Hardware N3DS NAND backup possible, I hope.

kelroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys i gonna make the hard mod this week. Any advice about the wires/connector?.

I am thinking to use a 22awg wires, and a standar 6 ping pcb connector (but not sure which to choose).

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The NAND has 8 Data Lines + clk and cmd and I bet all of them are connected to the SoC.
Actually I still think it's only 4 data lines while it does have up to 8, and i should really stop calling it a NAND when it is a eMMC, more then just a NAND flash chip. I believe they are using a x4 support Host connection as there isn't another pull up resistor bank near by and the old 3DS also used only four from the pictures underneath it. Although again, I could be wrong, these are merely educated guesses based on what I've seen. The image was taken from the plimeray datasheet of the Samsung (KLMxGxxEHx) moviNAND. :lol:

NAND 4x mode.PNG

Guys i gonna make the hard mod this week. Any advice about the wires/connector?.

I am thinking to use a 22awg wires, and a standar 6 ping pcb connector (but not sure which to choose).
Yes but please consider using smaller wirer if possible, there isn't much space between the back of the motherboard and the bottom LCD, you don't want to add much pressure or none at all to the PCB or LCD. About the connector are you talking about 2.54mm pitch female headers or something like that?

I used just simple headers like this I have laying around.
mp6zdVTSJRD4SGWWRNyC9Ng.jpg

kelroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So i can go for 28awg wire. What do you think, Avalyn?. Some advice for make the mod?

Yes that connector would be nice, i was thinking in one like that

conectores-jst-eh-recto-paso-250mm.jpg

But maybe its so big for the space we got.

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i can go for 28awg wire. What do you think, Avalyn?. Some advice for make the mod?

Yes that connector would be nice, i was thinking in one like that

But maybe its so big for the space we got.

Yes 28 AWG would be much better if you can spring for that do it. Also i find shrouded connectors like that a little bit on the bulkier side but if you know the dimensions roughly you can have a look around inside, there isn't too much height to play with. If you can do a 4 pin connector that would work, or go for the full 7. But if 6 is what you have, then it's what you have hehe ;)

metaljay

Trophies
XP
Country
Guys do I need to solder every pin? Ideally i wanted to fit a micro USB. The old 3DS you only needed 4 points.

Here is where I'm at:
IMG_0100.jpg

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys do I need to solder every pin? Ideally i wanted to fit a micro USB. The old 3DS you only needed 4 points.

Here is where I'm at:

Nope you can get away at 1x mode with DAT0 / CMD / CLK / GND. It's about the same eMMC as used in the 3DS so you can use the 4 pin method if you'd like. It's just a tad slower is all.

kelroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
But the mini-usb only got 5 pin, you got six.

I gonna use only 2 date lanes for get 5 pin and fit it on a mini usb. It can be possible avalyn?.

I gonna write an extensive guide for a spanish forum, so maybe i gonna ask you some questions :).

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the mini-usb only got 5 pin, you got six.

I gonna use only 2 date lanes for get 5 pin and fit it on a mini usb. It can be possible avalyn?.
You can't just use 2, it's either 1/4/8 as per the datasheet and how the eMMC works. Also we can't use 8 cause I do believe the other 4 are not connected. So with the micro usb your best bet is to use the 4 pin (DAT0 Only). I'd say don't use Vcc on the microusb but then you need a cable that pins out all 5 pins, sorry i know it looks prettier but i can't get behind using micro usb as it worries me if someone decides to plug one in to a power adapter or computer. :wacko:

Remember it's either 4 connections (DAT0 / CLK / CMD / GND)
or
7 connections (DAT0 / DAT1 / DAT2 / DAT3 / CLK / CMD / GND)

kelroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol, you are totally right¡¡¡¡. If you plug it you gonna burn everything. So i gonna use your connector solution.

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, you are totally right¡¡¡¡. If you plug it you gonna burn everything. So i gonna use your connector solution.
Now what would be fun or rather interesting of someone is to use all 5 pins of the microusb, VCC to VCC on the 3DS, GND to GND, and the other 3 connected to the eMMC as normal that way you could charge it using a normal micro usb cable, but I'd still want a way to disconnect the other lines when hooking up to charge it. lol :grog:

metaljay

Trophies
XP
Country
Jesus christ, it now won't turn on haha

I haven't read or tested anything, just assembled it and tried to turn it on, just power on for 3 seconds then off, nothing on the screen... wtf did i did lol

kelroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Avalynn a 30 Awg would work correctly on the hard mod?. I got a shop where i can get 30metres for 1,50€.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Avalynn a 30 Awg would work correctly on the hard mod?. I got a shop where i can get 30metres for 1,50€.

I use 30AWG magnet wire for regular 3DS's. I don't see why it wouldn't. I'm going to be doing a n3DS XL with this wire. I'll report back when done.

metaljay

Trophies
XP
Country
Jesus christ, it now won't turn on haha

I haven't read or tested anything, just assembled it and tried to turn it on, just power on for 3 seconds then off, nothing on the screen... wtf did i do lol

edit, it's as if something is shorting, if I space all my cable apart it boots (the buttons and touch screen are irratic though), I've triple checked my soldering and its all fine :(

why why why did I bother lol

atkfromabove

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question: Would it be possible to dump the nand with a Nand-X? I know it is made specifically for the Xbox but I use it all the time for NAND dumps and figured it could achieve the same result with Nandpro? I would have to make sure the wires correspond correctly but it should be possible correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: @SylverReZ and i texted at the same time