guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there,

I have a friend which I'm trying to help that has Ryzen 2600 based PC with a Asus board (can't remember the model)...

Under warranty the PSU broke and the store replaced it, around 6 months after the new PSU seem to be failing again too but was not under warranty anymore.

Problem:
- For months he used the PC which would either randomly turn OFF or not turn ON for days.

He just bought a new PSU a few days ago but sadly it's the same, the PC wasn't starting up and only had standby power.

I went to his house, removed everything from the board including the case jumpers and left only the power cables on the board with a single ram and even removed the CMOS battery + GPU and still wouldn't turn ON.

I removed the cooler + CPU and put it back and started working right away. But when closing the metal bracket the "metal lever", the lever doesn't make any strength, there's even no spring action on it. Is this normal on ryzen AM4 socket?????

Eventually after a few hours the PC still shutdown and doesn't turn ON again with a brand new PSU even though it's another crappy one cause in the bios idle even the 12v were already like 11.9V... temperature on windows is fine with aida64 extreme burn-in test to CPU+ram temps were under 70C° for just a few minutes so they will most likely be beyond fine for unlimited time since it has MX4 well spread by me and no OC, all stock...

Ps: I never worked with a Ryzen, on Intel the metal lever always have a good strength into it with a very spring like action. I'm thinking the socket metal lever is not making enough force to squeeze the semi-circle inner pins to make good contact with the CPU round pins which after some time or with heat they might be getting loose or the new PSU is dropping too much voltage cause I haven't tested...

Last edited by guily6669,

MUR_ITA

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hello,
here is my experience, I don't know if it can help your friend but still

I build my pc in September 2018, Ryzen 5 2600X, Corsair RM750X, 16Gb ram, Gigabyte AOROUS 470
It worked fine until last year when I decided to switch my mobo to a mining rig and get a new 570 mobo to use PCI 4.0
I bought an Asus TUF Gaming 570 and in the begininng it worked without problems.
One day, and I mean after 3-4 months, I had to test a GPU from my mining rig so I switched it to my PC, when I turned on my PC... no signal, nothing, no beeps, no bootstrap, nothing.
I tried to use my rig PSU (corsair RM850X) to see if it was, as I was supposing, my PSU broken but nothing changed when I tried to boot my PC.
So at this point I started thinking that my mobo was broken cause the 850W was correctly working on my rig and considering it was still on warrancy I brought back to the shop. It took one month to get it back so meanwhile I bought another motherboard cause I couldn't stay without my pc for such a long time (I use this PC for my work) and I bought a new Gigabyte AORUS 570, which worked instantly and without any problems.
After a month I get back the Asus motherboard but i didn't want to try it, and I sold last month. I didn't receive any complain from the buyer so I suppose it's working, but well, I build pc since middle of 90's and I've never experienced something like this, in the end I have a Ryzen and Gigabyte mobo and I've never had an issue since september 2018, I had a Ryzen and Asus mobo and it stopped working after less than 6 months....
my suggestion for your friend is to buy a different model of mobo and try to sell that Asus one, I know i'm not so helpfull but in the end seems like he had the same problem I had, PC not turning on without a valid reason, I wonder if there are some compatibility issues between ryzen 2600 and asus mobos

Reactions: guily6669

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I removed the cooler + CPU and put it back and started working right away. But when closing the metal bracket the "metal lever", the lever doesn't make any strength, there's even no spring action on it. Is this normal on ryzen AM4 socket?????

Since you got it to turn on, you should troubleshoot from, there leave the GPU out for now, and use the onboard display to troubleshoot.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
here is my experience, I don't know if it can help your friend but still

