Tutorial More-or-less Catch-All Tutorial

Switch CFW tutorial to focus on ReiNAND?

• Switch to ReiNAND (Lighter footprint, seems to work better in most systems, native regionfree TBD)

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Keep using rxTools (Unstable, build Dropbox host goes down every other day, generally troublesome)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Datadayne

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
homebrewheaven.net
XP
Country
Canada
Me too. One of the three files is a firm.bin. Should I use this one?
Ok quick question with the rx-tools setup for O3DS;

on this step:

"firmware.bin:
O3DS: Downloadable through the following Windows .bat script:"

I got that script to work ok, but after it completed it still gave me 3 files back and not one single
"firmware.bin" file which is needed in the next step... Please help...

Reactions: noobmeonce

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok quick question with the rx-tools setup for O3DS;

on this step:

"firmware.bin:
O3DS: Downloadable through the following Windows .bat script:"

I got that script to work ok, but after it completed it still gave me 3 files back and not one single
"firmware.bin" file which is needed in the next step... Please help...
My mistake, formatting on the script got messed up somewhere along the way and 4 lines got crunched up into 1.
Try this:
Code:
@ECHO OFF
bitsadmin /transfer FIRM /priority high http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000002/00000049 "%~dp0\firm.bin"
pause
bitsadmin /transfer TWL /priority high http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000202/0000000B "%~dp0\twl.bin"
pause
bitsadmin /transfer AGB /priority high http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000102/00000016 "%~dp0\agb.bin"
pause
copy /b "%~dp0\firm.bin"+"%~dp0\twl.bin"+"%~dp0\agb.bin" "%~dp0\firmware.bin"
del"%~dp0\firm.bin"
del"%~dp0\twl.bin"
del"%~dp0\agb.bin"
pause

Don't understand. Do all the files found in the folder go root of the SD card? Downgraded. Backup Sysnand. Created emunand. Stuck at 12 and can't launch Homemenu Browser. Is RxTools installing at every boot natural?
rxTools performing Installation at every boot is not normal; there was a way to fix this through downloading the files the installation data suite is supposed to spit out, but I can't link those.
The FBI .app and .tmd files corresponding to what Advanced > Install FBI > emuNAND > Check TMD tells you go in the SD card root.
If you're on a N3DS, you'll have to inject FBI to Health & Safety manually with this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-inject-any-app-into-health-safety-o3ds-n3ds-cfw-only.402236/

noobmeonce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My mistake, formatting on the script got messed up somewhere along the way and 4 lines got crunched up into 1.
Try this:
Code:
@ECHO OFF
bitsadmin /transfer FIRM /priority high http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000002/00000049 "%~dp0\firm.bin"
pause
bitsadmin /transfer TWL /priority high http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000202/0000000B "%~dp0\twl.bin"
pause
bitsadmin /transfer AGB /priority high http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000102/00000016 "%~dp0\agb.bin"
pause
del"%~dp0\firm.bin"
del"%~dp0\twl.bin"
del"%~dp0\agb.bin"
pause

That did it.... space between the " " and the breaks - I wonder if anyone else fixed it themselves. xD

Reserved

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try this:
Code:
@ECHO OFF
pause
pause
pause
del"%~dp0\firm.bin"
del"%~dp0\twl.bin"
del"%~dp0\agb.bin"
pause

rxTools performing Installation at every boot is not normal; there was a way to fix this through downloading the files the installation data suite is supposed to spit out, but I can't link those.
The FBI .app and .tmd files corresponding to what Advanced > Install FBI > emuNAND > Check TMD tells you go in the SD card root.
If you're on a N3DS, you'll have to inject FBI to Health & Safety manually with this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-inject-any-app-into-health-safety-o3ds-n3ds-cfw-only.402236/
Is this the reason my emuNAND says it can't load NATIVE_FIRM 4 or w/e? I used the original firm.bin simply renamed firmware.bin thinking it'd work.

Creqaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have downgraded twice now to 9.2 (9.9 -> 10.3 -> 9.2 -> 10.3 -> 9.2) but browserhax just doesn't work on 9.2. I cleared the cookies/history/save data but all it does is crash with an "error occurred, restart system" message. I tried the QR code and typing the urls manually but nothing.

//edit I got it to work, just delete the cookies every single time before pressing the slider and it works.

Last edited by Creqaw,

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok so i got everything working but when i changed the theme on sysand i cant boot back into RXtools or HBL the menuhax stoped working any help???

Last edited by IpsoFact0,

farcall

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Downgraded my o3ds from 10.3 to 9.2 successfully and setup emunand + rxtools. took me awhile though as i am completely new to all this 3ds stuff. i also had trouble with rxtools black screening when loading it from the CTRBootManager with menuhax. i think i created some sort of bootloop as i configured menuhax to trigger when L is NOT pressed (more or less autostart). using another unzipper then the onboard windows tool could also help :)

thanks for the guide!

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nice... I just finished installing rxTools... like 7 more SD card swaps to go bro! xD
Bout to unlink emunand and sysnand

I'm unsure of which NAND should I format to unlink them. I want to play Triforce Heroes online using the cia version on rxTools, but don't want to lose my NNID on sysNAND.
If I format my sysNAND can I link my NNID to it later? (I'm aware my friend list will get wiped)

noobmeonce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm unsure of which NAND should I format to unlink them. I want to play Triforce Heroes online using the cia version on rxTools, but don't want to lose my NNID on sysNAND.
If I format my sysNAND can I link my NNID to it later? (I'm aware my friend list will get wiped)

I would never format my sysnand if I were you, but I'm still new to this. The point of unlinking your emunand from your sysnand is to update the emunand and keep your sysnand in tact. Beyond that I'm still new to CIA injection processes
and how they affect your NNID.

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would never format my sysnand if I were you, but I'm still new to this. The point of unlinking your emunand from your sysnand is to update the emunand and keep your sysnand in tact. Beyond that I'm still new to CIA injection processes
and how they affect your NNID.

I guess I'm going to format emuNAND then, using system format under system settings should work (I don't see what's the point in using TinyFormat for this).
I've read here that NNID is still linked to your emuNAND regardless of which NAND you format.

0N666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Injected FBI, but now RXTools is blackscreening when trying to boot to emunand?

Old 3ds, downgraded fine, every step was perfect but when trying to use RX mode to boot EMUNAND it blacks screens,

Any help???

noobmeonce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Injected FBI, but now RXTools is blackscreening when trying to boot to emunand?

Old 3ds, downgraded fine, every step was perfect but when trying to use RX mode to boot EMUNAND it blacks screens,

Any help???

Yes, as Sgt Lulz stated, if you get a black screen, use the other older build of rx-tools and reinject the FBI.
(just overwrite the old folders, do not delete anything)
The same happened to me and this fixed it. O3DS though.

Last edited by noobmeonce,

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Hmm, I seem to have a strange behavior with RxTools and DLC.

I remember purchasing some DLC for smash brothers some time ago, and I managed to get "all the current dlc" from that iso site, however, smash refuses to load any of it aside from the DLC i had previously purchased, which is strange because my NANDs are unlinked and my NNID has never been in my emuNAND until now.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok so i got everything working but when i changed the theme on sysand i cant boot back into RXtools or HBL the menuhax stoped working any help???

You did read the instructions carefully, right?

CAUTION: Don't change your Home Menu theme after installing this, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Doing so will uninstall Menuhax and render it unusable. You can, however, install custom themes by dropping body_LZ.bin and bgm.bcstm into the menuhax_manager folder and selecting Install custom theme.

Last edited by mechagouki,
Reactions: Sgt. Lulz

fablz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As in the copy command reference, you should also specify the /b flag for every input. Making it
Code:
copy "%~dp0\firm.bin" /b + "%~dp0\twl.bin" /b + "%~dp0\agb.bin" /b "%~dp0\firmware.bin"

As I had some problems with unsuccessful downloads, I wrote a powershell script with some error handling. You can use this if you want.
Code:
Import-Module BitsTransfer

function Wait-BitsAsyncComplete ($job)
{
    while (($job.JobState -eq "Transferring") -or ($job.JobState -eq "Connecting"))
    {
        Start-Sleep -Seconds 1
    }

Switch($job.JobState)
    {
	    "Transferred"
        {
            Complete-BitsTransfer -BitsJob $job
        }

"Error"
        {
            Write-Host "An error occured while downloading. Please restart the script" -ForegroundColor Red
            $job | Format-List
            $job | Remove-BitsTransfer
        }

{
            Write-Host "Something is wrong... Restart the script" -ForegroundColor Red
            $job | Remove-BitsTransfer
        }
    }
}

$twl = Start-BitsTransfer -Priority High -TransferType Download -Source http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000202/0000000B -Destination twl.bin -DisplayName "twl" -Asynchronous
Wait-BitsAsyncComplete -job $twl

$agb = Start-BitsTransfer -Priority High -TransferType Download -Source http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000102/00000016 -Destination agb.bin -DisplayName "agb" -Asynchronous
Wait-BitsAsyncComplete -job $agb

$firm = Start-BitsTransfer -Priority High -TransferType Download -Source http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000002/00000049 -Destination firm.bin -DisplayName "firm" -Asynchronous
Wait-BitsAsyncComplete -job $firm

if((Test-Path .\twl.bin) -and (Test-Path .\agb.bin) -and (Test-Path .\firm.bin))
{
    Write-Host "Download finished successful :)" -ForegroundColor Green
    Write-Host "Concatenating now:"
    cmd /c copy ".\firm.bin" /b + ".\twl.bin" /b + ".\agb.bin" /b ".\firmware.bin"
    Remove-Item .\twl.bin,.\agb.bin,.\firm.bin

Write-Host ""
    Write-Host "Here are some hashes:"

Get-FileHash .\firmware.bin -Algorithm SHA1
    Get-FileHash .\firmware.bin -Algorithm MD5
}
else
{
    Write-Host "Download failed. Restart the script" -ForegroundColor Red
}

wahts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Guys i have a big problem cant get it to work everytime i get a blackscreen on menuhax 2.1 if i try to start sysupdater.
On browserhax it starts sysupdater but i get always Failed to get Cia file info!
Does somone has a solution?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!