Homebrew Minecraft DS (in 3D !)

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
Smealum, I was thinking (logically, not scripting) of some ways you could save the game:
You could make the game write a changelog every time you modify a brick, and once you hit a 'save' or 'exit'(to menu) button, it would write the changes to the testmap.map file.
OR, if it is not Ram-savvy, you could dynamically write to the testmap.map file every time a brick is modified.
Just ideas. I'm kind of bored right now so I felt like posting something.
tongue.gif

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
lucasade said:
They all look great
biggrin.gif

It would be cool if Smealum made, say, 2 of those - A day and a night one - cycle as the background. Then it would be less boring as it gets older.
smile.gif

Something like this? (The dusk and night images are awful, they will however look much better if i had used real in game images...)

Day:

Dusk:

Night:

BreafingBread

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Bmcs said:
lucasade said:
They all look great
biggrin.gif

It would be cool if Smealum made, say, 2 of those - A day and a night one - cycle as the background. Then it would be less boring as it gets older.
smile.gif

Something like this? (The dusk and night images are awful, they will however look much better if i had used real in game images...)

Day:

Dusk:

Night:

Nice.

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
BreafingBread said:
Bmcs said:
lucasade said:
They all look great
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Day:

Dusk:

Night:

Nice.
Seconded
biggrin.gif
Again, exactly what I tried to describe.
smile.gif

What version of DSCraft are you using though? Dusk isnt brown on mine, and I have 280711.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys, you are jumping way too far ahead. It's Smealum's project and it seems to me like everyone is too eager to do it for him. Just calm down and wait, I'm sure Smealum is more than capable of doing this and, if he does happen to get stuck on something, then I'm sure he'll ask Google or post on here for ideas.

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
lucasade said:
Seconded
biggrin.gif
Again, exactly what I tried to describe.
smile.gif

What version of DSCraft are you using though? Dusk isnt brown on mine, and I have 280711.

I made all of that with photoshop, i just used the "day" image as a source and then changed the colors of the sky and everything...so, that's why i said they are awful.

QUOTE(Wizerzak @ Jul 30 2011, 07:44 PM) Guys, you are jumping way too far ahead. It's Smealum's project and it seems to me like everyone is too eager to do it for him. Just calm down and wait, I'm sure Smealum is more than capable of doing this and, if he does happen to get stuck on something, then I'm sure he'll ask Google or post on here for ideas.

Calm down, we all know that...

Besides, smealum as no probem at all on saying his thoughts...we're not taking anything away. We're just giving some ideas for the design of the menus...i repeat, ideas, we just want to help.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wizerzak said:
Guys, you are jumping way too far ahead. It's Smealum's project and it seems to me like everyone is too eager to do it for him. Just calm down and wait, I'm sure Smealum is more than capable of doing this and, if he does happen to get stuck on something, then I'm sure he'll ask Google or post on here for ideas.
Geez, calm down, no need to go bold crazy, that's just as bad as posting in all caps.

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
Wizerzak said:
Like you said, its Smealum's project, and if he has a problem with us, I am sure he can tell us.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lucasade said:
Wizerzak said:
Like you said, its Smealum's project, and if he has a problem with us, I am sure he can tell us.
Joined 5 days ago, only has 26 posts and is rational? Congrats.

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
machomuu said:
lucasade said:
Wizerzak said:
Thank you!
smile.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lucasade said:
machomuu said:
lucasade said:
Wizerzak said:
Um...thank you
smile.gif

*pisst!...what does 'rational' mean?
tongue.gif
Basically I'm saying it's rare to see a newcomer who knows what he's talking about.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, please just calm down, there's no reason to get so excited.
tongue.gif

dorian7890 said:
Anyway this is looking like quite a project and i wish you good luck and if the name isn't official yet, how does CrafteDS sound?
Thanks.
smile.gif
Well actually I'm thinking I'll be going with DScraft, which isn't too different.
tongue.gif

Bmcs said:
lucasade said:
They all look great
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Day:

Dusk:

Night:
Those are quite nice and actually entirely possible to do; to make the menu I'll probably be reusing the engine I'd made for two of my previous games, and it actually supports dual screen 3D so that's entirely possible !
biggrin.gif
I especially like the idea of having the DScraft up there with the clouds and also having the day/night cycle going on.
smile.gif
I have to warn you though, if I do make such a menu, it's not going to be before a while.

QUOTE(lucasade @ Jul 30 2011, 05:14 PM)
Smealum, I was thinking (logically, not scripting) of some ways you could save the game:
You could make the game write a changelog every time you modify a brick, and once you hit a 'save' or 'exit'(to menu) button, it would write the changes to the testmap.map file.
OR, if it is not Ram-savvy, you could dynamically write to the testmap.map file every time a brick is modified.
Just ideas. I'm kind of bored right now so I felt like posting something.
tongue.gif
Well you're first suggestion is basically what I'm doing right now and what I plan on continuing to use.
smile.gif

The second possibility does sound more appealing on paper, however due to technical limitations which I'm not eager to get into right now it doesn't seem like the best way to go.

Anyway, I'm pretty much done with the lighting engine; I'll might still have to adjust the levels of light inside caves or at night and such but right now everything works.
biggrin.gif
I spent most of yesterday optimizing my engine for both speed and space; I do still have to try to optimize some stuff, but everything is running smoother already.
wink.gif

Also, I added actual torches !
torch.png

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
DEElekgolo said:
Just a suggestion. How about using a real-time clock?
So if it is day irl then its day in the game. If its night then its night in-game.

Ew. I would hate for it to be dark for 9 hours a time (possibly more).

BreafingBread

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
DEElekgolo said:
So if it is day irl then its day in the game. If its night then its night in-game.

I didn't like, but that idea could apply in the main menu, if it's day, then the menu will be day, if it's night then the menu will be night.

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
BreafingBread said:
DEElekgolo said:

I didn't like, but that idea could apply in the main menu, if it's day, then the menu will be day, if it's night then the menu will be night.
That would be awsome
smile.gif
the main menu is going to be like Valves source engine ones! XD
But lets let smealum finish testing his current stuff. Cant wait for next release!
biggrin.gif

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
DEElekgolo said:
Eh, as the others said it might not be too great an idea for in game. (although afterall in classic mode day/night doesn't really have any incidence, so I could make it an option)
Having that in the menu by default could be cool though.
biggrin.gif

Also DEElekgolo, I reprogrammed the dawn/dusk effect to use your idea and it does indeed look much better ! (plus it saves me VRAM, so it's win-win heh) Unfortunately you might not be able to tell from this screenshot, but just trust me, it does.
tongue.gif

dawnruins.png

Also, just wanted to say that I've been hard at work on optimizing my engine and I think I finally got everything I could out of it, so I should soon start focusing on improving the stuff I just started like saving, the bottom screen interface etc.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +2