Homebrew Question mSD filesystem (Switch OS <-> Homebrew)

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I haven't used a micro SD card in my 3.0.0 Switch yet (because there's no reason without eShop access) but according to this it seems that the mSD card doesn't have a Ninty filesystem (some WFS stuff) but some FAT (ex or 32) thing like it is the case for the 3DS.

Can anyone tell me, what exactly the filesystem of a Switch mSD card is?

What concerns me more is whether the same mSD could be used for eShop games and homebrew (once we're getting filesystem access homebrew).

Can any of the devs tell me whether it will be possible to have official Switch games from the eShop and a RetroArch rom collection on the same mSD card like we can with the 3DS?
@SciresM @Natehaxx anyone? :)

Last edited by lordelan,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe Nintendo didn't learn their lesson about web browser exploits and SD storage ALWAYS leading to system hacks and homebrew. Maybe if they'd give the system enough storage space in the first place, external storage wouldn't be needed. Or make the SD storage with a proprietary file system like the Wii U has. Then add encryption to it.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can't believe Nintendo didn't learn their lesson about web browser exploits and SD storage ALWAYS leading to system hacks and homebrew. Maybe if they'd give the system enough storage space in the first place, external storage wouldn't be needed. Or make the SD storage with a proprietary file system like the Wii U has. Then add encryption to it.

That is already there... Your Switch is capable to use 1 MicroSD at a time. When you swap it out and insert another one then that is the main card. So I do not see what is wrong there... at the moment there are no exploits using the MicroSD.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That is already there... Your Switch is capable to use 1 MicroSD at a time. When you swap it out and insert another one then that is the main card. So I do not see what is wrong there... at the moment there are no exploits using the MicroSD.
we'll get kernel access again, it's prettymuch a guarantee eventually, and with that comes SD read and write. Homebrew will obviously use it, just like every homebrew loader does.

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@lordelan The Switch supports FAT32-formatted SD cards, and additionally can support exFAT SD cards (provided you allow it to perform a sysupdate to install the relevant FIRM image when you insert such a card for the first time).
Thx. That means I can "enjoy" 32 GB SD cards for now (3.0.0) until a way to have both (homebrew and newest FW) comes out. :)

Although there are methods to format bigger than 32 GB cards to FAT32 as well.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
It does? That's convenient. Nintendo will bring back the SD cases that were the hip back in the early 2000s.

Classicgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@lordelan The Switch supports FAT32-formatted SD cards, and additionally can support exFAT SD cards (provided you allow it to perform a sysupdate to install the relevant FIRM image when you insert such a card for the first time).

Do you know if it’s possible (or believe it to become possible) to install this exFAT FIRM using homebrew?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.