Hacking N3DS XL Firmware by version number

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you link the guide/instructions you used for the board swap? This was a "new" 3ds right?

It was a new 3ds. No instructions. I just did it lol. I guess I should have taken a video. :( If you're careful and mindful (and have maybe done something like this before) it shouldn't be difficult. A $10 screwdriver kit is all I needed. The board is screwed down with 6 of a special screw but a tiny flathead was sufficient.

It was a monster hunter new 3ds xl that I bought on L for $150 that someone wanted to get quick cash for. Bought black new 3ds xl for $190 at Target (tax free with red card) and sold it for $150 the next day. Still came out better than MSRP, though I don't have the game to show for it.

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I have a precision screwdriver and an iphone repair screwdriver set, so maybe that will be enough. Did the board have multiple pieces you needed to seperate, or once u got in, it was just detaching some of the ribbon cables and that was that?

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The board is technically in one piece that looks a little like a Fat "L". Plugged into that board are a couple other boards, along with NFC plate, that don't need to be removed from the system if you are careful. The biggest PITA is at the top right of the board itself. There are three ribbon cables literally on top of eachother, 2 of them are actually on top of eachother (strangass design) and one is on the other side. Just be aware of this because you won't see the one cable on the other side until you have flipped it over.

The iPhone screwdrivers MIGHT be a little too small, though I have worked on very few iPhones since the priginal since the opporunity never arose. If you have worked on the "old" 3DS xl, you will probably be just fine. This is more difficult, I would say, but only because of the ribbon cables that are small, thin, and can break easily if pulled or tweaked. I do recommend some fine ipped tweezers as well. I used my wife's brow tweezer (shhhhhhhh don't tell) but wished I had something nicer. Something with soft tips would have been a damn godsend lol.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Decent pics and video (eh the video basically sucks) at ifixit. I just searched it lol. There are some items (such as the sd card reader) that need not be removed from the board itself for a simple board swap.

DragonSky

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Whatever you need to swap the sd anyway.
Dam Nintendo they just knew about Gateway and make it harder for us.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever you need to swap the sd anyway.
Dam Nintendo they just knew about Gateway and make it harder for us.

Yeah... I have never seen Nintendo ship this many different firmwares this fast. The console isn't even six months old yet and we already have 3+ confirmed firmwares shipped?

Makes sense. They want to lock down the new console, especially for the brand new exclusive titles.

tarovisions

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N3DS XL Black
Serial: QW4018
Firmware: 9.0U
Retailer: GameStop

Not surprising since already confirmed but I just wanted to give some hope to others :lol:

Even at a place as scummy as GS, they sure fought me about those serial #'s

mooglazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The board is technically in one piece that looks a little like a Fat "L". Plugged into that board are a couple other boards, along with NFC plate, that don't need to be removed from the system if you are careful. The biggest PITA is at the top right of the board itself. There are three ribbon cables literally on top of eachother, 2 of them are actually on top of eachother (strangass design) and one is on the other side. Just be aware of this because you won't see the one cable on the other side until you have flipped it over.

The iPhone screwdrivers MIGHT be a little too small, though I have worked on very few iPhones since the priginal since the opporunity never arose. If you have worked on the "old" 3DS xl, you will probably be just fine. This is more difficult, I would say, but only because of the ribbon cables that are small, thin, and can break easily if pulled or tweaked. I do recommend some fine ipped tweezers as well. I used my wife's brow tweezer (shhhhhhhh don't tell) but wished I had something nicer. Something with soft tips would have been a damn godsend lol.

Same story here. Take photos of every ribbon before you pull it. This was incredibly helpful, especially when I couldn't remember how things were aligned.

You'll need a small phillips and what's called a JIS screwdriver. A pair of tweezers is helpful for one of the ribbons connected to the display. Be very careful when pulling and re-seating the ribbons.

I've repaired most every model of GB, GBA, DS/DS Lite and 3DS, so it was all familiar territory. Just be very careful, don't lose any screws and document what everything looked like originally.

alepman90

Trophies
XP
Country
For US ,stay away from Majora's mask LE 2nd shipment if you are looking for using it for homebrew or GW ..... bought one from GS last week and it's on 9.4 fw

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its 9.0.. Black.. Ill post confirmation later.

Im formatting Emunand now, and I must say, this isnt as fun as it was with my white n3ds. I could pop off the back plate a whole lot easier than this....and it seems...easily breakable. OH WELL. I think the last thing I have to do is format sysnand with the sd card removed.....then im not touching it. I didnt get it to enjoy it. I got it to save it for the future.

EDIT.. confirmation

10628423_849359838434389_1679811071557409259_n.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-04-06-24-04.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-04-06-24-04.png
    321.4 KB · Views: 216

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Black Japanese model YJF1036 (Non-XL) picked up sealed at a convention. Firmware 8.1.0.
Tablet-quality proof:
WIN_20150404_112431.JPG

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the qw1036 black is 9.0.0.20.

I thought about just swapping plates but the serial sticker isn't budging without bending and looking bad.
I don't have any way to loosen it, so I guess I'm going to have to attempt the mobo swap.

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the qw1036 black is 9.0.0.20.

I thought about just swapping plates but the serial sticker isn't budging without bending and looking bad.
I don't have any way to loosen it, so I guess I'm going to have to attempt the mobo swap.

You cant find a 9.0? or what are you trying to do? We have a TON of 9.0s here at Walmart

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I did find a 9.0 and bought it.
Problem is one of the frame screws is stripped, so I'm not sure how to get the bastard apart now!

Wow... that sucks. Maybe home depot can help you... maybe they can drill into it enough to pull it out.

I just got the Xl version and unscrewed it... all I did was just snap it back in... didnt screw it back on... Why they made it difficult this time doesnt make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...