Not open for further replies.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So early this year, I bought an HP TX1000 PC and what sold me was the ability to use touch screen which I thought would be great for me to try and get into drawing. So when I finally get round to installing photoshop and trying to draw.... I realise that using it for drawing just plain sucks. Either I'm not calibrating it properly or something, I realise that using it purely for drawing isn't a good idea. Either way, I'm going to buy a graphics tablet but the Wacom ones seems pricey while the cheaper ones I saw are just too small. Is there any middle ground or recommended brand?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Genius? They have pretty decent tablets. I have an Aiptek piece of crap, and I avoid using it
dry.gif

A tablet PC doesn't have an actual -touch- screen, it has an inductive grid screen, and has to work with the pen you got with it. The screen detects the position of the pen, the pen detects pressure. That can be really screwy. The position of the cursor relative to the pen isn't directly beneath the tip, but depends on the angle at which you hold the pen, very much unlike the DS which has an actual touch-sensitive screen. You have to get used to it.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
well... I got to say Wacom may be pricy.. but they are for a reason.
I have a piss poor old thing.. works like a charm... a friend has a new nice one, works charmier!

soooo.... too bad that computer wasn't good for that reason... I wanted one
tongue.gif

TheBlueStylus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe your model of HP using a passive touch screen, meaning you can use anything to input on it, unlike most of the other tablets as Veho describes that use an RF field to tell it where the pen is and such.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a Genius MousePen 8x6 and whilst it's not going to compare to a Wacom it works well and is good value for money (they sell for about £35-40 new though I only paid £10 for mine ^^). Trust apparently also do some decent tablets.

If you want a Wacom but can't afford a Intuos then you could pick up a Graphire 3 or 4 tablet.

When I go to uni in a few months I may pick up an Intuos 3... I'll try out the university ones and see how well I get on with them first. A 12x9" one can be had for just over £200 on ebay shipped from the US - a bit cheaper than £330+ it'd cost to get one over here. I may go for a Wide version though since I have a widescreen monitor.

smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Every so often they only come around like once a year