growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Whoah, everyone just calm down, there's no reason to argue like this ! I'll try to make this quick because I don't like to get involved in stuff like that but you guys are kind of wreaking havoc in my thread so I guess I should step in.
tongue.gif

1. I don't think there's a need to name the game's engine. As BassAceGold said, this isn't some sort of all-use engine, it was written specifically for DScraft and it probably couldn't be used in any other game, so naming it seems like a bit of a waste really.
2. People who said that this kind of stuff doesn't take any time away from actual game development are right, it's not like I'm actively participating in the discussions... So yeah, if you have ideas and want to share them, this topic is the right place to do so, just try not to fight from now on !
tongue.gif

3. I think I can't say it enough, please don't get over-excited or expect too much ! I am rather proud of what I've achieved, but again, this is going to be quite limited, so don't be all disappointed when it finally gets released...

eld said:
It's shaping up quite good smealum!
Thanks.
biggrin.gif
I really like your textures, I'm glad you're letting me use them. Your work is very impressive.
smile.gif

Anyway, dev status time. I'm almost done with the saving; spent the most part of my night optimizing some stupid routine so that loading torches could be done smoothly (it's not the actual loading that's slow, rather the light calculations that come with it). So I still have a couple of bugs to iron out (like... the game crashing when I try to remove certain torches
tongue.gif
), but I'm almost there !
Once that's done I think I'll try to make a better bottom screen interface. Any suggestions on what should be down there ? Basically, what I'm thinking so far :
- item bar (like 9 icons to select a block/item)
- button(s) to switch between placing and removing blocks
- save button
- button to access inventory (will be useful even in classic since there are more blocks then can fit in the item bar)
- probably some "zoomed" version of the selected block somwhere since they're so small
- a compass ? (I think it'd be neat AND useful; I know minecraft lets you craft those, but since this is Classic version for now you won't be able to craft them)
- a clock, or at least some indicator of what time it is (same thing) (also, I have an idea of what it could look like so that it could be nicer then a regular clock, but... not sure how to describe it
tongue.gif
)

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
smealum said:
Once that's done I think I'll try to make a better bottom screen interface. Any suggestions on what should be down there ? Basically, what I'm thinking so far :
- save button
- button to access inventory (will be useful even in classic since there are more blocks then can fit in the item bar)
- probably some "zoomed" version of the selected block somwhere since they're so small
- a compass ? (I think it'd be neat AND useful; I know minecraft lets you craft those, but since this is Classic version for now you won't be able to craft them)
- a clock, or at least some indicator of what time it is (same thing) (also, I have an idea of what it could look like so that it could be nicer then a regular clock, but... not sure how to describe it
tongue.gif
)

Now, here's something we can help....and look, smealum is asking for help, so, please stop the fight and let's help him...ok?

jjbeest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
how about tnt i think tnt is one of the most fun things in minecraft so is it going to be with redstone or just click

DroRox

Ambassador of Ooo
Trophies
Website
www.trifuck.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
smealum said:
- save button
tongue.gif
)

It sounds awesome. Maybe make a separate combination screen/inventory. Just leave the traveling essentials in view? Like the compass and time and the save button.
Homebrew and games with crowded touch screens get annoying. *cough* MetroidPrime *cough*.

That's my reccomendation.
biggrin.gif

jjbeest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
at the bottom corner of the lowerscreen you could make a drop item button or something like that
and you could make night a little bit like in pokemon that you can stil see everything but than a little bit darker

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
jjbeest said:
how about tnt i think tnt is one of the most fun things in minecraft so is it going to be with redstone or just click

It may be fun in the PC version, but i suppose that in the DS, the explosions will consume a lot of resources.....

QUOTE(kelvinzz1 @ Aug 1 2011, 09:58 AM) yeah maybe then you find caves or something
tongue.gif

and how about pickaxes or shovels?

That's stuff from adventure mode, for now, smealum is only working on classic version...

jjbeest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bmcs said:
jjbeest said:

It may be fun in the PC version, but i suppose that in the DS, the explosions will consume a lot of resources.....

QUOTE(kelvinzz1 @ Aug 1 2011, 09:58 AM) yeah maybe then you find caves or something
tongue.gif

and how about pickaxes or shovels?

That's stuff from adventure mode, for now, smealum is only working on classic version...
we also tought that minecraft for the ds was impossible

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Bmcs said:
jjbeest said:

Seriously, my computer freaked out when I tried laying 20 things of TNT and igniting a chain. I would probably manage to crash my DS to oblivion doing something like that.

Ultralex

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
smealum said:
tongue.gif
)
There is already a clock in Minecraft
Watch.png

Clock (minecraft Wiki)
Why don't you just use the clock from the texture pack you've got.
Or do you mean REal-Life time and not ingame?

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
So, i made this image for a possible bottom screen interface...

FIrst of all, the size of the image is the same size as the DS screen, and i used Eld's Pack (apart from the clock and compass). I made this following the list that smealum did, and i was able to fit everything that he spoke about, but there's a problem, as you can see, there's a lot of free space in there, so, there's some solutions for that:

- We can enlarge the icons, but that will make the icons too big and (in my opinion) it will look horrible

- We can fill the empty space with "eye candy stuff", like frames and stuff like that..

- Smealum can fill the space with stuff that he may be working on

About the icons, i used a Bed for "Save" and a Book for "Inventory" ...as well as a block for "Placing block" and a broken block for "Removing block". Nothing in here is good or well done, but the thing is, we need to start from something, and that's why i made this...

Let me clarify one thing, this is just me helping out, and that's only an idea...

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
Bmcs said:
So, i made this image for a possible bottom screen interface...

FIrst of all, the size of the image is the same size as the DS screen, and i used Eld's Pack (apart from the clock and compass). I made this following the list that smealum did, and i was able to fit everything that he spoke about, but there's a problem, as you can see, there's a lot of free space in there, so, there's some solutions for that:

- We can enlarge the icons, but that will make the icons too big and (in my opinion) it will look horrible

- We can fill the empty space with "eye candy stuff", like frames and stuff like that..

- Smealum can fill the space with stuff that he may be working on

About the icons, i used a Bed for "Save" and a Book for "Inventory" ...as well as a block for "Placing block" and a broken block for "Removing block". Nothing in here is good or well done, but the thing is, we need to start from something, and that's why i made this...

Let me clarify one thing, this is just me helping out, and that's only an idea...
It looks awsome! I read smealum's post on page 25 AFTER i posted this
tongue.gif

Maybe seperate interfaces for movement, mining and crafting (which has been made), 1 for other stuff like the clock and compass, and a main menu for save/load.
OOOH! I just had an idea! A screenshot browser? What do ye think smealum? would it be possible, even if it is just some little text browser that can open the images?

@Smealum: I was playing the game last night. The cave system, like you said is amazing.
biggrin.gif
There were like 4 or 5 caves that went from water level to bedrock.
But...there were 2 glitches:
1. The cave generation cuts through bedrock, leaving holes in the ground
tongue.gif

2. The caves generate to the edge of the map aswell..same result as above.

Surely it won't be too hard to fix? Just telling it not to cut through bedrock, and leave 1 row of bricks at the edges of the map should do the job.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
smealum said:
- save button
tongue.gif
)

torch.png
From what I can see of the bottom screen - I think you will definitely need a way to toggle between the inventory / crafting / item bar / saving etc.
Trying to get them all on the one screen would be to cluttered

Here's my suggestion... have different screens for different 'modes'

In the 'Classic' mode - just have the Icon bar & a larger picture with description of the selected icon (perhaps even have a 'Quick Save' button), along with the Compass/Clock as well
5997826647_0576d4ec34.jpg
In case you can't guess - the two icons lower right are meant for the Clock and Compass, couldn't be a**sed to make any proper icons up)
then have the controls set up like....
  • Use 'D-pad' to move around
    Use [ A ] to 'jump'
    Use Left/Right shoulder buttons to move left/right across Icon bar (Or also have 'touch screen' control)
    Use [ Y ] to place a block
    Use [ X ] to remove a block
    Use the [ Select ] button to show up your 'Inventory' on the lower screen (with touch screen drag-&-Drop' to move things around)
    Use the [ Start ] to bring up a new lower screen with 'Save','Load','Options' on it
The [ B ] button can be a 'Cancel'/'exit' button when in the 'Save' or 'Inventory' screen mode

EDIT: Just seen 'Bmcs' mockup, & 'lucasade' idea AFTER I was doing this post - dam it there goes my ideas....
..... Hang on
unsure.gif
QUOTE@Smealum: I was playing the game last night.
There's a Download for this ???? - or is 'lucasade' a Beta tester ??

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
lucasade said:
It looks awsome! I read smealum's post on page 25 AFTER i posted this
tongue.gif

Maybe seperate interfaces for movement, mining and crafting (which has been made), 1 for other stuff like the clock and compass, and a main menu for save/load.
OOOH! I just had an idea! A screenshot browser? What do ye think smealum? would it be possible, even if it is just some little text browser that can open the images?

We're going to use the same screen for movement, right?

jjbeest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nathan Drake said:
Bmcs said:
jjbeest said:

Seriously, my computer freaked out when I tried laying 20 things of TNT and igniting a chain. I would probably manage to crash my DS to oblivion doing something like that.
maybe you could add tnt in lower graphics so the ds doesnt crash for example make it doesnt have a detonate animation

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
CannonFoddr said:
EDIT: Just seen 'Bmcs' mockup, & 'lucasade' idea AFTER I was doing this post - dam it there goes my ideas....
..... Hang on
unsure.gif

No way, we're all in the same ship
laugh.gif

QUOTEThere's a Download for this ???? - or is 'lucasade' a Beta tester ??

Yeah, i asked myself the same question...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?