• Replies 389
  • Likes 13

Stories8106

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Galaga portion of the game was not colorized, it still has the SGB palettes.
And the background is not black, but a very dark shade of gray. That's because the author used an emulator that alters the colors to test this hack.
That doesn't sound too tough to fix, so long as the attribute values are accessed easily through debugging.

SGB vs...? Arcade palettes?

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That doesn't sound too tough to fix, so long as the attribute values are accessed easily through debugging.

SGB vs...? Arcade palettes?
Here you go.
6541screenshot1.png
i8HFYUc.png

Changing the background color *might* be possible, but as you can see the Game Boy version of Galaga is all red, white and blue and the three colors are shared with all sprites. In order to make it close to the arcade you must use ASM to give each sprite its own palette.

Stories8106

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here you go.
6541screenshot1.png
i8HFYUc.png

Changing the background color *might* be possible, but as you can see the Game Boy version of Galaga is all red, white and blue and the three colors are shared with all sprites. In order to make it close to the arcade you must use ASM to give each sprite its own palette.
There's 4 open palettes, and it looks like the attributes are stored in ROM, so that's an easy fix. After they land, they become background objects, so you could just change the palette there as well. It's tedious, but not super complex. In fact, that'd be a great project to learn how to make an addendum patch.

1674582478750.png

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There's 4 open palettes, and it looks like the attributes are stored in ROM, so that's an easy fix. After they land, they become background objects, so you could just change the palette there as well. It's tedious, but not super complex. In fact, that'd be a great project to learn how to make an addendum patch.

View attachment 349111
Sounds like a good project to work on. I'm sure he'd be willing to update the hack instead of making it a separate addendum, I could try contacting him if desired.
Still though, I think attempting the fix as an addendum first would be a good way to tackle it, and then present it as an update for the actual hack could be a possibility.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,
  • Love
Reactions: lordelan

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sounds like a good project to work on. I'm sure he'd be willing to update the hack instead of making it a separate addendum, I could try contacting him if desired.
Still though, I think attempting the fix as an addendum first would be a good way to tackle it, and then present it as an update for the actual hack could be a possibility.
Alleyway DX would also benefit an update, as some colors need to be changed since they don't look right on some points.
Not only that, but apparently the hack causes the game's audio to be lower than the unpatched game.

Stories8106

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alleyway DX would also benefit an update, as some colors need to be changed since they don't look right on some points.
Not only that, but apparently the hack causes the game's audio to be lower than the unpatched game.
Go for it. Like myself and @ShadowOne333 said, they are both very good examples of romhacking starter projects where you can really learn how to debug and modify code. You don't need any real understanding of ASM to modify these sort of things. Since the colorization is already done, you'd just be going in and modifying existing values to change palette attributes. It's how I learned to do it.

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Last edited by SDA,
  • Angry
Reactions: SylverReZ

Specialagentape

Trophies
Website
agentape.bandcamp.com
XP
Country
United States
For someone who doesn't like RHDN because users criticized your hack, you sure do like insulting others' months of work and then wonder why they have you blocked. For anyone else who recognizes the months of work that go into these I hope you enjoy it, though. I'd like to potentially do the second game at some point so I hope people will look forward to that despite it not reaching the impossibly high standard of MM5DX, a completely different game.

That said, comments like yours discourage what are essentially unpaid fans and hobbyists. If you want more DX hacks to be made, discouraging the few people confident enough to be making them is not a good way to do it. Wily's Revenge can be beaten in an hour, but colorizing Wily's Revenge takes months. Look forward to a disappointing and underwhelming colorization of the sequel from yours truly though! :)

Stories8106

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I did in early 2021, and I was banned again just one week later. Back then MojoDodo wasn't active on RHDN yet.

Sorry, but I already included this hack in a previous post.
Post automatically merged:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7492/

Mega Man World GBC has arrived. It’s not as good as Mega Man World 5 DX, though.
You throw a lot of shade for someone who doesn't want to put in the effort to learn.

You have so many critiques, and an almost desperate need to over analyze "errors" or inaccuracies. Yet, you know nothing about what goes into it. When prompted with opportunities to learn, you deflect or ignore the subject entirely.

Then you wonder why the romhacking community is so hostile to you. You have several of the most prestigious colorizers in this very thread, and rather than learn from them, all you've done is complain. It's exhausting.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For someone who doesn't like RHDN because users criticized your hack, you sure do like insulting others' months of work and then wonder why they have you blocked. For anyone else who recognizes the months of work that go into these I hope you enjoy it, though. I'd like to potentially do the second game at some point so I hope people will look forward to that despite it not reaching the impossibly high standard of MM5DX, a completely different game.

That said, comments like yours discourage what are essentially unpaid fans and hobbyists. If you want more DX hacks to be made, discouraging the few people confident enough to be making them is not a good way to do it. Wily's Revenge can be beaten in an hour, but colorizing Wily's Revenge takes months. Look forward to a disappointing and underwhelming colorization of the sequel from yours truly though! :)
Ah, I hadn't forgotten about you. :angry:

• Angry
Reactions: SylverReZ

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It fascinates me how you can enjoy the works of these people, yet seem to despise them so much.

Not every comment needs to be an argument or a critique.
Well, apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this hack isn't the bestest of all.

In fact it already got a negative review on RHDN.

Specialagentape

Trophies
Website
agentape.bandcamp.com
XP
Country
United States
The review was positive with some subjective gripes, or does the Yes/No thing being misrepresentative of what a review actually says only apply to you? I don't think my hack is the besestest ever, but I do think that constantly being compared to marc who colorized a much bigger game is obnoxious and tasteless which is what I commented on. The main thing is I feel like you are rude to people making hacks you supposedly like but only have vitriol for and the way you approach criticism is actually making less people in the colorization scene want to listen to you.

Reactions: Stories8106

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In reality, I've never been friends with any of the colorizators on the scene, neither toruzz, marc_max or even the author of the Wario Land DX hack.

And, honestly, I don't even want to.

Specialagentape

Trophies
Website
agentape.bandcamp.com
XP
Country
United States
They're nice people who have a passion for making things you like. I don't know why you've chosen the way to thank these people for their hard work is constant nastiness. They're good friends to have who care a lot about their work and are all trying to make the best hacks they can with what they know, and they have the skill and commitment to see these really time consuming projects through to the end. Please reevaluate how you engage with them and their work.

Reactions: Stories8106

Stories8106

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In reality, I've never been friends with any of the colorizators on the scene, neither toruzz, marc_max or even the author of the Wario Land DX hack.

And, honestly, I don't even want to.
In reality, I hope you don't behave don't like you do online. It's immature, demeaning, and sad.

I'm surprised you haven't been banned from here yet.
Post automatically merged:

@M4x1mumReZ you mentioned you are interested in maybe learning to colorize? If you shoot me a PM I can get you an discord invite.

Last edited by Stories8106,

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You might have heard that several addendum patches on ROMhacking.net were taken down due to license issues.

Out of them, the Fluffy Repair Service for Kirby's Dream Land DX and the Protech Bug Eraser for Snoopy's Magic Show DX are no longer available for download - it's a cold shower for the whole colorization scene!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree"