Dolphin emulator gets a UWP port for Xbox Series S/X

1674500832763.png

The famous Gamecube and Wii emulator, Dolphin, has been updated to run as a UWP (Universal Windows Platform) application, which makes it compatible with the Xbox Series S/X console (and even Xbox One consoles, but to a lesser compatibility and performance degree). The developers of Dolphin have previously worked on a beta release (v1.0.0), which added UWP support to the emulator to run on Xbox Series consoles, and as of December, 2022, the emulator now has a stable release in UWP format.

Previously, the only methods of running Dolphin on an Xbox Series console was to either install an unofficial UWP port of the emulator into the console (which is shady on its own to the app not being the officially coded one by Dolphin's devs), or go the RetroArch route and get Dolphin as a core for it, and while using RA with the Dolphin core was a good way to cover any Gamecube/Wii needs on Xbox Series consoles, the core itself is greatly lagging behind in terms of features and updated versions of the standalone Dolphin emulator. With the UWP port, users can now have all the perks, updates and features of the latest Dolphin emulator in their Xbox Series consoles.

For those interested, the UWP version of the emulator is available in SirMangler's Dolphin fork GitHub page under the "Releases" tab,, with the official Dolphin repository finishing the last touchups on a Pull Request for the eventual merge of the UWP port. The latest UWP update having the following changelog:

Changelog said:
  • New ingame setting menu! Press Left Stick + View to access!
  • Ability to change the dolphin settings folder, from within the in-game menu.
  • Added a few missing file formats to the picker, including elf, wad and json.
  • Minor improvements and changes.

:arrow: Source

misticknight1

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you meant to just got a black screen when you load a game on the latest update ? That’s what’s happening with me TP been loading for like 2 minutes atm. The old one at least the progress bar showed it hasn’t crashed.

Edit

Found out the problem for anyone else doesn’t know, on an XSS you need to set your console setting to 1080p or less. If you select 4K no matter what dolphin setting you use you’ll always get a blank screen.

Thank you whoever is behind this emulator :) games are running absolutely beautifully and the new menu is 10/10. Feels like I’m playing on my hacked Wii but even better.

Last edited by misticknight1,

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not have the "security" Tab shown here:

how to make games show up under dolphin?

EDIT: Made it work by formatting to NTFS which seems to be mandatory AND doing all the annoying security tab things. It would be great if that could be fixed. it is certainly possible since retroarch loads fine from EXFAT and without the need for fiddling around with security tabs on windows (which is not even possible on exfat since there is no permissions security tab).

that would be a great plus for convenience (loading from exfat AND not having to hack through file permissions). so long great work.

p.s.: can shader stutters be fixed someday?

Another Bug found: shaders are always compiled again each start. Why are they not saved and reloaded?

Last edited by naddel81,

snakebar897

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone please tell me how to change the controls? In the Mario Galaxy games there doesn’t seem to be a button for “shake wiimote” and I’m not seeing an option t9 change controls in the emulator config menus.

taker-`

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey,
Once dolphin is installed as a normal app, not in devmode, how does it get updates? Do I need to copy New files, or does it update by itself?

Sorry, I am new to Emulation on Xbox. But I guess I will give it a try on my Series X. :)

vaderag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you meant to just got a black screen when you load a game on the latest update ? That’s what’s happening with me TP been loading for like 2 minutes atm. The old one at least the progress bar showed it hasn’t crashed.

Edit

Found out the problem for anyone else doesn’t know, on an XSS you need to set your console setting to 1080p or less. If you select 4K no matter what dolphin setting you use you’ll always get a blank screen.

Thank you whoever is behind this emulator :) games are running absolutely beautifully and the new menu is 10/10. Feels like I’m playing on my hacked Wii but even better.

Totally right... I got it to work once when set to 4k but after that just black screen on everything... that needs a fix! What's the point in being able to set 4k resolution if I can't actually use it!!

ManuMaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can someone please tell me how to change the controls? In the Mario Galaxy games there doesn’t seem to be a button for “shake wiimote” and I’m not seeing an option t9 change controls in the emulator config menus.

I have the same problem, who can help?

Ukulele82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi there, just installed Dolphin in retail mode on Series X. Are the chickups normal or I have to change something in the settings? I have only three games: Mario Sunshine, Windwaker and Metroid Prime 2. All of them drop frames from 30/60 to 4-20 randomly. No HD textures installed, no mods, just standard retail games.

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have the same problem, who can help?
I informed the developer. It's because there is no controller configuration window and the Wii Remote is the only controller that is emulated, so an option to remap buttons and to select the Classic Controller that is similar to the Xbox controller should be added. Not all games support the Classic Controller but many do and it has more buttons and the default configuration makes more sense without a Wii Remote. I have Wii Remotes but they don't work with Xbox because Xbox uses Xbox Wireless and not Bluetooth.

Examples of issues:

Mario Kart Wii, mapping is weird because B is for drifting and RT if for items. The "shake" is not emulated so it's impossible to do tricks and get rid of the cloud item. The pointer is forced into the middle so if you press A after a race, you watch the replay by default.

Super Mario Galaxy 2, the second player is emulated without a second controller connected, so you always see the second-player pointer and you also get a prompt at the start that the second player must accept to continue playing, even when there is no second controller to press A and accept.

EDIT:

I found this video for setting up Dolphin on Xbox:

Last edited by Waveracer,

seany1990

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On your usb go to...
Go to Advanced...
Where is this? Windows? Xbox? Dolphin?
Because i've manually searched through all 3 and I cannot see where to do this

edit: found it (I'll leave this up for anybody else who might be confused)
On windows 10/11 -> my computer -> right click usb -> properties -> security tab -> Advanced -> ...

Last edited by seany1990,

Shadowspike74

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't get my controller to work no matter what I do. no matter if I start fresh. Inport settings form the pc version or anything. everytime I wanna play a game on the UWP port. the controller refuses to work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up