reaperdamonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
smealum said:
Anyway, I'm pretty much done with the lighting engine; I'll might still have to adjust the levels of light inside caves or at night and such but right now everything works.
biggrin.gif
I spent most of yesterday optimizing my engine for both speed and space; I do still have to try to optimize some stuff, but everything is running smoother already.
wink.gif

Also, I added actual torches !
torch.png

The lighting looks great! And I love the name, DSCraft,very catchy!

smealum, will you marry me?

*whisper* Just don't tell my fianceé! =S

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
smealum said:
Those are quite nice and actually entirely possible to do; to make the menu I'll probably be reusing the engine I'd made for two of my previous games, and it actually supports dual screen 3D so that's entirely possible !
biggrin.gif
I especially like the idea of having the DScraft up there with the clouds and also having the day/night cycle going on.
smile.gif
I have to warn you though, if I do make such a menu, it's not going to be before a while.

Dual screen 3D would be awesome, and is it possible to make the clouds move? Just so that it doesn't feel like a 2D image....but even so, it has to be on a way that the clouds don't cover the name when they move, because both name and clouds are white
huh.gif

Have you noticed something that can possibly overload the engine? Like, for example, too many torches in a single spot (because of lighting). Or something that can drop the framerate?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry about the bold, that was an accident. What I'm trying to say, like Smealum said, you're getting a bit too excited; and as a result there's hundreds of ideas filling the pages of this thread which are not relevant at this point of the project and don't need to be considered until later on (i.e. Smealum has only just finished optimizing the engine, I highly doubt his highest priority now is to get multiplayer features going or an active main menu). On the other hand, ideas such as DEElekgolo's sunset/rise are more relevant and as a result have been implemented.
I'm not saying everyone's ideas are crap, I'm simply saying that they need to be conserved until later when Smealum has the essentials sorted.

OT: Those torches are great, I can't really tell from the pic but are they using smooth lighting? If so, isn't that quite a resource hog on the DS? Also, how many torches can you place until the game crashes?
unsure.gif

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
Wizerzak said:
Sorry about the bold, that was an accident. What I'm trying to say, like Smealum said, you're getting a bit too excited; and as a result there's hundreds of ideas filling the pages of this thread which are not relevant at this point of the project and don't need to be considered until later on (i.e. Smealum has only just finished optimizing the engine, I highly doubt his highest priority now is to get multiplayer features going or an active main menu). On the other hand, ideas such as DEElekgolo's sunset/rise are more relevant and as a result have been implemented.
I'm not saying everyone's ideas are crap, I'm simply saying that they need to be conserved until later when Smealum has the essentials sorted.

OT: Those torches are great, I can't really tell from the pic but are they using smooth lighting? If so, isn't that quite a resource hog on the DS? Also, how many torches can you place until the game crashes?
unsure.gif

Yeah, but you know, repeating questions is also not relevant for this topic....i'm just saying....

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
This is just a small thing...but does the flame on the torch move? It is still awsome if it doesn't.
tongue.gif

smealum said:
Also, just wanted to say that I've been hard at work on optimizing my engine and I think I finally got everything I could out of it, so I should soon start focusing on improving the stuff I just started like saving, the bottom screen interface etc.
smile.gif

You should give the engine a name
biggrin.gif
Your doing things I really thought a DS couldn't handle! Like dynamic lights, and huge maps.

Nathan Drake said:
QUOTE(DEElekgolo @ Jul 30 2011, 04:52 PM) Just a suggestion. How about using a real-time clock?
So if it is day irl then its day in the game. If its night then its night in-game.

Ew. I would hate for it to be dark for 9 hours a time (possibly more).
Well..maybe smealum could add options to set the dawn/dusk times in options menu? But that is planning a bit far ahead again.
tongue.gif

I know everyone is asking...but...would you say you would have a release around next weekend?
smile.gif

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think the height of the players view will remain as is? Original MC seems to put the players view about half a block higher, which also means you can't crawl through single block openings. I've been messing around with DSCraft's fly mode to get an idea of what that sort of height would feel like, and I can see no obvious downside.

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
BreafingBread said:
lucasade said:
biggrin.gif
Your doing things I really thought a DS couldn't handle! Like dynamic lights, and huge maps.

Like this.

2nvcymx.png

Perfect!
laugh.gif
maybe DSource as in DS Source aswell...but Sourcelum is better i guess cuz it targets smealum directly
smile.gif

QUOTE(Sir_Voe @ Jul 31 2011, 06:06 PM)
Do you think the height of the players view will remain as is? Original MC seems to put the players view about half a block higher, which also means you can't crawl through single block openings. I've been messing around with DSCraft's fly mode to get an idea of what that sort of height would feel like, and I can see no obvious downside.
I think the player height is already around 1.5 blocks high. Notice how if you try to go through a tunnel 1 block high, you can see through the roof.
tongue.gif

BreafingBread

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
lucasade said:
BreafingBread said:
lucasade said:
biggrin.gif

Like this.

2nvcymx.png
Perfect!
laugh.gif
maybe DSource as in DS Source aswell...but Sourcelum is better i guess cuz it targets smealum directly
smile.gif

2mo2dn5.png

The intro of the game.

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
BreafingBread said:
lucasade said:
BreafingBread said:
lucasade said:
biggrin.gif

Like this.

2nvcymx.png
Perfect!
laugh.gif
smile.gif

ndpwet.png

The intro of the game.
laugh.gif
perfect again. I wonder if smealum will use this?
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oh! Finishing touch! An earth brick where the 2 would be in the Half Life 2 Logo
biggrin.gif

BreafingBread

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
lucasade said:
EDIT: Oh! Finishing touch! An earth brick where the 2 would be in the Half Life 2 Logo
biggrin.gif

Uptaded version. Put copyrights to valvE, and adjusted the date since we are not in 2009, and the block of grass was added(but it's very bad), If Smealum use it, ask for Bmc to create a better, he's very good at photoshop.

EDIT: Forgot the link.

2wqe4iv.png

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
BreafingBread said:
lucasade said:
biggrin.gif

Uptaded version. Put copyrights to valvE, and adjusted the date since we are not in 2009, and the block of grass was added(but it's very bad), If Smealum use it, ask for Bmc to create a better, he's very good at photoshop.

2wqe4iv.png
Its still awsome though
smile.gif
I see Bmcs looking at the forum...watcha think? Could you remaster it if Smealum wants to use it? BreafingBread still has done quite a good job.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
lucasade said:
BreafingBread said:
lucasade said:
biggrin.gif

2wqe4iv.png
Its still awsome though
smile.gif
I see Bmcs looking at the forum...watcha think? Could you remaster it if Smealum wants to use it? BreafingBread still has done quite a good job.
Since my computer can barely support Minecraft, I am probably going to try this when it is finished. One thing I don't get is Minecraft is still in beta version, so if it updates again, will you just update as well, or not? You don't have to, just a question.

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
RoyalCardMan said:
Since my computer can barely support Minecraft, I am probably going to try this when it is finished. One thing I don't get is Minecraft is still in beta version, so if it updates again, will you just update as well, or not? You don't have to, just a question.
I guess it depends on 2 things:
1. If smealum wants to
tongue.gif

2. What the update included.

BreafingBread

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
lucasade said:
RoyalCardMan said:
1. If smealum wants to
tongue.gif

If he does all the way to beta he could do like this: Every time it has a update he send a patch by his website(or the forum) that we run by the Minecraft and that way it updates, don't know if it's hard or not.

Also, if Smealum go all the way to beta, i think the game will be complete till he does the beta.

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
BreafingBread said:
lucasade said:
RoyalCardMan said:
1. If smealum wants to
tongue.gif

If he does all the way to beta he could do like this: Every time it has a update he send a patch by his website(or the forum) that we run by the Minecraft and that way it updates, don't know if it's hard or not.

Also, if Smealum go all the way to beta, i think the game will be complete till he does the beta.
Oh..Sorry RoyalCardMan, i thought you meant if THE minecraft updates, will any new features be added to DSCraft.
I back up BreafingBread's answer
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Poor and jaundiced is he!