I build my pc in September 2018, Ryzen 5 2600X, Corsair RM750X, 16Gb ram, Gigabyte AOROUS 470
It worked fine until last year when I decided to switch my mobo to a mining rig and get a new 570 mobo to use PCI 4.0
I bought an Asus TUF Gaming 570 and in the begininng it worked without problems.
One day, and I mean after 3-4 months, I had to test a GPU from my mining rig so I switched it to my PC, when I turned on my PC... no signal, nothing, no beeps, no bootstrap, nothing.
I tried to use my rig PSU (corsair RM850X) to see if it was, as I was supposing, my PSU broken but nothing changed when I tried to boot my PC.
So at this point I started thinking that my mobo was broken cause the 850W was correctly working on my rig and considering it was still on warrancy I brought back to the shop. It took one month to get it back so meanwhile I bought another motherboard cause I couldn't stay without my pc for such a long time (I use this PC for my work) and I bought a new Gigabyte AORUS 570, which worked instantly and without any problems.
After a month I get back the Asus motherboard but i didn't want to try it, and I sold last month. I didn't receive any complain from the buyer so I suppose it's working, but well, I build pc since middle of 90's and I've never experienced something like this, in the end I have a Ryzen and Gigabyte mobo and I've never had an issue since september 2018, I had a Ryzen and Asus mobo and it stopped working after less than 6 months....
my suggestion for your friend is to buy a different model of mobo and try to sell that Asus one, I know i'm not so helpfull but in the end seems like he had the same problem I had, PC not turning on without a valid reason, I wonder if there are some compatibility issues between ryzen 2600 and asus mobos
I'm also into PC's since the 90s but only had 1 AMD some FX from 2005 or 2006, can't even remember...

But what about the AM4 socket is the lever supossed to be that soft like I explained?

About Asus Vs Gigabyte I think it's all relative, I had many problems with both until 2011, I had quite a few bad Asus and gigabyte intel 775...

On my 2011 Asus Sabertooth P67 I used it until last year with 0 problems for 11 years of heavy use and with heavy OC on my I7 2600K at 4.9ghz...

Anyway I don't think he can buy a new board for now, he has many problems and is not currently working he took many months just to buy the PSU which ended up the same sadly (all my old PSUs are dead too so I don't have any for testing) :wink:

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having the cpu not seated properly is uncommon but it does happen, It is also one of the weirdest faults for pc builders to determine, because most will just chalk it up as motherboard defect and get a replacement. For me, I'd probably check if all the pins on cpu aren't damaged and the cpu socket is free of foreign matter just to make sure. As for the cpu clamp mechanism, it should have a slight tension having the cpu socketed

Last edited by ZeroT21,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you get your friend to list all the component he has in that computer, he can check if he need a better power supply, if it under supplying watt that can be a problem.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Using pcpartpicker he can get a rough estimate if he under wattage or not. As for the CPU it need to be seated properly, and the heatsink need to be screwed in tight.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Sounds likely that the board is gone and has been damaged by him continually using the PC when it obviously had an issue. Why would you keep on using a computer if it is shutting down all the time anyway? You must know it will not end well. I have a UPS to protect my PC and other high end devices from potentially bad power and stuff like that. Surge protectors can only do so much to protect your components. Although equally, it could be the CPU that has been damaged.

He is probably better off just ditching the board and CPU and getting replacements. Also ditch the PSU if it is crappy even if it is new. I learned a long time ago that having a cheap shitty PSU is the worst thing you can do when PC building.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's nothing to do with wattage sadly, the PSU is like 650W and has maybe like around 500w on the 12v if I remember well now the thing is both his PSUs are crap but I'm not going to take my Corsair AX750 out of my working PC to test...

His total wattage is much less than my PC, his GPU is a Nvidia GTX 1660 super if I remember well with a low end Asus motherboard + 2 low frequency DDR 4 dimms + 1 case fan only on the rear and the original small AMD Ryzen cooler with no RGB...

Ps: however I still think having 11.9v on the 12v rail shown on the board UEFI on a brand new PSU is not already a good sign while just idle in the bios...
Sounds likely that the board is gone and has been damaged by him continually using the PC when it obviously had an issue. Why would you keep on using a computer if it is shutting down all the time anyway? You must know it will not end well. I have a UPS to protect my PC and other high end devices from potentially bad power and stuff like that. Surge protectors can only do so much to protect your components. Although equally, it could be the CPU that has been damaged.

