Homebrew Minecraft DS (in 3D !)

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I've been a baaaad beta tester. I need to get off my ass and play more. Maybe while I watch my movie tonight, I'll get some more done. I found one area where the rendering was just broken. It was like a rift had been torn in the map. xD

I figure it was probably just one of those pesky bugs.

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
kelvinzz1 said:
i can make videos of dscraft and postit on the website
biggrin.gif

The idea is that everyone can post and share their videos...

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Patrick1704 said:
when we can download the game?
I don't can wait any longer
frown.gif

This Game looks so very cool!!!
I found a bug where the saving sometimes doesnt work. I've noticed it as I've played and after that it froze up. No error code. Just a freeze. I was at a beach building a house when it happened. finished it. saved and it froze a bit later. started it it, found the beach and the house was only half done. also taking more than 3 screenshots crashes it.
Suggestion: Saving can also leave you in the same place as before. >_> I lost a house underground...XD

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hmm ... www.dscrafthq.ie or www.dscrafthq.com ?
unsure.gif

- & what if smealum decides to change the name ??
laugh.gif

Actually I'm not that keen on 'HQ'
- since it's gonna be a site that contains videos/maps/images (+ a bug report section) - I would've thought it'll be more like a 'Depot' than a 'HQ'

Hmm - 'www.dscraftdepot.com'... Nah.. doesn't quite sound right to me

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan said:
You can't do that, only staff can.
you'll have to do it one by one.
Ok, thanks.

QUOTE(CannonFoddr @ Aug 7 2011, 02:45 PM) Hmm ... www.dscrafthq.ie or www.dscrafthq.com ?
unsure.gif

- & what if smealum decides to change the name ??
laugh.gif

Actually I'm not that keen on 'HQ'
- since it's gonna be a site that contains videos/maps/images (+ a bug report section) - I would've thought it'll be more like a 'Depot' than a 'HQ'

Hmm - 'www.dscraftdepot.com'... Nah.. doesn't quite sound right to me
So....stick with HQ?
tongue.gif

I mean, HQ reads ok in address bar, and it basically is a HQ. I was thinking about a forum too.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
testatura said:
following this thread for days now, just to say, that you are doing a great job !
tiggerlator said:
Smealum, just gotta say this is looking awesome. i cant wait to try it myself.
Thanks guys !
biggrin.gif

CannonFoddr said:
smealum said:
Bmcs said:
I knew i had a big question to make that no one had made.
Smealum, what about sound? Sound of walking in the different areas....sound of braking blocks....sound of placing blocks....etc....Yeah, of course there'll be sound, I just haven't gotten around to adding it yet. It really shouldn't be too hard; I just need to find fitting sound effects. (obviously I can't just take the ones in minecraft)Well there's quite a few 'royalty free sound effect sites' (like here) on the web where I guess you can get some sounds that sound similar....

Have you decided on the format (e.g. wav,ogg,mp3) & rate (mono/stereo/22khz/44khz etc) or actual size - of sounds you are going to need/use ....
if so perhaps by letting us followers know - we can go out & look (or would that be listen) to such sites for any that 'sound similar' to minecrafts own - & convert them for you

Well I don't actually know exactly what format will be used yet, but anyway I can convert them myself, so don't worry.
smile.gif

sychotix said:
You could do multiple blocks which render to be empty on half, and full of sand on the other, then 2/5ths sand, 3/5ths empty. and simply replay this process as much as you want (or the DS can handle). This probably wouldn't be very effective though unless you can dedicate a separate thread to it, although how "neat" it looks can be fully customized with how many steps in-between you make.

EDIT: You also would only need to create one copy of this block fully dissapearing, as long as you can put put a rotation on how the blocks get rendered (play top animation backwards on bottom block)
Again - not that easy with the way my engine works. It's been heavily optimised in order to be as fast as possible to render cubes, but nothing else (well, with the exception of torches...and probably doors and such at some point
tongue.gif
), so unless I handle sand separately (which I probably *could* do, but it would use up a lot of ram... at least 96KB actually, and even then sand would still be a pain) it's just not possible for it to be nice and smooth.

