Hacking Mighty Channels

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to hear it Marc_Max! Question, will you be including the mods that have been made? I really liked the latest with the titles under the pictures and being able to scroll left/right from page 1-end etc.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
marc_max said:
I'm back to MC development, expect BETA6 soon. It will be ready to be tested with special d2x 21003 version.
marc, I have a suggestion. Can you have mighty channels treat cIOSs with version numbers 21003-21020 as d2x cIOSs? That way when d2x v4 (or v4 beta) is released you won't need to update mighty channels to detect it... and the same applies for v5, v6... v20, etc.

what do u think?

marc_max

OP
Trophies
Website
www.marcrobledo.com
XP
Country
XFlak said:
marc_max said:
I'm back to MC development, expect BETA6 soon. It will be ready to be tested with special d2x 21003 version.
marc, I have a suggestion. Can you have mighty channels treat cIOSs with version numbers 21003-21020 as d2x cIOSs? That way when d2x v4 (or v4 beta) is released you won't need to update mighty channels to detect it... and the same applies for v5, v6... v20, etc.

what do u think?
Yes, I already thought on that, don't worry
smile.gif
In fact, it's already implemented.

marc_max

OP
Trophies
Website
www.marcrobledo.com
XP
Country
BETA6 on the first post.
Features:
*multilanguage (please try your language and check if there is any error)
*some fixes
*support for Bit Trip Flux
*support for d2xb3 partition and path selector

The support for d2x isn't tested, so I can't guarantee it will work.
I have commented the lines that check for 2100X for now (it still checks for 21). If you are using d2xb3 please try if --partition and --path parameters are still working. I changed the way davebaol modified beta5 and I haven't tested it yet.
Also, if it works please check if banner sound plays correctly and if Bit Trip savegames are created correctly.
NOTE: path can't be longer than 32 bytes.

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
- d2xv3
- partition=0
- path=/nand

now banner sound plays but when you launch the game MC crashes on "Searching for main DOLl"

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well that's weird, now MC doesn't crash anymore.
Really don't know why, but everything seems to work.
I'm a bit confused 'cause nothing has changed. Same cios, same config, same everything.
blink.gif

EDIT:
Ok, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
marc_max said:
BETA6 on the first post.
Features:
*multilanguage (please try your language and check if there is any error)
*some fixes
*support for Bit Trip Flux
*support for d2xb3 partition and path selector

The support for d2x isn't tested, so I can't guarantee it will work.
I have commented the lines that check for 2100X for now (it still checks for 21). If you are using d2xb3 please try if --partition and --path parameters are still working. I changed the way davebaol modified beta5 and I haven't tested it yet.
Also, if it works please check if banner sound plays correctly and if Bit Trip savegames are created correctly.
NOTE: path can't be longer than 32 bytes.
I just put out a minor DB update to ModMii so all d2x v3 cIOSs will now all be v21003
biggrin.gif

Gan1664

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Very good !!

I didn't look very close but the french translation seems good !

The path argument works.

I just wonder how to change skin and what is done in the NAND management options (sysconf and Mii) I tried it but it seems to have no effect.

Thank you again Marc.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
First checks:
(mighty channels beta 6, d2x v3).

+folder redirection works
+dr Mario works
+tetris pary worked since the second time (the first time, it gave me "An error occurred when writing to/reading from wii system memory. Refer to the wii operations manual for further instructions").

-sonic 4 now blackscreens on me (never did that before). With rev17, it gives me "Identify failed" (note: since rev17 doesn't support the folder redirection, this is an attempt to run the game from my UNEEK nand).
-blackscreen from star fox 64 and swords&soldiers (base 56 & 38...s&s gave a "an error has occurred" on 38).
-"an error has occurred" from maboshi arcade. Second time, the screen just stayed black (base 56).
-the "return to" menu doesn't work from within games that work.

