Having problems loading FreeMCBoot, was previously working

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Wolvenreign, May 11, 2013.

1. Wolvenreign
    OP

Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey all. My PS2 doesn't load FreeMCBoot properly anymore. I didn't make any changes, but now it only seems to load FreeMCBoot in about 1 out of every 10 tries or so.

Anyone else with this problem?

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Could be the memory card is going bad. Have you tried it with another memory card?

3. Wolvenreign
    OP

Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    No. That was my only FreeMCBoot memory card. I was going to use it to make a backup.

This sucks. ESR was my first completed hack. I had to use a jump method to get it to work with my Slim PS2, including using an old Gameshark on a Phat PS2 and tons of hours of tweaking. I was so proud when it was done. =(

4. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Well I can do free FreeMcBoot installation for you if you want. If you have a spare memory card you can ship it to me and I'll ship it back with FMB back.

5. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    I am having issues too, I just installed it last night using swap method with mgs3. Ps phat is pretty old.

It seems to freeze up when I boot up with a disc in the console but it works when it's empty.

Does the memory card have to be in the same slot as when it's installed for it to work? I installed in the first slot but now I want to use it in slot2 so I can have a regular card in the first slot but it doesn't seem to work in the second slot. I am thinking it may be difficult to reinstall in the second slot with out having to swap again, if I launch the explorer and installer from the first slot can I swap the memory card to the second slot and then run the installer or will removing the memory card screw it up? The installer is running from the USB so I think it may be safe.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If you have another memory card, I suggest putting the FreeMCBoot installation files on a USB stick or something, trying to boot it from your current card and installing it on the other one while it still boots at all. ;)

7. blaisedinsd

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    Good idea to have a backup I guess. I will have to clear some space on the memory card first though. Is it pretty simple to back up the saves to USB and restore them? I am really new to this, just got a ps3 and a psp and started messing with my ps2 this weekend.

Can these saves be easily transferred to ps3 as well? I got backward compatibility.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You can transfer all data back and forth using USB without a hitch. As for putting them on the PS3, I don't know - my PS3 isn't BC-compatible. Your saves will work perfectly fine when on a PS2 memory card though, so no worries there.

9. blaisedinsd

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    Thank you. I have found out they will not work on ps3, it uses psv format that no one has cracked. Only a ps3 can make a psv file. You have to buy a memory card adapter but I heard if you can boot swap magic on the ps3 there is a method. Both cost money. I bought a knock off adapter off eBay for around $10, so hopefully that will work. Sonya official one I see going for over $30 and swap magic cost around $25.

10. Magsor

Magsor I am watching you

Dec 1, 2010
    Canada
    Amos
    You know what's funny? You can install FreeMCboot with the memory card adapter and a PC...

11. blaisedinsd

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    Yeah, I was seeing something about that but I am not sure if it will work with the non official adapter. Since i already did the fmcb install I really just need it to work one time to get my saves on to the ps3