Hacking My SD card corrupts when I install certain games via tinfoil

angel-val

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm trying to move to a bigger SD card, and I've succeeded multiple times, so that may not be part of the problem, just thought I'd mention it for context.

The problem is that installing my backups via tinfoil has seemingly corrupted my whole SD card multiple times, as atmosphere crashes and errors out when I try to launch it; this requires me to re-copy the files/partitions from the old SD card. It only happens for certain games, too, namely link's awakening and ACNH of the ones I've tried. I know these are good backups too, as I've installed them in the past, so that's not the problem. I was wondering if I could save the hassle of trial and error and just solve whatever's causing the error.

If you're wondering, the error is as folllows:

Rich (BB code):
Unknown pkg1 version.

HOS version not supported!

Or emuMMC corrupt!

Trying backup bootloader...

Found pkg1 ('y').

Unknown pkg1 version.

HOS version not supported!

Or emuMMC corrupt!

Failed to launch HOS!

Press any key...

Luckily it doesn't force me to turn off the console like some crashes do, it just puts me back in hekate/nyx.

angel-val

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Could be a fake SD card?

Often cheap SD card are a small size SD card faked to look like a larger SD card. Once you fill the space up that really exists you end up corrupting the SD card.
nope. name brand, bought in a brick and mortar store. plus like i say it only happens with certain games (found out through trial and error)

keegokahgo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a tech store who I know buys directly from the brands. And the card is formatted in fat32.
Test it anyway. Use h2testw on a PC to see if it truly is capable of holding the storage it says it can. Fake cards generally corrupt themselves after hitting a certain limit because it will just essentially overwrite itself when it goes past what your device may say which is why we think your card may be fake

Reactions: impeeza

angel-val

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Test it anyway. Use h2testw on a PC to see if it truly is capable of holding the storage it says it can. Fake cards generally corrupt themselves after hitting a certain limit because it will just essentially overwrite itself when it goes past what your device may say which is why we think your card may be fake
that's not the problem though. like i say, it only happens when installing certain files, pretty much as soon as i begin their installation, and I've installed different total sizes of games before i tried them each time i've had to go through the process. the SD capacity is not the problem here

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
that's not the problem though. like i say, it only happens when installing certain files, pretty much as soon as i begin their installation, and I've installed different total sizes of games before i tried them each time i've had to go through the process. the SD capacity is not the problem here
No, the problem definitely is you not wanting to test the card. I had so many people that thought they bought a legit one, even with 1TBs that were expensive and in the end they were fake.

angel-val

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I did the test using f3 on linux, and everything looks fine (see screenshot). Also, I get over 50+ gigs into the card while installing stuff, don't sd card scammers normally use 4 or 8 gb cards?

1686711238648.png

(the reason it's only 56 gigs is because there was already 66 gb taken up by files, so it didn't check that space)

I would like to find a solution which means I don't have to restore the card again every time installing a game goes wrong.

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wipe the card. Do the test. I got a fake Samsung card once from a professional visual effects studio vendor. They are everywhere.

If you can repo it every single time with the same games, looks like a bad dump.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the test using f3 on linux, and everything looks fine (see screenshot). Also, I get over 50+ gigs into the card while installing stuff, don't sd card scammers normally use 4 or 8 gb cards?

View attachment 377782

(the reason it's only 56 gigs is because there was already 66 gb taken up by files, so it didn't check that space)

I would like to find a solution which means I don't have to restore the card again every time installing a game goes wrong.

Test the whole card with the card empty.

angel-val

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Did the test after a format and it all looks nominal.
1686797918311.png

and since i formatted the card i don't really think it'd be productive to look at the SD info unless i were to do the whole copy again, which i'm trying to avoid. i think at this point I'm just going to try a clean emuMMC install onto the new card honestly

keegokahgo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you using to install your games and have you done anything to change/update your method in anyway in between your last successful install of those games and now? If you haven't changed your process in any way, you could try a different install method instead. Using awoo on the Switch itself and installing via USB using ns-usbloader on my PC always works for me without fail

angel-val

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
That's a good idea, if what I'm doing right now doesn't work I'll try that

But I did keep those old backups on a usb in a dusty drawer in the corner of my room for a couple of years, so I've decided to do fresh dumps. So far it's been working out combined with a fresh CFW install, so it seems good, but if i have trouble again i will def try a different install method.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Dem 🥜 s +1