OG Xbox running very slowly

xX1TheMarley1Xx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there! I have recently got my old OG Xbox out the attic as I wanted to play some games on it (it was modded by my grandads friend and runs on evox, aladin xt plus chip) I have managed to get it working but the dashboard is excruciatingly slow, the hard drive makes a sound then stops and continues to do so, with each rumble it makes the screen loads in a bit more of the dashboard, before finding out I needed to reinstall the chip (chip had broken as this console is 20yrs old) I thought it was a hard drive issue and I backed everything up as I'm not tech savvy and didn't want to lose my childhood games, but now it's working it keeps making this rumble sound then stops and the dash is very slow, my suspicion is when I've backed the hdd up its put too much data on the drive, thus making it slower, I have xhdm for browsing the hdd but I don't want to delete the wrong files as like I say I'm not very tech savvy, I do apologise if this is a bit of a vague explanation as I'm not very savvy with this kind of thing, if anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it a ton, thankyou and kind regards!

Attachments

• 20240220_162557.jpg
    20240220_162557.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 20240220_173728.jpg
    20240220_173728.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240220_173836.jpg
    20240220_173836.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe its time to upgrade the HDD to an SSD and do a fresh start. Do make sure you unlock the drive before backing up all of your files.

There are plenty of OG Xbox modding guides on ConsoleMods that you can follow to get started:
https://consolemods.org/wiki/Xbox:Original_Xbox_Mods_Wiki

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Your capacitors might also severely benefit from a replacement.

It's good you backed up the data but if you hadn't and your drive died, you can essentially revive an Xbox with a chip and Slayers CD.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your capacitors might also severely benefit from a replacement.

It's good you backed up the data but if you hadn't and your drive died, you can essentially revive an Xbox with a chip and Slayers CD.
The Slayers disc, never heard of that name in such a long time. I prefer using the OGXbox Installer Disc or HeXeN to update your modded Xbox.

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know how slow is slow. But why not try to replace the hard disk with another P-ATA one to test? It's the cheapest/easiest test to find out if the disk is the problem. Sometimes defective disks are still working, but very slow.

Some weeks ago I had a 160GB Hitachi one which was defect and the transfer rate dropped to a slow 8-16MB/s.

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
But that's a expensive upgrade :P The adapter is at least 25. Then you'll need a 80 pin wire with enough length if you want to connect the DVD too, those go for around 15. And then the S-ATA drive itself, at least 20.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But that's a expensive upgrade :P The adapter is at least 25. Then you'll need a 80 pin wire with enough length if you want to connect the DVD too, those go for around 15. And then the S-ATA drive itself, at least 20.
Its better said than done, at least for the most part. The StarTech adapter is around £15-20 quid depending on where you get it from. I wouldn't buy it from Amazon since they love to overprice their stock.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335237662400

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That thing is more then £27,- including the shipping :P Plus tax and processing cost needed to pay in NL.

I'll keep P-ATA hard disks for as long as I can :P

If old hard disks survive the first 10 years, it probably will do another 20 years :P

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your hard drive is most likely dying. If it's the original hard drive, it's over 20 years old at this point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto