Homebrew Minecraft DS - 2D !

CoolAs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just giving you some facts, real Minecraft's chests hold 27 and two chests combined hold 54. Then again, real minecraft uses a 32 bit computer and has many more blocks. Also when you say they can actually hold 16 blocks each do you mean like 1 cobblestone, 1 sand, 1 coal, etc. or did you account for multiple items per slot.
Actually that is a good point.
I have 16 int's worth of data per block...
Now because for that I should be able to hold 16 different lots of blocks right?
NO! Actually I need 2 int's for 1block, the block ID and the amount.
The crafting table stores things in a completely different way, it has 18 int's that are *global* and that have no relevance to the block it's self.
I'll probably make chat store things in a completely different way.
I'll probably be able to store the chest as mob, giving it an extra int's.
And by that time I'll probably be able to store infinite mobs into a file...

Just wondering, how many chests can you place in one chunk?
According to the " there must be a air block between chests " rule?

CoolAs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just wondering, should there be cobblestone and stone tools in MineDS?

Also, should I make hoeing ground take time? (Because there is no point in a diamond hoe, it hoe's as quick as a wooden one does.)

The logic here is that the sooner you add it, the sooner I shut up. :P
The logic here is that the sooner you shut up, the less time he has to spend checking the thread for replies and go back to adding shit in.
The logic here is that the more you talk about it, the less I want to do it.

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally think you should only have wood, cobblestone, iron, gold, and diamond tools like Minecraft. About the chests, first do you mean how many chests will fit in a real minecrafts chunk (16x16x16)? You can combine two chest to store twice as much (52 I think), like you said. Also, can you store all the chests in the save? For what you said about the mob being a chest, I think real Minecraft counts chests as an "entity".

--Eddited for bad wording--

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and about the hoe, I think it would get annoying if it took a while to plant because you also have to un-hoe it because you have to walk across it so you can't make it naturally revert. I think for this, sticking to real Minecraft would be a good ideah, but thats only my opinion. I'm sorry I can't just edit this into the other post because I'm on my DSi and it would take forever to do. Whoops, I just found out how to edit this. I already typed up the other ones so I can't merge them on my DSi (that I know of).

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lastly, I'm just wondering if you made the rules for the tilemap or if it is somehow locked like that because for a block, most you would need at max maybe 4 ints for if you stored the x, y, block id, and blobk args. (open or closed door). Also If you wrote it, can you make a new object that acts like a block, but has more ints? I could be completely wrong about the whole "rules" thing, but I'm just trying to think of how it sounds its programmed. For some reason my wording is always wierd, so I understand how someone could get confused reading this.

CoolAs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hrm Actually you have a good point with the farmland.

But, in the next version there *should* be 2 different layers and will work a lot like how you walk around cactus.
EG: Press B/L and you goto layer 2, the crops are in layer 1, so you won't trample it... Or something like that.

As for chests/mobs/entitys I think I have figured out a way of doing that well:

First read a "entitty ID"

If the "entity ID" is a chest, load 27 items and give it to the chest code to store...
If the "entity ID" is a skeleton, load weather it has shot an arrow in the last 30 seconds, how long till the next arrow shoot, its x/y position, its target and send that to the skeleton code to store.
If the "entity ID" is etc. etc. etc.
If the "entity ID" is STOP, stop loading more data :P

That in theory should work, but theory does NOT equal practice...

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and remember it probably wouldn't be a good idea to have it so farmland is destroyed once walked on because of accedentally slipping off the key. Instead you should do something like if they walk on it longer than... or if they walk on it x amount of times in this time frame. I also like how you have the keys adjusted so you don't need the L/R keys because mine along with many others, are broken

|Biginning of Long Rant| {Talking about that subject, I could not get it (my L/R key) to work at all, unless I jammed my finger on it at a certain angle. So I sent it in to Nintendo with a full description of the problem... They sent it back saying they replaced the neccesary parts, but couldn't duplicate the problem!!! It worked for about two weeks and then it died out completely. Since it took a lot of work to send it in again and would take them another 3 weeks or more to do, I didn't bother doing it. By now my warranty is way up. I also replaced my shell with crystal red (where I accidentally broke the inner DSi camera) and tried everything to the L/R button, but it would not work. I might eventually order the part again and replace it. I even tried blowing on it and everything [including rubbing alcohal(I know I spelled that wrong).]}|End of Long Rant|.

In the future maybe you could add customized buttons so you can utalize them without excluding people with broken L/R buttons. I also forgot to mention in the checklist, ladders are a required thing if you remove the bug of you flying up if you close a door on yourself (because I use that as an elevator).

CoolAs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
xD, I kinda wanted that glitch in the current update, so I didn't have to cOde ladders.

Oh, and I kinda got chunks working, I just need to make it so that it saves and regenerates new ones.

After that... Torches!!!

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The door closing glitch is in this AND the 3D one?
Doors must hate MCDS. :O

I know.

xD, I kinda wanted that glitch in the current update, so I didn't have to cOde ladders.

I see your point, but (again, I don't know programming really, but) I think all you would have to do is something like:

Loop Repeat:;
If: behind ladder = true and up arrow held = true;
{
Then;
y == y+1;
goto "Repeat";
Else;
End;
}

(Y is the X, Y position) And then declare the functions behind ladder and use a different command for checking whether the up arroww is pressed. You also would integrate something other than a repeating if statement, like some while or other loop, but I don't know that specific stuff. The hard part I'm guessing would be declaring the functions, and I know, this would be a very limitted version.

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can ray or CoolAs show the ToDo list?
For the length of the whole game, you can look at the list I made and what they said. For just within a short period of time you'll have to wait for his response. You can also try looking in the source to see the features they are making, like they already aded cobblestone tools I think.

hez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Add walking animation and breaking animation (when break a block) and please add the item you hold is visible (in your hand)
@[member='dicamarques']
In next update you can craft stone,iron and diamond tools.

Wolfgange

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Add walking animation and breaking animation (when break a block) and please add the item you hold is visible (in your hand)

Yeah, after the major stuff like the crafting and menu, those would be a good choice to add.

...and please add the item you hold is visible (in your hand)

What do you mean by this? It seems like it would block your view if you have like a 3d real minecraft style block. Do you mean like take that box on the top sreen and move it down to the bottom screen on like the top-right corner? That would be a good idea and like to go to your inventory you could also double tap the box.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying