Missed opportunity by Nintendo for the 3DS and Wii-U

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by DeadlyFoez, Jun 12, 2012.

?

Would you like to use a 3DS as an optional Wii Tablet controller?

1. Yes, I would like Nintendo's systems to be able to work together

71 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. No, keep the systems seperate

13 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. It does not matter to me

26 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. DeadlyFoez
    OP

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    I was rather bummed that the 3DS did not have bluetooth. I think it would have been a great capitalization selling point for existing 3DS owners to be able to use their 3DS as a tablet/contoller for the Wii-U. Too bad the 3DS does not have bluetooth, so the Wi-fi connections is the only option for something like that, and I HIGHLY doubt that will happen.

Either way, I think Nintendo missed a great opportunity with inter-compatibility with the 3DS and the Wii-U. Of course that would make more work for the game programmers to make sure that their shovelware is more compatible with many many controller types, but I think that it would have been worth the effort.

What do you think? Would that be a great selling point to you?

Please vote in the poll.

1 person likes this.

2. pwsincd

Member pwsincd Garage Flower

United Kingdom
    I forget what exactly the connection method was , but didnt the wii and ds have some method of connectivity albeit limited in whatever capacity it was maybe multiplayer on some game or other. Didnt they mention something along these lines at one of the E3 conferences... i totally agree with you though , seems like an obvious think to incorporate , less of course you want people to go buy more new gamepads and increase your revenue.

i suppose if they feel like it , if they ever release a 3ds with dual sticks rather than the naff addon , then they could add the facily then , or even release a bt module in a flashcart...

3. Centrix

Member Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

United States
    Well I think they did a good job and in all honesty most people will say they stole the show just because they came and took care of business though one could argue that Microsoft and Sony both had a better showing! Personally I think its all based on opinion, I don't see an Academy awards show for best E3 lol :P No I don't think they missed there chance to really show what for with the 3DS and WII U and honestly if rumors turn out to be true about the 249;99 price point I think Sony and Microsoft will need to do something fast since allot or most of the games on 360 and PS3 will be heading to Wii U and will be superior in every way!

4. pwsincd

Member pwsincd Garage Flower

United Kingdom
    i think you missed the point .

5. Geren

Member Geren GBAtemp Regular

El Salvador
    I honestly expected more intercompatibility with the 3ds-WiiU. Sad to see the first informations that deters it.

I mean, In the gamecube I played Crystal Chronicles, Pokemon XD/Collosseum, Wind Waker, Four Swords.... I enjoyed a lot the uses of the gameboy in those games (even if it was minimal in WW, but still, it was some sort of multiplayer in zelda!)

In the wii, the only games I know that used the ds were Pokemon Battle Revolution and a wiiware wario ware. Really a pity.

EDIT: Then, let's look at the cross-play in the vita. For me it seems like sony is doing what nintendo should have done (and it seems it won't do)

6. Centrix

Member Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

United States
    I don't think i missed the point at all and was just stating my thoughts :P

7. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I really don't care. It would be nice, but at the same time I don't see how would have been a major selling point for the system.

8. lokomelo

Member lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    This kind of integration would put a limit on WiiU Pad specs I think. Let's keep it separated then

9. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    The 3DS just wouldn't make a very nice controller.

The only reason the Vita and PS3 are so connectable is because the Vita has a fantastic layout and screen so things would work out a hell of a lot better.

10. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    I don't see a voting option for scoring any of the drugs that you're on? The 3DS makes as much sense as a controller for the Wii U as the chair that I'm sitting on now does.

Bluetooth certainly isn't going to change anything.

11. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Is it a Butt Pad Pro? :creep:

The 3DS with the CPP could act as a mini GamePad, not as the primary controller, but as an option for other players in local multiplayer. It has dual analog sticks, most of the keys, tilt sensor / gyro, and the touchscreen (albeit a tiny one). It wouldn't be able to stream video to it but it could display some info using pre-downloaded graphics and code.

That being said, it would have taken strong integration from the get-go to get such a concept aloft, not being tacked on as an afterthought that developers would most likely ignore as a serious option (but shove into shovelware because it's nifty).

12. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    :tpi:

10/10, would click again!

13. DeadlyFoez
    OP

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Well, the drugs I do have nothing to do with Nintendo, the Wii-U, or the 3DS. And no need for voting options because I will just tell you. Reefer and Rum.
    My point exactly.

14. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    I don't see it happening as the 3DS doesn't support 60fps ni-fi unlike the U gamepad.

15. Geren

Member Geren GBAtemp Regular

El Salvador
    The hint we have for now, lies in the smash bros series, since it will have a 3ds and wiiU versions:

I would find illogical to work on a character on the 3ds, and not use the system as a controller in the console version, given how you developed said character with a control scheme. But who knows.

16. 10_0ARMY

Member 10_0ARMY THE *Original* 1 Man Army

United States
    I would love to see inter-console play with the 3DS and WiiU, like the Vita and PS3, but using the 3DS as a controller doesn't really make sense.

1 person likes this.
  17. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    When the WiiU was first announced at E3 I knew right away that subbing the tablet would not be possible.

But there might be a chance that button input will be possible. I'd like to control SSB for the WiiU using a 3ds as a controller.

18. DeadlyFoez
    OP

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    In case you didn't notice, the 3DS is a controller.

2 people like this.
  19. 1c3_5n0w

Newcomer 1c3_5n0w Newbie

Singapore
    How is it one?

20. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    The controls are a part of the system, and because they the controls are connected to the system and they control the system, the system is a controller.

1 person likes this.