocarina of Time using FBI, the top screen started flickering lightly until it shut off with an ARM11 exception error :(

I managed to install Picross 3D, so I will try to play that for a while and hope it doesn't shut down on me.

UPDATE:

It doesn't boot now :(
I'll add the dump files below in case it helps diagnose the problem...
The graphical error in Picross happened again when I loaded the new save file I created for the game.

:(

Your issue with flickering in FBI and strange crashes despite everything else seems okay reminds of this one.
That error in the Picross pictures looks like it's produced from the 3DS firmware and not Luma3DS, which was why I commented earlier about being disturbed seeing it.

We can try one last thing to rule out softbrick: CTRTransfer (Type D9)
What I'm suggesting is not standard CTRTransfer that you see in the 3ds.hacks.guide.

If you can wait, there is a v1.4 of that (Type D9) script I plan to release in tomorrow's (10.20.2019) update to the CFW starter kit.
A formal Github release will have to wait until I find the time for a write-up.

In the event your n3DSXL is considered hardbricked and you end up getting a replacement, you can avoid pocket damage trying to earn PlayCoins by instead using JKSM, Checkpoint (v3.7.1 or newer), or Fast PlayCoin.

LennyTheDefiant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@TurdPooCharger
Yes, I did see that thread and was afraid I just might gotten the same type of bad luck :( hahah

And yes, of course! I can wait until tomorrow.
Besides, that just might work better right?
Could you tell me when its uploaded? :)

Thank you so much for your help so far!! I hope we can bring this sucker back from the dead :)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@LennyTheDefiant, I just updated the CFW starter kit but noticed in your original post that you previously downloaded an older collection.

To save you the trouble of downloading (nearly) everything again, you can find the v1.4 script attached below in the CTRTransfer (Type D9) release post. I took some time retesting all its features on GodMode9 v1.9.0 to make sure nothing broke compared to tests done on hourly builds that led to the latest GM9 official release.

LennyTheDefiant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@TurdPooCharger Great! Thanks for the heads-up.

I wouldn't mind redownloading everything; would that be better?

UPDATE:

I think it worked!!! So far so good!

I booted up Zelda and it didn't immediately crash, so that's a win for me!

My god, man. THANK YOU! <3 I legit thought I had lost my money haha

I seriously can't thank you enough, man! Thank you for helping me so quickly, too!

P.S. Should this ever happen again... Should I just restore my SysNand file? As opposed to going through the D9 CTRTransfer way?

Anyways, thank you so so much, man! You are way too kind!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I went out. If your Internet has limited data like cellphone plan, go with the standalone script and download GM9 v1.9.0 from the official release page.

Celebration might be premature. Don't forget to install the dumped tickets, TWL (DSi) system titles CIAs (including those said to be missing in the text dump log), and update to 11.10U firmware. Make a new SysNAND *.bin image once everything checks out for safe keeping.

LennyTheDefiant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@TurdPooCharger I was missing the .cia files you mentioned, but I have done everything else you said and it *seems* to be working right, so I hope it stays that way haha

I'm currently trying a DS game with Twilight menu and it's working well so far!

I have now made a Sysnand backup of this setup in case things go south again... Haha

Either way, time will tell if this setup is a winner but I'm pretty optimistic it is. Haven't had any crashes so far, which is phenomenal.

As you said, my celebration might be premature, but either way, thank you so much for the help!

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

LennyTheDefiant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@TurdPooCharger you were right :( haha

I started getting ARM11 errors again for some reason after I went to the home menu when playing Resident Evil Revelations.
Now it boots and everything, but a minute or so later I get an error :/
Any suggestions?

UPDATE:
Now it has trouble booting, the blue light flashes and when loading a payload it tells me it's corrupted when it's clearly not.
I managed to get into God Mode by squeezing the left side of the console (on the back of the bottom screen, approximately) and for some reason that works.

UPDATE 2:
So I restored my SysNand bin file and it seems okay right now. I hope it stays that way. Sorry to be a pain haha

UPDATE 3:
It went back to the way it was before :/ it boots whenever it wants to and has tons of ARM11 errors...
Is there anything else I can do? :(

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger you were right :( haha

I started getting ARM11 errors again for some reason after I went to the home menu when playing Resident Evil Revelations.
Now it boots and everything, but a minute or so later I get an error :/
Any suggestions?
Oh dear. :(

This is almost certainly a hardware problem. We can try one last thing. See below.

UPDATE:
Now it has trouble booting, the blue light flashes and when loading a payload it tells me it's corrupted when it's clearly not.
I managed to get into God Mode by squeezing the left side of the console (on the back of the bottom screen, approximately) and for some reason that works.

That area approximates where the CPU and FCRAM chips are located.

See for reference:
Speculation of Physical Damage
When you put your n3DSXL in your pocket, your walking about to earn PlayCoins ended up bending or flexing the motherboard enough to crack a ball joint under one of those chips.

When the n3DSXL is cool, that broken joint has good contact between the chip and board. However, as you play the system enough, the chip heats up enough to momentarily separate the joint.