He is probably better off just ditching the board and CPU and getting replacements. Also ditch the PSU if it is crappy even if it is new. I learned a long time ago that having a cheap shitty PSU is the worst thing you can do when PC building.
I know all of that and already told him when it started for him to talk with his cousin to see if he could lent him a PSU for testing and if it was the PSU for him to buy an actual good tested one by the community but well he just kept going and ended up buying another crap PSU without even testing other from his cousin\friend for free...

also to not help his room has no earth\ground wire and I already told him many times that alone is pretty bad, at least here before my 2011 PC I never had a PC that would last 3 years without burning stuff, I also didn't have earth, in 2011 before using the new built PC by me back then we put earth wire and 0 problems with the PC since 2011 to last year which 1 CPU core burned on my 2600K at 4.9ghz but damn 11 years of use at 4.9ghz for so many thousands of hours and still actually works by setting 3 active cores in the bios.

I also chose a Corsair AX750 for me back in 2011 the sucker came with like 9 years of warranty and it's also still alive but going bad already, the cables are all screwed very loose and making poor connection and voltage drops like crazy, I have to keep messing with the cables until I get proper good voltage but still manages.

And about the UPS well I found out back in 2011 that if you don't spend a lot of big money on a UPS (at least back then), you better off not ever buying a UPS, cause I bought a known branded one for almost 200€ with a lot of wattage to then find out it would make my Corsair PSU to go nuts cause it's sinewave is bad and when testing removing the UPS from the socket the Corsair PSU would make a crazy noise, like coil whine but multiplied by 10 and in a much more lower frequency sound and after that day I never used the UPS ever again but my corsair until this day kept making coil whine which it didn't before though it's nothing like the noise of being connected to the UPS garbage, you really need a very expensive one that the electrical signal is very stable and not squared (almost 200€ lost for it)...

ps: Anyway after resitting his CPU like I said the PC was always finally working and turning ON fine all the time and like I said the AM4 socket Lever is super soft it makes almost no strength at all and it might be the cause of the problems too, I can't test voltage now until the PC turns ON, I haven't gone to his house yet again to test, but I bet resitting the CPU again will most likely turn ON again LOL.

Reactions: MUR_ITA

MUR_ITA

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm also into PC's since the 90s but only had 1 AMD some FX from 2005 or 2006, can't even remember...

But what about the AM4 socket is the lever supossed to be that soft like I explained?

About Asus Vs Gigabyte I think it's all relative, I had many problems with both until 2011, I had quite a few bad Asus and gigabyte intel 775...

On my 2011 Asus Sabertooth P67 I used it until last year with 0 problems for 11 years of heavy use and with heavy OC on my I7 2600K at 4.9ghz...

Anyway I don't think he can buy a new board for now, he has many problems and is not currently working he took many months just to buy the PSU which ended up the same sadly (all my old PSUs are dead too so I don't have any for testing) :wink:
the AM4 lever is soft, at least in my opinion and considering my last intel cpu was a core 2 Duo back in middle 00's :)
check if the cpu pins are ok and not folded, recently I broke the AMD 3100 I used into my rig because i didn't fit properly into the socket and when I closed the lever probably they got folded

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the AM4 lever is soft, at least in my opinion and considering my last intel cpu was a core 2 Duo back in middle 00's :)
check if the cpu pins are ok and not folded, recently I broke the AMD 3100 I used into my rig because i didn't fit properly into the socket and when I closed the lever probably they got folded
Thank you for the reply and that sucks, I was really thinking it could be the lever cause it has no strength on it neither potential spring force, I have seen the interior pins and they are semi-circles I thought maybe they are not squeezing with enough force on the CPU pins for perfect contact, but since it seems to be like that from factory there goes my theory :sad:

All CPU pins are fine, I checked them after removing it from the board, no bents or broken pins either...