Not exactly the best of results. Especially since I used these games (sonic, star fox) mainly to check whether any game works. I haven't tested much 'known problem' games, but I doubt it'll make things much better. Sorry.
frown.gif

I have to mention that I haven't tested the released v3 version of d2x before, so I can't really say what is causing all these errors.

papermanzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I like Mighty Channles. =D
Great work so far, marc.

The game compatibility is handled by the emu in the cios.

The "An error occurred when writing to/reading from wii system memory. Refer to the wii operations manual for further instructions" messages is a regular message in d2x V3 (in my case).
I got it in Bonsai Barber (which is working sometimes, but most times not), Max & the Magic Marker, Swords and Shields (as good as never working) and Megaman 9 (which is working most times and the message appears very rare).

I didn't get the time to switch to d2x beta 6 v3 to log the data.
But everyone who has problems should do that and post the logs (in the cios thread).
I guess it's easier to see the root cause (and to debug this problem)

My settings:
Partition 1
path: mighty/NAND
IOS: 248 with d2x v3 Base 56

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@marc_max
Often MC beta 6 crashes on "Searching for main DOL" for me.
TBH I cannot exclude it's a cios problem.
Can you replicate the issue?
And then can you isolate with a bunch of printf in check_dol the code or the system call causing the crash?
if you like I'm ready to be your tester.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That question is more a sneek-related question and should be asked in this thread. I think the last question of the first post answers it best:

giantpune said:
What is SNEEK and How does it do what it does?
sneek is basically just a way to lie to the PPC in the wii. the wii has 2 processors ARM and PPC. games, the system menu, channels, most homebrew, and pretty much every other program that accepts user input and draws on the screen run on the PPC. when these programs want information from the wii's internal memory, internet, dvd, sd card, or pretty much anywhere else, they have to ask the program running on the ARM (an IOS usually) for it (except when the wii is in gamecube mode).

sneek runs on the ARM and it redirects where information comes from and in some cases, patches that information with false data. the end result is that the program running on the PPC asks for data from the wii's nand and it gets it from the sd card instead. if the PPC wants data from the dvd drive, sneek can give it data from a usb drive instead. when the system menu asks how much space is used for channels, sneek flat out lies about it and gives a low number so the system menu doesnt give the "system memory is full" message.

about cIOS and sneek, since IOS and sneek both run on the arm, there is a chance that they will not play nicely together. they are both trying to patch stuff and be smart, but they dont realize that each other is there and both are trying to be smart. the end result is that when sneek tries to load a cIOS, it doesnt load all of it and the parts of it that do load start doing their normal cIOS stuff and end up patching memory where sneek is and both of them end up not working right.

A bit technical answer, but yeah...it is a technical question.
smile.gif

M1r0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry that I'm still posting here, but I didn't feel like this answered my question. I was wondering that, if SNEEK, which can emulate the nand, requires no cIOS to do so, why does this program, which also does NAND emulation, need a cIOS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i dont want the bottom fans blowing the gpu fans spinning
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eminem's daughter got married apparently it should've been me :nayps3:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    guess she got the better fling
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean he did dad's loaded
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    papa eminem approved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grampainem
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored of HD2 lately
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    too burned out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    from gameplay and drama
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I keep hunting for apps and forget half of them are already widgets on my home screen
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    almost everything gets shuved as some taskbar process
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is HD2?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Helldivers 2
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    the game has as much bugs ingame as well as in RL
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That games so mixed I hear people praise or say they love it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's both, they love it and hate it just as much
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like we get mixed reviews but that games globally mixed like mj
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    love the gameplay, hate the buggy mess it's also in, much drama and controversy also related due to sony being sony
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    the mixed reviews is due to review bombing, because a chunk of regions are excluded/banned from buying it now
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    so the players are review bombing as response to sony doubling down on their so-called policy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe the real bugs were the glitches they didn't patch along the way
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    there are instability issues regarding certain hardware setups, but it's a small part
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    game's now what, 3 months out the door
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    live service game for 40 bucks that sold 12 mil copies
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: live service game for 40 bucks that sold 12 mil copies