Homebrew RELEASE MissionControl: Use controllers from other consoles natively via Bluetooth

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well thank you for the response, I'm going to get an official wireless X360 controller with a PC adapter at $17 that also works with Syscon, I already have one but I don't have the adapter so I can use both on Switch or PC, not that it matters to you all that much.
I actually own a Ring Fit, the left Joycon shows as a single vertical controller and the right Joycon shows as a horizontal controller on the Switch menu, the Ringfit ring on the place where you connect the right joy-con has a chip and a flex sensor inside the plastic rail, it uses extra hardware in there to see how much stretching and bending you are doing to it, the right Joycon by itself couldn't detect that. I don't think that's something that could be implemented via Mission Control at all in my opinion.
Probably smart if you need a controller in the immediate future. There's pretty much zero chance of anything LE related being released in the next couple of months at the very least.

Thanks for the info on the ringfit control. Sounds to me like it is just seeing the controllers as joycons, but is maybe using one of the extended reporting formats used for things like IR, NFC etc to receive additional data from the ring's sensors. This could of course be faked in response user input such as a button press or something, but I'm not sure if that could really work as a decent substitute. This also becomes more complicated if the controllers just appear as joycons, as we don't want to mess with inputs for regular controllers like that.

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Maybe he has one of the older ones (not bluetooth) ?
This is why I asked about the behaviour. It's possible there's some issue causing a second controller to be disconnected, but I'd guess it's more likely the second controller just won't connect at all because it''s either an older non-bluetooth one like you say, an Xbox Series X/S controller or and Xbox One controller that has been updated to the new firmware.

Reactions: Amirgh

Amirgh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never heard of this before, can you describe the behaviour? What happens when he tries to connect the second controller?
I'm asking him more details but I know that controllers can be connected Individually but for same time usage; second controller can not be pairing.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Is DS4 support motion control, i cant seem to get it working, the rumble works, but motion controls arent
This is not "help" excactly as it is entirely different solution from Mission Control, and neither free, but 8bitdo USB Wireless Adapter (2) are able to use DS4/5 motion controls for switch, though the hardware dongle makes it unfeasable for tabletop gameplay.

For question of my own: How possible is it to make Wii U pro controller's power button an actual button when paired to switch through mission control? I can understand if it is a button that works in special ways and is not addressable through normal input read, but if it can be read, it would be nice if it could function as a screenshot button, kinda like 8bitdo N30 doubles it's power and sync buttons as home and screenshot buttons in switch mode. Though like said, I can understand if that button is "off limits"

Also big thanks for making this, along sys-con this expands switch tremendously, and after selling my switch pro controller this tool has helped me by making Wii U pro controller "native" with my switch and is a joy to use with most games.

Reactions: almmiron

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is not "help" excactly as it is entirely different solution from Mission Control, and neither free, but 8bitdo USB Wireless Adapter (2) are able to use DS4/5 motion controls for switch, though the hardware dongle makes it unfeasable for tabletop gameplay.
Motion controls for DS4 are mostly figured out now. Dualsense is likely to be similar. Just needs a little more work and code cleanup and it will be ready for release.
For question of my own: How possible is it to make Wii U pro controller's power button an actual button when paired to switch through mission control? I can understand if it is a button that works in special ways and is not addressable through normal input read, but if it can be read, it would be nice if it could function as a screenshot button, kinda like 8bitdo N30 doubles it's power and sync buttons as home and screenshot buttons in switch mode. Though like said, I can understand if that button is "off limits"
Not possible. Much like the sync button on the official Switch controllers, the power button is special-purpose only. Via bluetooth inputs are "pushed" to the console rather than read, and the power button state doesn't get included in these input reports. It can only be used to wake the WiiU console, and power the controller on/off. If a way to use the capture button is what you're after, there's a button combo for that (see the last paragraph under https://github.com/ndeadly/MissionControl#usage)

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
what is the best way to update mission control and switch firmware / atmosphere. I ran into exceptions in the past.
Just grab the latest releases from github, reboot into hekate and drop them onto your SD card via hekate UMS and boot back into HOS. If there's a new firmware update to install, do it after this first step to make sure atmosphere has support for the new firmware. You will only run into problems if one or both of the projects hasn't yet been updated to support the new firmware. Atmosphere updates are typically released within hours of a new firmware, and I try to get mine up as soon as I can after that. Usually no longer than a few days.

blaww

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was interested in using this fork of Mission Control for Skyward Sword HD by Banz99 to try out the reverse and toggle L buttons, but I'm stuck at Switch logo during boot and I assume it's my firmware/AMS version (13.1 and 1.2.2 respectively). If so, would it be much work to make it compatible with newer firmware, or can this functionality be replicated with the current version of Mission Control? I couldn't find a way to ask Banz99 directly. Thanks!

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I was interested in using this fork of Mission Control for Skyward Sword HD by Banz99 to try out the reverse and toggle L buttons, but I'm stuck at Switch logo during boot and I assume it's my firmware/AMS version (13.1 and 1.2.2 respectively). If so, would it be much work to make it compatible with newer firmware, or can this functionality be replicated with the current version of Mission Control? I couldn't find a way to ask Banz99 directly. Thanks!
Check the releases again, I just asked him to update it ;)

Reactions: bbert and blaww

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am not seeing reports of 0.6.4 being broken on AMS 1.3.0/FW 14.0.0, yet at least... can anyone confirm whether it still works, or if it requires an update?

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I am not seeing reports of 0.6.4 being broken on AMS 1.3.0/FW 14.0.0, yet at least... can anyone confirm whether it still works, or if it requires an update?
Yes, it will be broken. Major firmware updates will always require an update to sysmodules that rely on libstratosphere. This is by design.

VDDZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two generic WiiU Pro controllers that don't pair, not even with a red icon. Before this amazing hb came out, I got that magic s pro dongle that works fine with the generic controllers. When this hb first got started, I remember there being a process of attempting to pair, then uploading a file that the hb generated, then compatibility could be added or ruled out.

Does this process still exist? Or is it that if no red icon appears during the pairing, the switch and controller are not able to ever pair?

ndeadly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have two generic WiiU Pro controllers that don't pair, not even with a red icon. Before this amazing hb came out, I got that magic s pro dongle that works fine with the generic controllers. When this hb first got started, I remember there being a process of attempting to pair, then uploading a file that the hb generated, then compatibility could be added or ruled out.

Does this process still exist? Or is it that if no red icon appears during the pairing, the switch and controller are not able to ever pair?
If a controller doesn't show up at all, this means it wasn't able to successfully pair, yeah.

The process you're referring to was simply a debug build of mission control with some logging included to try and get some information about what was going on. I don't include this stuff in the release builds as it generates too much overhead and usually requires detailed logging specific to the problem anyway. In my experience, whenever I gave such a build to someone with a generic WiiU Pto controller the result was always the same - nothing in the log to indicate even any failed attempt at pairing. That's not to say that some form of communication with the console wasn't happening at some lower levels of the bluetooth stack, but nothing that I am able to log at the application level. The only way to debug such a problem would be to attach a debugger and physically debug the process on-console while trying to pair the controller. Even if the problem could be identified it could only be (potentially) remedied via patching the bluetooth service. Such patches would need to be maintained with every firmware update, and the root cause of the failures may even vary between different generic controllers, requiring multiple different patches. In other words, it's potentially a lot of work if solveable at all, and cannot really realistically be achieved without physical access to such a device.

Reactions: VDDZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?