I can't remember my 2005\2006 AMD FX lever, but all intels I had have a lot of strength in the lever and at the end they are like a spring.

ps: I think he is pretty much screwed, like I said he has many problems, can't work at the moment and is going crazy without PC for a few months and no money for parts:wink:.
Having the cpu not seated properly is uncommon but it does happen, It is also one of the weirdest faults for pc builders to determine, because more will just chalk it up as motherboard defect and get a replacement. For me, I'd probably check if all the pins on cpu aren't damaged and the cpu socket is free of foreign matter just to make sure. As for the cpu clamp mechanism, it should have a slight tension having the cpu socketed
Sry, I haven't seen your commend before, so then @MUR_ITA says it's soft or is AM4 supposed to have some tension in the lever?

His AM4 board has no tension in the lever, you can literally put the smallest finger with just the tip make almost 0 strength and you can clamp it down and even if you "unclamp" it sideway or whatever you would call but leave the lever fully down it doesn't go up either, it's really super crappy soft, but you definitely see the bottom plastic with holes moving to clamping position...

He also is used mostly to intel and never had removed the cooler on his Ryzen and thought like WTF on the lever...

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
His AM4 board has no tension in the lever, you can literally put the smallest finger with just the tip make almost 0 strength and you can clamp it down and even if you "unclamp" it sideway or whatever you would call but leave the lever fully down it doesn't go up either, it's really super crappy soft, but you definitely see the bottom plastic with holes moving to clamping position...

He also is used mostly to intel and never had removed the cooler on his Ryzen and thought like WTF on the lever...
This is normal, because AMD CPUs are still using PGA sockets. The only reason you feel so much pressure on Intel motherboards is because they're LGA, the pins are located in the socket and thus require a lot of pressure to maintain that connection. AMD CPUs just slot into a board, and make a secure connection without requiring that much pressure. The lever is only used to lock the pins into place, not keep them seated.

As for the issue, it's definitely a board problem, and should've been the first thing replaced. I wouldn't be surprised if the shit PSU killed the board. The CPU itself is probably fine though, so it likely doesn't need to be replaced unless he has the money to upgrade to a 3xxx/5xxx series CPU.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having the cpu not seated properly is uncommon but it does happen, It is also one of the weirdest faults for pc builders to determine, because more will just chalk it up as motherboard defect and get a replacement. For me, I'd probably check if all the pins on cpu aren't damaged and the cpu socket is free of foreign matter just to make sure. As for the cpu clamp mechanism, it should have a slight tension having the cpu socketed

This is normal, because AMD CPUs are still using PGA sockets. The only reason you feel so much pressure on Intel motherboards is because they're LGA, the pins are located in the socket and thus require a lot of pressure to maintain that connection. AMD CPUs just slot into a board, and make a secure connection without requiring that much pressure. The lever is only used to lock the pins into place, not keep them seated.

As for the issue, it's definitely a board problem, and should've been the first thing replaced. I wouldn't be surprised if the shit PSU killed the board. The CPU itself is probably fine though, so it likely doesn't need to be replaced unless he has the money to upgrade to a 3xxx/5xxx series CPU.
I'm familiar with the differences between LGA and PGA, but never worked with AMD Ryzen locking mechanism just thought it was really bad to have no tension, I already knew it wouldn't have much as it's not needed to be pressed inside, but thought it would still have some tension, I have worked with a few FX from like 2006 mine and from a friend and the latest AMD I fixed was a FX 8350 but can't really remember anything about their lever tension at all but I'm thinking it had at least some small tension...

The most probable reason was the PSU damaging the board, but still strange that after resitting all was working fine, the CPU also was totally fine at 100% use on Aida Extreme 64 with 0 problems, until he called me a few hours later saying it's the same, doesn't turn ON again ;)

Like I said a few times he has no money, he's basically completely screwed... I do know a friend that repaired my 2012 laptop that made me an amazing price of 20€ to solder many small SMD components that went puff, it wouldn't give any signal at all, maybe I could redirect to him as he is a electronics repair specialist, but even if he makes a good price I'm guessing it will still take him months to be able to send the motherboard to him :(

ps: Still I wouldn't also doubt the brand new crap PSU is bad reading 11.9V on 12V in the bios idle... But I don't have any testing PSU and won't take my Corsair AX750 from my working PC which is fully clean and has brand new thermal paste and all cables behind the case which is a nightmare with this smaller cables to hide...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E