Hardware Missed opportunity by Nintendo for the 3DS and Wii-U

Would you like to use a 3DS as an optional Wii Tablet controller?

• Yes, I would like Nintendo's systems to be able to work together

Votes: 71 64.5%
  • No, keep the systems seperate

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • It does not matter to me

Votes: 26 23.6%

• Total voters

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I was rather bummed that the 3DS did not have bluetooth. I think it would have been a great capitalization selling point for existing 3DS owners to be able to use their 3DS as a tablet/contoller for the Wii-U. Too bad the 3DS does not have bluetooth, so the Wi-fi connections is the only option for something like that, and I HIGHLY doubt that will happen.

Either way, I think Nintendo missed a great opportunity with inter-compatibility with the 3DS and the Wii-U. Of course that would make more work for the game programmers to make sure that their shovelware is more compatible with many many controller types, but I think that it would have been worth the effort.

What do you think? Would that be a great selling point to you?

Please vote in the poll.

Reactions: 1 person

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
I forget what exactly the connection method was , but didnt the wii and ds have some method of connectivity albeit limited in whatever capacity it was maybe multiplayer on some game or other. Didnt they mention something along these lines at one of the E3 conferences... i totally agree with you though , seems like an obvious think to incorporate , less of course you want people to go buy more new gamepads and increase your revenue.

i suppose if they feel like it , if they ever release a 3ds with dual sticks rather than the naff addon , then they could add the facily then , or even release a bt module in a flashcart...

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I think they did a good job and in all honesty most people will say they stole the show just because they came and took care of business though one could argue that Microsoft and Sony both had a better showing! Personally I think its all based on opinion, I don't see an Academy awards show for best E3 lol :P No I don't think they missed there chance to really show what for with the 3DS and WII U and honestly if rumors turn out to be true about the 249;99 price point I think Sony and Microsoft will need to do something fast since allot or most of the games on 360 and PS3 will be heading to Wii U and will be superior in every way!

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Well I think they did a good job and in all honesty most people will say they stole the show just because they came and took care of business though one could argue that Microsoft and Sony both had a better showing! Personally I think its all based on opinion, I don't see an Academy awards show for best E3 lol :P No I don't think they missed there chance to really show what for with the 3DS and WII U and honestly if rumors turn out to be true about the 249;99 price point I think Sony and Microsoft will need to do something fast since allot or most of the games on 360 and PS3 will be heading to Wii U and will be superior in every way!
i think you missed the point .

Geren

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Spain
I honestly expected more intercompatibility with the 3ds-WiiU. Sad to see the first informations that deters it.

I mean, In the gamecube I played Crystal Chronicles, Pokemon XD/Collosseum, Wind Waker, Four Swords.... I enjoyed a lot the uses of the gameboy in those games (even if it was minimal in WW, but still, it was some sort of multiplayer in zelda!)

In the wii, the only games I know that used the ds were Pokemon Battle Revolution and a wiiware wario ware. Really a pity.

EDIT: Then, let's look at the cross-play in the vita. For me it seems like sony is doing what nintendo should have done (and it seems it won't do)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The 3DS just wouldn't make a very nice controller.

The only reason the Vita and PS3 are so connectable is because the Vita has a fantastic layout and screen so things would work out a hell of a lot better.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was rather bummed that the 3DS did not have bluetooth. I think it would have been a great capitalization selling point for existing 3DS owners to be able to use their 3DS as a tablet/contoller for the Wii-U.

I don't see a voting option for scoring any of the drugs that you're on? The 3DS makes as much sense as a controller for the Wii U as the chair that I'm sitting on now does.

Bluetooth certainly isn't going to change anything.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The 3DS makes as much sense as a controller for the Wii U as the chair that I'm sitting on now does.

Is it a Butt Pad Pro? :creep:

The 3DS with the CPP could act as a mini GamePad, not as the primary controller, but as an option for other players in local multiplayer. It has dual analog sticks, most of the keys, tilt sensor / gyro, and the touchscreen (albeit a tiny one). It wouldn't be able to stream video to it but it could display some info using pre-downloaded graphics and code.

That being said, it would have taken strong integration from the get-go to get such a concept aloft, not being tacked on as an afterthought that developers would most likely ignore as a serious option (but shove into shovelware because it's nifty).

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I don't see a voting option for scoring any of the drugs that you're on?
Well, the drugs I do have nothing to do with Nintendo, the Wii-U, or the 3DS. And no need for voting options because I will just tell you. Reefer and Rum.
EDIT: Then, let's look at the cross-play in the vita. For me it seems like sony is doing what nintendo should have done (and it seems it won't do)
My point exactly.

Geren

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Spain
The hint we have for now, lies in the smash bros series, since it will have a 3ds and wiiU versions:

The upgraded character can be ported to the Wii U version to be used in battle

I would find illogical to work on a character on the 3ds, and not use the system as a controller in the console version, given how you developed said character with a control scheme. But who knows.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the WiiU was first announced at E3 I knew right away that subbing the tablet would not be possible.

But there might be a chance that button input will be possible. I'd like to control SSB for the WiiU using a 3ds as a controller.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou