Minecraft DS (in 3D !)

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by smealum, Jul 10, 2011.

1. IDaNL

IDaNL Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2010
    Netherlands
    @Kiaku i like the control scheme when R will be jumping too.
    About slot 2 ram: I have a DSi so:(

2. nexus1556

nexus1556 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2011
    Canada
    A Nice Island In The Ocean
    Theres A Fat Demo Out Now??

3. smealum
    OP

smealum growing up sucks.

May 1, 2006
    United States
    SF
    Not yet, sorry.

Anyway, water is looking good. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I now have a fully working water-spreading algorithm which uses less than 0.5% of the cpu power, which is of course great news. [​IMG] I still have to figure out a way to limit the water's spread (right now one block can flood entire valleys... it's fun, but it's also a bit problematic since having this much water would drastically reduce the view distance. Also there's the fact that accidentally placing one block of water could ruin an creation, which isn't cool.), and a way to handle it near the edge of the loaded part of the map. So yeah, still thinking about it.
    Also, right now it's possible to flood entire cave systems.

4. sychotix

sychotix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2011
    United States
    Hey sme[h/e you spell it]. If by "implement water more dynamically" in your original post, you mean how you could deal with water spreading... you could do a notify kind-of implementation upon the changing of a block, similar to that of what you may be doing with sand (or w/e the block is that falls down if there is nothing below it).

Something like this (psudo code, i have no clue what language this is coded in.)

Code:
    public class BlockSpace
    {

private BlockType _type = BlockTypes.Empty;
    private int[] _position = new int[3];

public void changeType(BlockType type)
    {
    ÂÂÂÂ_type = type;
    ÂÂÂÂif (_type == BlockTypes.Water || _type == BlockTypes.Lava || _type == BlockTypes.Empty) //or any other types that need be notified of changes
    ÂÂÂÂ{
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂWorld world = World.createWorld(); //Assuming singleton implementation
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂworld.getBlockAt(_position[0]+1, _position[1], _position[2]).notifyBlockUpdate(_position, _type);
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂworld.getBlockAt(_position[0]-1, _position[1], _position[2]).notifyBlockUpdate(_position, _type);
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂ [etc]
    ÂÂÂÂ}
    }

}
    I'm unsure of how processor intensive this is, or how much the DS can handle... but notifying 4 blocks whenever a block is changed doesn't sound too bad.

EDIT: seems in your previous post, that you have fixed this already lol. You could still implement this with gravity effected stuff. Also, in order to limit its spread, simply create multiple "levels" of water. Cut it down by a fraction every time, and if the block next to it that will be spread is of the same height, cut it down by the fraction again... etc.

5. DroRox

DroRox Ambassador of Ooo

Aug 1, 2011
    United States
    The Land of Ooo
    I like your graphics over the real Minecrafts!

6. Evo.lve

Evo.lve All that you could be.

Oct 11, 2010
    Away from you.
    I am too lazy to read through 21 pages of this, but have you considered the possibility of modding support (like LuaCraft or whatever the one the French guy made is called?)

7. .Chris

.Chris Clueless

Feb 20, 2009
    United States
    United States
    it's probable. and its called Lumikha.

8. Sir_Voe

Sir_Voe GBAtemp Fan

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    No biggie on the gravity blocks. Water is sounding awesome though!

9. smealum
    OP

smealum growing up sucks.

May 1, 2006
    United States
    SF
    Unfortunately, it's doubtful. Lumikha (previously named lua craft) is written in lua, which is an interpreted language. So basically, what mods do is they add stuff to the game's source code, but that's only possible because that code's not compiled. Doing something like this in a compiled language like C is of course possible, but it would be quite complicated for little gain, and it would probably be rather resource consuming. So no, I don't plan on adding this.
    A more viable option would be for me to just make the game open source once I'm done with it, this way if anyone wants to add something, they'll be able to. However, given the current state of my code (I REALLY need to clean up [​IMG]) and the fact that there probably won't be much room for expansion on the DS version anyway, I can't tell when/if that will ever happen.
    (also, people would have to be interested in making mods...)

