Hardware N3DS NAND backup possible, I hope.

Retr0Capez

Gone and forgotten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um i assume you mean solder, depends on the work I am doing but the two I mainly use are
Kester 44 with RA flux and a diameter of .80mm for through hole work.
Kester 285 with RMA flux and a diameter of .015mm for SMD work.
Yah sorry. I type English on how you pronounce it.

One last thing: What did you use to connect the wires to your PC?

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are on Windows here is a small guide for backing up the system eMMC using Win32DiskImager.
if you need one for Mac or Linux (it's gonna be Debian) I can write one of those up too.
Thanks! If this were Linux or Mac OS, it would be a lot easier for me, thanks to our old friend "dd". Too bad the "dd" that comes with various UNIX-like toolkits for Windows doesn't seem to understand things like \\.\GLOBALROOT\Device\PhysicalDrive4...

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! If this were Linux or Mac OS, it would be a lot easier for me, thanks to our old friend "dd". Too bad the "dd" that comes with various UNIX-like toolkits for Windows doesn't seem to understand things like \\.\GLOBALROOT\Device\PhysicalDrive4...
Hmm i've never had the pleasure or displeasure? of using winDD or anything like that lol. Yes it is much easier on Unix based systems, I agree :lol:

metaljay

Trophies
XP
Country

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so here are the card reader controller, makes well enough sense why the Tek-Republic and Anker ones work as they use basically Identical controllers. I wonder what my old Transend TS-RDP5K used to use. Can't find much about the Realtek controllers unfortunately but there are a couple other ones out there that use it from what I have seen.

IMG_0488.JPG

Anker® USB 3.0 Card Reader : Realtek RTS5306 : Works as decently as the Tek one does, no complaints on reading or writing

IMG_0370.JPG

TekRepublic TUC-300 :Realtek RTS5307 : Works well for me on the 3DS/XL and N3DSXL, my go to reader.

IMG_0381.JPG

Transcend TS-RDP5K : GL834 Product Info : Sadly I can't get this new one to work for the N3DS but still works fine on my 3DS XL

IMG_0382.JPG

Transcend TS-RDF5K (USB 3.0) : GL3233 Product Info : Same story as above
IMG_0379.JPG

SanDisk SDDR-121-A11M : GL827 Datasheet : I've played around with this did some reads and writes to the 3DS/XL and N3DSXL works but it's a microSD reader, hard to use without an adapter or soldering directly to it.

IMG_0490.JPG

So that's the card readers I have and the information I have on them currently. Feel free to chime in with what works for you and what doesn't. As the N3DS eMMC seems to be pickier but not all controllers are made equally and who knows how the firmware on them is.

Side Note: Not exactly sure but SIIG, StarTek, and Plugable all make card readers that look just like the TekRepublic one.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so here are the card reader controller, makes well enough sense why the Tek-Republic and Anker ones work as they use basically Identical controllers. I wonder what my old Transend TS-RDP5K used to use. Can't find much about the Realtek controllers unfortunately but there are a couple other ones out there that use it from what I have seen.

View attachment 16878

Anker® USB 3.0 Card Reader : Realtek RTS5306 : Works as decently as the Tek one does, no complaints on reading or writing

View attachment 16874

TekRepublic TUC-300 :Realtek RTS5307 : Works well for me on the 3DS/XL and N3DSXL, my go to reader.

View attachment 16876

Transcend TS-RDP5K : GL834 Product Info : Sadly I can't get this new one to work for the N3DS but still works fine on my 3DS XL

View attachment 16877

Transcend TS-RDF5K (USB 3.0) : GL3233 Product Info : Same story as above, works fine for the 3DSXL
View attachment 16875

SanDisk SDDR-121-A11M : GL827 Datasheet : I've played around with this did some reads and writes to the 3DS/XL and N3DSXL works but it's a microSD.

View attachment 16879

So that's the card readers I have and the information I have on them currently. Feel free to chime in with what works for you and what doesn't. As the N3DS eMMC seems to be pickier but not all controllers are made equally and who knows how the firmware on them is.

Side Note: Not exactly sure but SIIG, StarTek, and Plugable all make card readers that look just like the TekRepublic one.

I bought the Transcend TS-RDP5K and it worked for one n3DS. I'm having trouble with a different one, where it isn't recognized by the PC. I keep thinking it is the placement, because the wire length (considering shielded cable at this point). All this time it could be a different controller/chip/reader combo that might be my problem?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I bought the Transcend TS-RDP5K and it worked for one n3DS. I'm having trouble with a different one, where it isn't recognized by the PC. I keep thinking it is the placement, because the wire length (considering shielded cable at this point). All this time it could be a different controller/chip/reader combo that might be my problem?
could be down to the 2 different emmc brands used in the n3DS, did you notice if they used the same emmc chip or where they different.....might be able to figure out if we have a fussy one or not based on the emmc in use (could be helpful info for people who get the mod done to know)

Reactions: peteruk

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone confirmed the CLK pin on N3DS as of yet? I left for a while but it seems that the card readers a much more picky this time around, which might have been a reason for it failing on my tests. I'd like to set up a hardware mod on my own N3DS for curiosity's sake and to avoid any mishaps with sysNAND.

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone confirmed the CLK pin on N3DS as of yet? I left for a while but it seems that the card readers a much more picky this time around, which might have been a reason for it failing on my tests. I'd like to set up a hardware mod on my own N3DS for curiosity's sake and to avoid any mishaps with sysNAND.
Yes, I believe Ninoh-FOX was able to take some reads from their N3DS. This thread should have the info on it : New 3DS (non XL) CLK... The Quest!!

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The NAND backups are encrypted to your system and cannot be transferred between systems. You NAND is only for that particular system.
So you can only restores ones you took of that system. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1