Hardware N3DS NAND backup possible, I hope.

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It fails to boot after the dump or when you try and write your backup?

Usually you need it to at least power on to dump the NAND and it sounds like it's not even booting to the error screen.

Does it fail to boot if ANY connector is unplugged?

So it can fail to boot or power up and then down if one of your backlight connections is loose or not conencted. I had that issue when I first put it back together. So it might not be shorting but starting up and it never gets past POST for the device so go slow and check that most connections are back in, you don't need the mic or home button or L/R lol.

Reactions: atkfromabove

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah you need the screens backlights attached at least, analogue stick etc are fine to be left disconnected while working on it, i usually just plug the screens back in for testing though so you can make sure its properly working, in regards to all the nand-x, and jrunner stuff....its really not necessary, a SD reader is perfect for the job, i doubt there would be any real difference in speed compared to just using a SD reader, plus its easier to just make the SD adapter so you can use whatever computer you like with no need to have any extra devices handy

SD reader + win32diskimager = happy nand dumping, even with only 1 dat line attatched your still only looking at like 10 mins writing time max taking into account the extra nand size on the n3DS, on the normal 3DS its like 5/6 mins, if you hooked up all 4 dat lines it would be like 5 mins for n3ds, 1-2 mins for standard 3ds's

Reactions: atkfromabove

atkfromabove

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah you need the screens backlights attached at least, analogue stick etc are fine to be left disconnected while working on it, i usually just plug the screens back in for testing though so you can make sure its properly working, in regards to all the nand-x, and jrunner stuff....its really not necessary, a SD reader is perfect for the job, i doubt there would be any real difference in speed compared to just using a SD reader, plus its easier to just make the SD adapter so you can use whatever computer you like with no need to have any extra devices handy

SD reader + win32diskimager = happy nand dumping, even with only 1 dat line attatched your still only looking at like 10 mins writing time max taking into account the extra nand size on the n3DS, on the normal 3DS its like 5/6 mins, if you hooked up all 4 dat lines it would be like 5 mins for n3ds, 1-2 mins for standard 3ds's

I appreciate the advice, that would be easier than using the nand-x. I just figured since I have it and I am familiar with how it works that would be best but being able to use any computer is a definite plus.

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate the advice, that would be easier than using the nand-x. I just figured since I have it and I am familiar with how it works that would be best but being able to use any computer is a definite plus.

Yes that is the best way to go cause while it is a NAND it's actually a NAND packaged with a controller making it an eMMC. Unlike the Xbox which just uses a straight NAND chip.

atkfromabove

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes that is the best way to go cause while it is a NAND it's actually a NAND packaged with a controller making it an eMMC. Unlike the Xbox which just uses a straight NAND chip.

I need to read up on the technical aspects of the N3DS it looks like. I am new to the scene but I would like to know more about the hardware. Is there a good place to start here?

metaljay

Trophies
XP
Country
I only use JRunner as its easy to back up multiple Nands and compare the files.

ill have another go tonight at getting it to boot, scared the hell out of me haha

metaljay

Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, I couldn't get it to boot no matter what, sent it to gamesquest1 this morning haha
I didn't flash anything or read the nand so it must be the cables...

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, I couldn't get it to boot no matter what, sent it to gamesquest1 this morning haha
I didn't flash anything or read the nand so it must be the cables...
Awhh Damn I am so sorry to hear that :( I hope everything is alright

Henning B

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Bad news so. Maybe the jrunner isnt the best choice for make the nand backups.
Haha, maybe if it was built for the 3ds :P, I own a nandx, to bad it was the only part that I successfully soldered into my xbox, I ended up ripping out the cr3-pro...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Their most well known song is https://youtu.be/6Y3m9vSdFbM?si=TZTVBrsA35OSbQZE