Hacking Mighty Channels

Hugh Verdam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should probably leave this to people who know what they're talking about! :-) But--the answer I've consistently heard is that in Sneek/Uneek, virtually every IOS acts as a cIOS; therefore all of the cIOS voodoo you need for the actual Wii is unnecessary.

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@M1r0
I believe you need a really simple answer.
You can think of sneek as a kind of cios since both run on the ARM processor and that's why they can emulate nand.
Sneek can emulate the nand by itself while Migthy Channels (which runs on the PPC processor just like any other game, channel, homebrew, etcetera) has to use a cios.

Hugh Verdam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, Marc---

Here's something weird. When I installed Uneek on my USB drive, I decided to create a second emulated nand, since the one I used for MC was working very well and I was just playing around with Uneek.

So, the Uneek nand is on the root of the USB drive and the MC nand is under the /Nand directory on that same drive.

Now, when I load cIOSX d2x V3 beta 6 (which identifies itself as Rev 21) in slot 249, everything works hunky dory with MC Beta 6.

However, when I load the "final" version of d2x V3 created by the latest version of ModMii (which identifies itself as Rev 21003), the path redirection no longer works--as if MC beta 6 sees the root nand first and loads that up instead.

Am I the only one who has this issue?

kukupo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there I've been a long time user of Triiforce MRC but I stopped using it the day my 500GB USB HDD broke and I switched to my 2TB.
Ever since then NAND emulation never worked on my 2TB USB HDD and I heard that NAND emu will only work on drives 1TB and lower.
This was a while ago so I decided to try again using more updated stuff

I'm currently using Mighty Channel Beta 6 and tried both d2x v3 using 37 and 56 as base.
Both times I got the following error.
ERROR: I can't enable NAND emulator ret=-101

However using my 16gb flash drive with the exact same folder it works fine, it can detect the drive and the title list.

My question is that is there a way to fix it so it works on a 2TB HDD? It never did before so I was just wondering if someone found out a way to make it work.

For some info my 2TB HDD has two partitions. I made a 20GB FAT32 Partition to use as the NAND emulator and it is currently set as Active. The other partition is my NTFS for regular computer backup usage.

lenny_kano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
kukupo said:
Hey there I've been a long time user of Triiforce MRC but I stopped using it the day my 500GB USB HDD broke and I switched to my 2TB.
Ever since then NAND emulation never worked on my 2TB USB HDD and I heard that NAND emu will only work on drives 1TB and lower.
This was a while ago so I decided to try again using more updated stuff

I'm currently using Mighty Channel Beta 6 and tried both d2x v3 using 37 and 56 as base.
Both times I got the following error.
ERROR: I can't enable NAND emulator ret=-101

However using my 16gb flash drive with the exact same folder it works fine, it can detect the drive and the title list.

My question is that is there a way to fix it so it works on a 2TB HDD? It never did before so I was just wondering if someone found out a way to make it work.

For some info my 2TB HDD has two partitions. I made a 20GB FAT32 Partition to use as the NAND emulator and it is currently set as Active. The other partition is my NTFS for regular computer backup usage.

i have exactly the same problem going from a 1tb to 2tb wd elements. But it also reutrns the same error in wad manager when trying to enable nand emulator, so is a cios issue, not a mighty channels issue.

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah of course it's a cios issue.
Unfortunately I've no 2TB HDD to replicate it.
Does your 2TB HDD work with sneek?
If so I can try to solve the issue by borrowing some stuff from it.

lenny_kano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have the hdd partitioned first 1tb fat32 primary active, 2nd 1tb ntfs primary. uneek works fine with nand on first partition. mighty channels/wad manager always error when enabling nand emu, with old or new revisions of the cios. wiiflow/cfg usb loader work fine reading wbfs games from the same fat32 partition, so the cios is not completely incompatible with the drive, only when trying to enable nand emu. have been using d2x v3 b56, tried other bases but no go. anything i can do which could prove helpful let me know.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't touched my modded Wii in months, but I modded my new Wii yesterday and stumbled onto this app. Kinda rusty, so I just want to ask before I do anything. Can I simply use Wad Manager to install Mighty Channels as a channel on the system menu, or is there more to it than that?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
there's more to it than that. If the channel is a forwarder, then u need the mighty channels boot.dol saved to your sd card or usb hard drive. In addition, u'll need to construct an emulated with some wiiware/vc channels on it. You can do so by extracting your nand.bin dump using nandextractor or showmiiwads. Or you can build a clean/fresh emulated nand using ModMii (see my signature), but afterwards you will need to use ShowMiiWads (ShowMiiNand) to install wiiware/vc wads to your emulated nand. When u've done all that, then u can use mighty channels.

FYI, a lot of people prefer using s/uneek nand emulation over mighty channels. It has near perfect compatability, but mighty channels is slowly slowly catching up in terms of compatability
biggrin.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eek...well, that sounds like a lot for someone like me to take on. I wouldn't want to put my system is danger of brickage. Thanks for clearing that up, though.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there some sort of walkthrough for strictly setting up Mighty Channels (or similar app)? I safely modded my system yesterday, installed a few extra cIOSes (222, 223, 224, 249), and I'm happy with the end result. I've checked out the ModMii thread many times, but since the softmod guide I used previously worked well, I figured if it ain't broke...

Can ModMii walk me through the process, and just that process?

Thanks

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ModMii can walk u through most of the process. Start ModMii, from the main menu type "S", then type "3" to set up s/uneek and an emulated nand, on the next menu I recommend you choose "UD" Uneek+DI, but read the explanation of each of them to determine which is best for you, then answer the rest of the prompts and let ModMii do it's thing. Be sure to read the quick tips that are displayed during the install.

If you choose sneek+di or uneek+di, u will also need at least one game saved to your hard drive in sneek format (ModMii can do that for u too, from the main menu type "S" then "4")

When you're done, plug the sd card and/or hard drive in your wii. If u have bootmii @ boot2, s/uneek will load automatically when you power on the Wii. If you only have bootmii installed as IOS, u will need to launch bootmii @ IOS from the HBC or priiloader. When s/uneek is loading for the first time, it expands its files on the emulated nand, so it may take some time (5-10 minutes) before you reach the emulated nand system menu. The next time it loads it will be much much faster.

I realize you are asking about mighty channels, not s/uneek, but they are so closely related that this route makes sense. Anyways, you should launch s/uneek at least once in order to expand your emulated nand otherwise it may not operate properly in mighty channels.

So now u are almost done, stay with me!

All u need to do now is install channels to your emu nand. So plug the sd card or HDD back into windows, download showmiiwads (google for it). Start showmiiwads (accept the risks in the disclaimer), build the common key (tools-->create common key), change the nand backup path to wherever your emulated nand is which should be your usb if u chose uneek or sd card if u chose sneek (options-->change nand backup path), then go to view-->showmiinand. Then just drag and drop whatever wads/games u want on your emulated nand, and at the bottom click the 'install' text button. Wait for it to finish. Now the next time u start s/uneek u will be able to play those games off your emulated nand.

Now, this is the last step and the easiest. Download mighty channels, save it to your sd card or usb, then start the HBC from your real nand (so not from inside s/uneek) and load mighty channels. There u will see all the games u installed to your emu nand from the previous step.

FYI, best compatability for mighty channels is with cIOS249 d2x v3 base 56, which can only be downloaded from ModMii (download page 4).

I really spelled out every single little step. So while the above text might seem daunting, I probably could've explained it with less words but I wanted to make sure I covered everything.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh dude, thank you very much for that. I ran a search to see what the whole thing is actually, and man, it's pretty mind-boggling. It's kinda like two mirrors facing each other. I stumbled onto a video about an app called switch2uneek, which just blows my mind. I don't want to hijack this thread with off-topic stuff, but would be okay if I PMed you discuss the matter further?

Thanks again.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
don't worry about switch2uneek right now, that's fine tuning your emu nand setup. For now just concentrate on getting it set up.

Follow the instructions above and PM me when you get stumped, or just post in the sneek+di quick guide thread, there's a lot of help to be found there
biggrin.gif

IceIceBird

Trophies
XP
Country
marc_max:
I would realy like it if the name of the game was shown when hovering over a game "cover". Shouldn't be that hard to add
wink.gif

Also I have another thought, when we quit a game and try to go back to system menu isn't true that when doing that the wii tries to load the sm from the emu nand. What if we replaced that sm with an forwarder that switches back to the real nand and load the Might Channels channel. Shouldn't that solve the problem. Or if there is an easier way to get the Mighty channels Channel start again automaticly when we are trying go back to the system menu. Something like if that real nand channel exist load it once more if it dosn't load the real nand system menu instead, not every one uses that channel but most of us do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: @Xdqwerty, about to