UPDATE 2:
So I restored my SysNand bin file and it seems okay right now. I hope it stays that way. Sorry to be a pain haha
Which SysNAND *.bin image did you use?
  • If it was the one you made when you first hacked it, that one might be bad if your n3DSXL's 3DS firmware was already came messed up when it was in the previous owner's possession.
  • If it was the one you made after CTRTransfer (Type D9), that one might be bad due to carrying over bad data from the restore.
UPDATE 3:
It went back to the way it was before :/ it boots whenever it wants to and has tons of ARM11 errors...
Is there anything else I can do? :(

We're going to attempt a simulated Format System Memory without actually deleting your nand's user setup. You need to restore the SysNAND with the image you made after CTRTransfer (Type D9) before doing the steps below.
  1. In GodMode9, go in the [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND and press (Y) on the data folder to [CLIPBOARD] select it.
    • See the top right corner of the bottom screen. If selection mistake was made, press (SELECT) to reset.
  2. Back out and go into the [0:] SDCARD ()/gm9/out directory.
  3. Press (Y) → Move path(s)<A> yes → button combo → <A> yes. This will relocate the data folder out of the CTRNAND and put it on your SD card.
    • If you use Copy path(s) instead, you'll have to go back in [1:] drive and delete data by pressing (X) on it.
    • :!: Don't go straight to deleting the data unless you backed up that folder. This contains your personal info like name, birthday, NNID, friends list, etc.
  4. Press (START) button to exit GodMode9. You will be greeted with the introductory of creating a new user account. Don't bother making a new account.
  5. Hold the (POWER) button to turn off the n3DSXL. Turn on the 3DS again, hold (START) button, and go back to GodMode9.
  6. Press (HOME) button → Scripts... CTRTransfer (Type D9) Bypass Profile Setup<A> yes<A> yes → button combo → <A> to continueExit.
  7. Press (START) button to exit GodMode9. Your 3DS should go straight to booting HOME Menu.
  8. Play games that are known crash. Report back your findings.

LennyTheDefiant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@TurdPooCharger

I fear you might be right on your theory on how my console began acting this way :( I did keep it a lot on my pocket

I used the SysNand backup I made after the D9 CTRTransfer, but as you said, it might be bad in itself.

I will now begin to do the simulated System Memory Format, but I'm beginning to believe it is a hardware failure :(

UPDATE:

So I restored the NAND and moved the data folder in the gm9 folder, but afterwards I got tons of ARM11 errors and it just booted up once, when I pressed it :(

It does seem like my 3DS has the issue you mentioned in the motherboard :(

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE:

So I restored the NAND and moved the data folder in the gm9 folder, but afterwards I got tons of ARM11 errors and it just booted up once, when I pressed it :(

It does seem like my 3DS has the issue you mentioned in the motherboard :(
:(

It might be possible to disassemble the n3DSXL and salvage the motherboard by baking or reflowing the ball joints. Repair success rate is a toss up..

Do you know of any electronic repair centers close by to you that has a reflow station or oven?

You do not want to try fixing this in a kitchen oven as the fumes will contaminate your future baked foods.

(not recommended)
There is a DIY ghetto method where you wrap or section off the motherboard using aluminum foil and only expose the chips. Lay the board flat, and do this outside like in a garage. Use a heat gun to bake the chips, a timer to measure duration, and a digital laser temperature gun to make sure the board doesn't get too hot.

(recommended)

1. Sell your semi-broken n3DSXL as-is and buy another functional one.

2. Send yours in to get fixed by someone who specializes in 3DS systems.

3. Replace the motherboard:

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I was thinking it would come to this :(

Would replacing the Mobo be the better choice between that or getting a new console? Thank you for the link, btw
Do you have any relatives or friends in the United States? I personally recommend selling that n3DSXL, buying a refurbished n3DSXL system directly from Nintendo (see my signature link), and then on your next family visit, pick up the system and bring it back home. (assuming your Mexico flag is the country you live in). Import fee will make the ~US $120 + tax price closer to US $140 at 5% tariff rate.

Depending on your budget, it might make more financially sense buying a replacement motherboard. However, that's super risky if you're not experienced with opening and fixing electronics. A board that costs US $45 from China can take a month to cross over the Pacific. There's also the gamble you might get a dud if it's damaged from shipping.

There's also locally purchasing replacement system if there are any stores that still sells new or used n3DSXL where you live.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

LennyTheDefiant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@TurdPooCharger

Yeah, I do have relatives over in the US and could sell it somewhat easily. While the motheboard seems tempting to get because of the price, it's not really something I'm willing to bet on since I could get a faulty board, like you said. It seems too much of a hassle since I'm not too experienced in dealing with electronics and would be super bummed if I shorted it out or something for whatever reason haha

Getting a 3DS officially from Nintendo seems to be the right choice, in case something else hardware related happens.

Taking into account you know tons about this and considering my console has the two screens in good shape, how much would I be able to realistically get back? I'm thinking of selling it in the US over eBay for 70 bucks, but don't know if that's too much.

Thank you for your help. You are great!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@LennyTheDefiant, sorry bud. (I believe that) I'm good at finding products at good prices for buyers. Selling goods is another story...

If you want my assessment as a buyer where you told me everything works except for the faulty motherboard, I would not buy that n3DSXL at US $70 if I was one of those people who planned on replacing the board.

(Broken n3DSXL system) $70 + (motherboard from wiigotem, for close proximity) $60 = $130
- vs -​
(official Nintendo refurb n3DSXL) $120 + (~6% FL state tax; adjust rates for states) $8 = $128

You might have better luck offering it at around US $50 if it's a special edition n3DSXL. That's a tough price point because Nintendo refurbished o2DS goes for that much before tax (not everyone necessarily cares for 3D or bigger screens).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Purple_Heart was a SSD worth it? Did it make a significant diference?\