Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's what I have:

Splinter cell
LINUX save file for SC
Linux Installer

Sounds great, right? I'm just 99% sure my actual Xbox dashboard was KIA or something. I can still boot discs, but without a disc my Xbox yells at me to contact MS. (yeah right)

I try to use the mod installer to install evox or unleashx, no luck. Sometimes errors pop up, other times they don't. On the HDD I can boot into any file I want from the installer. Ejecting a disc goes back to the (missing) dash. I have someone's ~900 MB XBMC installer. I tried an option on there to install MS dash, didn't seem to work.

Help?

beanfarmer

Trophies
XP
Country
if you can still boot disks you should be fine just load SC and try the mod again or boot into linux and move the files around yourself if not then youll need to hardmod to fix the problem could go soulderless but it would probably be cheaper to buy a new xbox there

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I assume you do not have a shadow C installed- if you do revert back to the original. Worst case scenario is you are seeing your hard drive get some bad sectors on the way out (alas random error messages could well be a sign of this).

Other than that some installers* work in interesting ways but the time shortcuts, jump loaders, pre loaders and whatever else gets sorted. I suggest a copy of slayers install/boot disc or preferably AID (auto installer deluxe).

*hardmod and softmod installers can work differently as well and some of those rescue/install discs are not made for both.

Finally if you still have your EEPROM (or otherwise know the drive key- some applications/methods will lock it with a standard key) or you dump it (if you have a virtual EEPROM installed then run the dump through "liveinfo" and compare the serial it spits out to the one on your xbox to make sure you have not dumped the virtual one) then there is always xboxhdm and a PC.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Get an original copy of a game such as Halo 2 to use to fix your dash first. (Halo 2 has the version of the dash required for the softmod.)

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lilsypha said:
Get an original copy of a game such as Halo 2 to use to fix your dash first. (Halo 2 has the version of the dash required for the softmod.)
Will this work? Do you know anyone else able to install a new dash from H2 when there's no dash there in the first place?

edit: I have Doom3, seems like that will work too. What will happen if I install the new dash? Does the disc for H2/D3 have everything I need to get a new dash?

edit2: Doesn't look like D3 works, I just tried it.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I press "troubleshoot" on the XBL menu, I think it tries to load the dash update and fails to due dirty disc.

I'll try and get H2 from the same friend that sold me Doom 3. Scratched discs ahoy!

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems my Xbox goes to the dash to install the update. Halo 2 didn't work either. I don't think any official MS disc will work.

What should I do?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o