QUOTE(Nathan Drake @ Aug 7 2011, 09:20 AM)
Okay, I've been a baaaad beta tester. I need to get off my ass and play more. Maybe while I watch my movie tonight, I'll get some more done. I found one area where the rendering was just broken. It was like a rift had been torn in the map. xD

Well unfortunately that doesn't really help me now does it ?
tongue.gif

QUOTE(TheDreamLord @ Aug 7 2011, 10:55 AM)
QUOTE(Patrick1704 @ Aug 7 2011, 09:37 AM)
frown.gif

I found a bug where the saving sometimes doesnt work. I've noticed it as I've played and after that it froze up. No error code. Just a freeze. I was at a beach building a house when it happened. finished it. saved and it froze a bit later. started it it, found the beach and the house was only half done. also taking more than 3 screenshots crashes it.
Suggestion: Saving can also leave you in the same place as before. >_> I lost a house underground...XD
Yeah I'll probably implement some sort of spawn point saving.
wink.gif

As for the freeze, that's strange... Are you sure it wasn't just saving ? Saving can be pretty long (in some cases it can take as long as 10 seconds); how long did you wait before shutting down ?

@lucasade, Bmcs :
I know you have good intentions and I think it's great that you want to contribute.
smile.gif
However, as I have previously stated I *am* going to make a small website for the game and host it on my own server; that's where I'll be posting updates for the game, probably have some FAQ and a few screenshots... but that's it. Now if you want to make your own website that's fine, but keep in my that it will be a fan site and no the official site. Not that I don't think you can handle making a website, but I like to keep the "official" stuff under control, have it all on my own server etc. Also, don't forget that making and maintaining a community-oriented website (from what I understand you want to make it some sort of file-sharing hub with a forum, right ?) is hard work and that given this is a small homebrew project you probably shouldn't expect it to be flooded with members.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want to make a website for/about the game, then that's great, go ahead, but I won't be helping you with it or taking responsibility for it, I hope you understand.
smile.gif

(I guess if it all works out I could put a link to it on the game's official page)

(also, if that doesn't sound very clear, it's because I'm really tired right now
tongue.gif
)

Oh, and I've been debugging stuff, adding a few things, nothing major, just a few nice touches. Also, I made the player taller !

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
smealum said:
@lucasade, Bmcs :
I know you have good intentions and I think it's great that you want to contribute.
smile.gif
However, as I have previously stated I *am* going to make a small website for the game and host it on my own server; that's where I'll be posting updates for the game, probably have some FAQ and a few screenshots... but that's it. Now if you want to make your own website that's fine, but keep in my that it will be a fan site and no the official site. Not that I don't think you can handle making a website, but I like to keep the "official" stuff under control, have it all on my own server etc. Also, don't forget that making and maintaining a community-oriented website (from what I understand you want to make it some sort of file-sharing hub with a forum, right ?) is hard work and that given this is a small homebrew project you probably shouldn't expect it to be flooded with members.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you want to make a website for/about the game, then that's great, go ahead, but I won't be helping you with it or taking responsibility for it, I hope you understand.
smile.gif

(I guess if it all works out I could put a link to it on the game's official page)

(also, if that doesn't sound very clear, it's because I'm really tired right now
tongue.gif
)

Clearly we have here a misunderstood, and maybe we should clear some things.

We have no intentions, and i repeat, no intentions of using official stuff on the website, we have no intentions of stealing the work of no one...
The decision of making this website came up with the need of a place for all of us to share our creations with other players, and also share images and maps...
We are aware of the fact that this is only a homebrew, however, this is a game that provides the opportunity of sharing gameplay experiences and we will create the website only with that purpose. We don't expect it to be flooded with members, it doesn't have to be, but, lets not forget that, there's a lot of people outside gbatemp that would love to have a DS version of Minecraft, and it's those people we have in mind...(and lucasade, correct me if i'm wrong in any of these things)

And let me explain one more thing (and that's for everyone). We are going to earn nothing from this, this will be just me and lucasade working for the game community, so, don't get us wrong either...

Maybe giving an example will be more easy to understand. For all of you who play minecraft, i bet you all know those sites where you can get texture packs, maps, player skins, etc. So, imagine a site like that, but fully dedicated to DsCraft...that's our goal. Smealum will have no responsibility over anything on the site, that's all to me and lucasade.

So, please, smealum, don't misunderstand us, our intentions are good...

And please be honest with us, if you don't approve this project your the only person in the world who can go ahead and say "stop that, i don't like that idea" you have your rights...

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
Bmcs said:
smealum said:
@lucasade, Bmcs :
smile.gif
smile.gif

tongue.gif
)

We have no intentions, and i repeat, no intentions of using official stuff on the website, we have no intentions of stealing the work of no one...
The decision of making this website came up with the need of a place for all of us to share our creations with other players, and also share images and maps...
We are aware of the fact that this is only a homebrew, however, this is a game that provides the opportunity of sharing gameplay experiences and we will create the website only with that purpose. We don't expect it to be flooded with members, it doesn't have to be, but, lets not forget that, there's a lot of people outside gbatemp that would love to have a DS version of Minecraft, and it's those people we have in mind...(and lucasade, correct me if i'm wrong in any of these things)

And let me explain one more thing (and that's for everyone). We are not going to earn nothing with this, this will be just me and lucasade working for the game community, so, don't get us wrong either...

Maybe giving an example will be more easy to understand. For all of you who play minecraft, i bet you all know those sites where you can get texture packs, maps, player skins, etc. So, imagine a site like that, but fully dedicated to DsCraft...that's our goal. Smealum will have no responsibility over anything on the site, that's all to me and lucasade.

And please be honest with us, if you don't approve this project your the only person in the world who can go ahead and say "stop that, i don't like that idea" you have your rights...
For all those fluent english speakers who may have read part of that wrong. We are going to earn nothing from this.

But you are absolutely right aswell Bmcs. This site will be on the behalf of all fans of DSCraft, and will allow them to share screenshots, videos, maps, and hopefully info on a forum.

And yes, you are the only one who can say 'no' to this smealum. But if 'no' is your answer to this, hurry up and say so
tongue.gif
I really have a lot of work and learning to do to make the site. No time to waste.
smile.gif

BTW: If YOU (reader) want this fan site to exist, do comment here. It will probably make me fell its important, and I'll actually work on it whenever I can
tongue.gif

D

Deleted_171835

lucasade said:
And yes, you are the only one who can say 'no' to this smealum. But if 'no' is your answer to this, hurry up and say so
tongue.gif
I really have a lot of work and learning to do to make the site. No time to waste.
smile.gif
Uh, you don't already know how to write a site?

If that's the case, you're better off letting someone else with more experience do it.

As for the game itself, I can't wait for a proper release. It looks pretty awesome.

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
lucasade said:
Bmcs said:
smealum said:
@lucasade, Bmcs :
smile.gif
smile.gif

tongue.gif
)

And let me explain one more thing (and that's for everyone). We are not going to earn nothing with this, this will be just me and lucasade working for the game community, so, don't get us wrong either...

For all those fluent english speakers who may have read part of that wrong. We are going to earn nothing from this.

But you are absolutely right aswell Bmcs. This site will be on the behalf of all fans of DSCraft, and will allow them to share screenshots, videos, maps, and hopefully info on a forum.

tongue.gif
smile.gif

BTW: If YOU (reader) want this fan site to exist, do comment here. It will probably make me fell its important, and I'll actually work on it whenever I can
tongue.gif
I would like to see this site
tongue.gif
I am making alot of stuff at the moment and I've no where to put them up.
@Smealum could u add a wi-fi function to the game to upload screenshots direct from the ds? That'd be awesome XD

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
smealum said:
testatura said:
following this thread for days now, just to say, that you are doing a great job !
tiggerlator said:
Smealum, just gotta say this is looking awesome. i cant wait to try it myself.
Thanks guys !
biggrin.gif

CannonFoddr said:
smealum said:
Bmcs said:
I knew i had a big question to make that no one had made.
Smealum, what about sound? Sound of walking in the different areas....sound of braking blocks....sound of placing blocks....etc....Yeah, of course there'll be sound, I just haven't gotten around to adding it yet. It really shouldn't be too hard; I just need to find fitting sound effects. (obviously I can't just take the ones in minecraft)Well there's quite a few 'royalty free sound effect sites' (like here) on the web where I guess you can get some sounds that sound similar....

Have you decided on the format (e.g. wav,ogg,mp3) & rate (mono/stereo/22khz/44khz etc) or actual size - of sounds you are going to need/use ....
if so perhaps by letting us followers know - we can go out & look (or would that be listen) to such sites for any that 'sound similar' to minecrafts own - & convert them for you

Well I don't actually know exactly what format will be used yet, but anyway I can convert them myself, so don't worry.
smile.gif

sychotix said:
You could do multiple blocks which render to be empty on half, and full of sand on the other, then 2/5ths sand, 3/5ths empty. and simply replay this process as much as you want (or the DS can handle). This probably wouldn't be very effective though unless you can dedicate a separate thread to it, although how "neat" it looks can be fully customized with how many steps in-between you make.

EDIT: You also would only need to create one copy of this block fully dissapearing, as long as you can put put a rotation on how the blocks get rendered (play top animation backwards on bottom block)
Again - not that easy with the way my engine works. It's been heavily optimised in order to be as fast as possible to render cubes, but nothing else (well, with the exception of torches...and probably doors and such at some point
tongue.gif
), so unless I handle sand separately (which I probably *could* do, but it would use up a lot of ram... at least 96KB actually, and even then sand would still be a pain) it's just not possible for it to be nice and smooth.

QUOTE(Nathan Drake @ Aug 7 2011, 09:20 AM)

Well unfortunately that doesn't really help me now does it ?
tongue.gif

QUOTE(TheDreamLord @ Aug 7 2011, 10:55 AM)
QUOTE(Patrick1704 @ Aug 7 2011, 09:37 AM)
frown.gif

Yeah I'll probably implement some sort of spawn point saving.
wink.gif

As for the freeze, that's strange... Are you sure it wasn't just saving ? Saving can be pretty long (in some cases it can take as long as 10 seconds); how long did you wait before shutting down ?

@lucasade, Bmcs :
smile.gif
smile.gif

tongue.gif
)

Oh, and I've been debugging stuff, adding a few things, nothing major, just a few nice touches. Also, I made the player taller !
It froze after I'd say about 2 mins.
It hasnt happened since though so it might have been a freak thing? This HAS happened to other games on my cyclods before. it just freezes lol. ill report back i fi thappens again

Ultralex

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Today I surfed in the Internet and then found this news Link on a german Game tipps site.
At first I thought "What, another Minecraft for the DS?
But then I saw it was yours.

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
SoulSnatcher said:
lucasade said:
tongue.gif
smile.gif

If that's the case, you're better off letting someone else with more experience do it.

As for the game itself, I can't wait for a proper release. It looks pretty awesome.

Believe me, he knows what he's doing...

Besides, off course we're not web designers, but hey, we're doing what we can, it doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough for us to use it. Lucasade has the knowledge for website building, so, don't worry about that.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
SoulSnatcher said:
lucasade said:
tongue.gif
smile.gif

Even the buggy version that the testers have is pretty great. There are definitely kinks to work out, but the basic functions are there and working really well. The maps and textures look nice, and the touchscreen interface all works flawlessly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?