Anyway, I think I'm pretty much done with water. It works, water can now spread if it has room to do so and one can make waterfalls etc. I put a limit on the spread though, not because the system can't handle more (as I said before, it's able to flood entire valleys and caves), but because, well, having an entire area flooded because of a mistake would kinda suck. [​IMG]
    Also, I added an animation to the water's texture to make it look nicer and less static. [​IMG] No new screenshots though since you couldn't really see any of the new stuff on them, heh.

10. testatura

testatura GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2008
    Croatia
    probably at work...
    following this thread for days now, just to say, that you are doing a great job !

11. tiggerlator

tiggerlator GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2009
    Smealum, just gotta say this is looking awesome. i cant wait to try it myself.

12. CannonFoddr

CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

Sep 23, 2006
    Sitting by computer
    Well there's quite a few 'royalty free sound effect sites' (like here) on the web where I guess you can get some sounds that sound similar....

Have you decided on the format (e.g. wav,ogg,mp3) & rate (mono/stereo/22khz/44khz etc) or actual size - of sounds you are going to need/use ....
    if so perhaps by letting us followers know - we can go out & look (or would that be listen) to such sites for any that 'sound similar' to minecrafts own - & convert them for you

13. sychotix

sychotix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2011
    United States
    You could do multiple blocks which render to be empty on half, and full of sand on the other, then 2/5ths sand, 3/5ths empty. and simply replay this process as much as you want (or the DS can handle). This probably wouldn't be very effective though unless you can dedicate a separate thread to it, although how "neat" it looks can be fully customized with how many steps in-between you make.

EDIT: You also would only need to create one copy of this block fully dissapearing, as long as you can put put a rotation on how the blocks get rendered (play top animation backwards on bottom block)

14. Bmcs

Bmcs GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2009
    So, we all agree that the game is going to be awesome and smealum is doing a great job!

But! Me and lucasade want to go further and we came up with the idea of creating a website dedicated to DsCraft, a website providing "Images";"Maps" and "Videos" sharing, for all of us who want to share our creations in DsCraft and also download other people creations. But also a bug tracking system, so that people can expose any bug they find in the game.

We have no intentions, and i repeat, no intentions of using official stuff on the website, we have no intentions of stealing the work of no one...
    The decision of making this website came up with the need of a place for all of us to share our creations with other players, and also share images and maps...
    We are aware of the fact that this is only a homebrew, however, this is a game that provides the opportunity of sharing gameplay experiences and we will create the website only with that purpose. We don't expect it to be flooded with members, it doesn't have to be, but, lets not forget that, there's a lot of people outside gbatemp that would love to have a DS version of Minecraft, and it's those people we have in mind...

But what we really like to know is wheter you guys like the idea or not....let us know your opinion [​IMG]

At the moment we are still trying to find a good name for the website, we were thinking of DsCraftHQ (HQ= Head Quarters), so, give us your opinion on that too...

FAQ:

Q- Who will host it?
    A- Lucasade has free hosting

Q- When the site will be up?
    A- We will wait for an official release from smealum, only then we will put the site online

15. CannonFoddr

CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

Sep 23, 2006
    Sitting by computer
    Sounds like a good idea - Who will host it though ??

Also IMHO it would only be suitable for bug fixes only to the BETA testers of the latest version available....It's pointless giving a bug list based on the DEMO that some people have - since smealum may've fixed those bugs already

I would think it's best to wait until at least a release is out first before putting up a site dedicated to DSCraft, after all - not everyone has got the original DEMO to even attempt to build stuff

16. lucasade

lucasade m1cr0man

Jul 25, 2011
    Ireland
    People, I need to pick a domain name for the site. What do you think of www.DSCraftHQ ? I haven't decided on what ending yet, but I need to first know what to call the site.

17. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Well in URLs it'll be all lowercase, so be sure to take that into account. DSCraftHQ looks like, but dscrafthq looks weird.

dscraft.org seems to be free though, and ds-craft.net and .org are both free.

18. lucasade

lucasade m1cr0man

Jul 25, 2011
    Ireland
    Yeah it will be in lower case, and great to know its free. It will probably be .com or .ie though. Depends on what my webmaster can get cheapest.

19. TheDreamLord

TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    .ie ftw [​IMG]
    Also do we post bugs we find in here or do we PM them to you?

20. kelvinzz1

kelvinzz1 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2011
    United States
    The Netherlands
    i can make videos of dscraft and postit on the website [​IMG]