Microsoft is now suspending users who use Retail Mode emulators on their Xbox consoles

xbawks.png

After a short-lived return, it appears as though Microsoft has put an end to running emulators on Xbox Series X|S consoles via retail mode for good. The developers behind UWeaPons, the workaround to loading emulators on Xbox's Retail Mode, had their consoles permanently banned by Microsoft. Additionally, users caught using UWeaPons on their system are receiving 15-day suspensions. It's now recommended that if you installed any retail mode emulators, you remove them from your console.

:arrow: Source

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It feels like a lot because they are the kind of people who are especially noisy. We falsely assume that silence represents no one and 1 noisy person represents x amount of people who are "too oppressed" to speak their mind. This assumption empowers people to actually think that by being noisy, they are doing a service and leading a movement. It wouldn't even register that the world, at large, would prefer that they shut up and take personal responsibility.

Please watch my netflix show about the struggles and heartache of being an influencer. lol.

Last edited by tabzer,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Despite the many times where Nintendo has tried to change this, emulation is COMPLETELY LEGAL. It's simply a way to play games initially intended for different hardware - nothing less, nothing more.
Unless they are encrypted, which has been proven in court to be COMPLETELY ILLEGAL.

Because Yuzu uses absolutely ZERO Nintendo code or assets. They require you to source your own keys and firmware. Dolphin was booted from Steam because it included the Nintendo keys.
Yuzu still violates the DMCA. Nintendo only go after commercial rom sites & emulators, because it's easier to follow the money and they can get damages. Dolphin would have got booted off even if it didn't have keys (the Dolphin devs even said they didn't believe removing the keys would help)

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is more that the decryption key is considered copywritten content.
Not copyrighted, anything related to circumventing DRM violates the DMCA. Whether that is distributing the key or telling people the steps to decrypt the game, or including code to do it in a program etc.

It's like how selling drugs and bombs is illegal, as is telling people how to make them is illegal. Often the ingredients are perfectly legal, but selling them in a "nudge nudge, wink wink" way will get you in trouble.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not copyrighted, anything related to circumventing DRM violates the DMCA. Whether that is distributing the key or telling people the steps to decrypt the game, or including that code in a program etc.

It's like how selling drugs and bombs is illegal, as is telling people how to make them is illegal. Often the ingredients are perfectly legal, but selling them in a "nudge nudge, wink wink" way will get you in trouble.
This is really only important in cases of the key and such being listed online.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not, DeCSS was illegal even after they figured out how to derive the key without bundling it or getting the user to supply it.
Then I look forward to the day that someone gets sued for using an emulator with their own dumped games.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

After a short-lived return, it appears as though Microsoft has put an end to running emulators on Xbox Series X|S consoles via retail mode for good. The developers behind UWeaPons, the workaround to loading emulators on Xbox's Retail Mode, had their consoles permanently banned by Microsoft. Additionally, users caught using UWeaPons on their system are receiving 15-day suspensions. It's now recommended that if you installed any retail mode emulators, you remove them from your console.

:arrow: Source
I hope XBox Series consoles get hacked to kingdom come...

Deleted member 667441

Trophies
XP
Again, this is paying to use your OWN hardware that you BOUGHT and OWN. Compare that to Tesla charging you $1000 extra to, for example, charge your full battery instead of only 80% of it.
You realize that isnt comparable right?

I am talking about a LICENSE you are talking about hardware with software

Your comparison is like being forced to buy a muffler when you buy a new car...

Mine is like saying your car can fly but you need to buy wings to do it,a license doesnt just make something magically work

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Mine is like saying your car can fly but you need to buy wings to do it,a license doesnt just make something magically work

Lol, there was a fiasco about batteries being limited by software. You had to pay to unlock software features, aka license, to use the batteries to a fuller potential.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary

Your comparison makes it sound like the console can't run any software whatsoever without a developer licence.

Reactions: dudeguy2022

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Your comparison makes it sound like the console can't run any software whatsoever without a developer licence.
I think he misunderstood and is thinking about the battery upgrade option where they actually sell you better batteries, not the software limitation situation.

Or he just doesn't understand similes at all.

Deleted member 667441

Trophies
XP
Im not saying you cant run any software without dev mode this discussion is about dev mode and emulators running in retail mode.

Yeah tabzer your response doesnt invalidate what i said, your last two posts prove that you are more concerned with making your point seem valid than taking other information in

One post its its about software and the next you say its not about software at all, you are all over the place

I guess you dont understand adding extra functionality because running emulators in retail mode isnt a god given right but feel free to cite another comparison to level the field in your favor

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Im not saying you cant run any software without dev mode this discussion is about dev mode and emulators running in retail mode.

Yeah tabzer your response doesnt invalidate what i said, your last two posts prove that you are more concerned with making your point seem valid than taking other information in

One post its its about software and the next you say its not about software at all, you are all over the place

I guess you dont understand adding extra functionality because running emulators in retail mode isnt a god given right but feel free to cite another comparison to level the field in your favor

When software and hardware are both capable of a function, but that function is locked behind a license (a superficial permission based limitation), buying a license is not the equivalent of buying physical wings (something that actually requires additional investment/material/work).

Despite you being an edge-lord, I still don't believe you understood @Ondrashek06's point. Buying a license is not the same as buying wings for a car. The license is superficial gatekeeping, and the wings are necessary.

Shame on me for trying to understand you, but the inconsistency started with you, which is why there was an attempt on my part. Good luck!

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: smileyhead

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope XBox Series consoles get hacked to kingdom come...
Yeah, besides the Switch, this generation of consoles hasn't really had me all that excited.

Ps5 is still just as restricted as the ps4, which already nuked any lingering appeal I had to the Sony environment. The ease of adding storage is a point in its favor, but none of the PlayStation exclusives ever get me to want the thing rather than wait to have it on PC. I'd only want a jailbroken ps5 because then it'd be easier to enable at least SOME meaningful backwards compatibility, referring to the functional ps2 emulator Sony disabled by default.

The series x, when it was so easy to sideload apps, was the go to of the two, with backwards compatibility with original and 360 games being a huge pair of points in its favor. But on the flip side, the proprietary storage situation I knew was absolutely going to be a problem. And now this move is making it harder to even make the effort to get one at all. In terms of drm, it seems I'd be better off just snagging a One X and upgrading it's internal storage if anything.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me Xbox brand became a joke starting with Xbox One, and it hasn't improved at all with Series X. Original Xbox and 360 were good consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids +1