Dolphin emulator gets a UWP port for Xbox Series S/X

1674500832763.png

The famous Gamecube and Wii emulator, Dolphin, has been updated to run as a UWP (Universal Windows Platform) application, which makes it compatible with the Xbox Series S/X console (and even Xbox One consoles, but to a lesser compatibility and performance degree). The developers of Dolphin have previously worked on a beta release (v1.0.0), which added UWP support to the emulator to run on Xbox Series consoles, and as of December, 2022, the emulator now has a stable release in UWP format.

Previously, the only methods of running Dolphin on an Xbox Series console was to either install an unofficial UWP port of the emulator into the console (which is shady on its own to the app not being the officially coded one by Dolphin's devs), or go the RetroArch route and get Dolphin as a core for it, and while using RA with the Dolphin core was a good way to cover any Gamecube/Wii needs on Xbox Series consoles, the core itself is greatly lagging behind in terms of features and updated versions of the standalone Dolphin emulator. With the UWP port, users can now have all the perks, updates and features of the latest Dolphin emulator in their Xbox Series consoles.

For those interested, the UWP version of the emulator is available in SirMangler's Dolphin fork GitHub page under the "Releases" tab,, with the official Dolphin repository finishing the last touchups on a Pull Request for the eventual merge of the UWP port. The latest UWP update having the following changelog:

Changelog said:
  • New ingame setting menu! Press Left Stick + View to access!
  • Ability to change the dolphin settings folder, from within the in-game menu.
  • Added a few missing file formats to the picker, including elf, wad and json.
  • Minor improvements and changes.

:arrow: Source

V800

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I always use either wad, iso or wbfs with dolphin. What are elf and json for?

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always use either wad, iso or wbfs with dolphin. What are elf and json for?
I have no idea about json but homebrew for the GCN/Wii are typically distributed as elf binaries.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. There's a dolphin core with Retroarch, but it does have noticeable bugs. My computer is down or else I'd check this out. :)

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
How about a standalone Dreamcast emulator? Dreamcast games look as good as Gamecube games but Flycast is way less of a ram hog that Dolphin.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Interesting. There's a dolphin core with Retroarch, but it does have noticeable bugs. My computer is down or else I'd check this out. :)

If you have the extra space on your PC or an extra HD just install Linux and run Dolphin from there. For Windows you need Windows 10 or 11 for the standalone version of Dolphin. Need at least 8 GB of Ram for decent Dolphin performance and at least 16 GB if you wanna try texture packs.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto