Microsoft is now suspending users who use Retail Mode emulators on their Xbox consoles

xbawks.png

After a short-lived return, it appears as though Microsoft has put an end to running emulators on Xbox Series X|S consoles via retail mode for good. The developers behind UWeaPons, the workaround to loading emulators on Xbox's Retail Mode, had their consoles permanently banned by Microsoft. Additionally, users caught using UWeaPons on their system are receiving 15-day suspensions. It's now recommended that if you installed any retail mode emulators, you remove them from your console.

:arrow: Source

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure they were losing a significant amount of money, because of these emulators.
I'm guessing its more to do with the worry that running homebrew code in retail mode could lead to an exploit being discovered. While it sucks to lose retail mode options at least they do offer a mode that can run homebrew officially, unlike everyone else.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a group of people decided to do the exact thing Microsoft publicly blocked, with the only change they even attempted to make being that the app has an obfuscated name they thought wouldn't be noticed?

No wonder they got their access removed, anyone doing this after Microsoft publicly revoked access instead of just using dev mode was taking a gamble anyways. Good thing users aren't getting permabans at least.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing its more to do with the worry that running homebrew code in retail mode could lead to an exploit being discovered.

Charging $2 per month through Patreon for access probably got a bunch of heat from MS. They are lucky the only thing being tossed around are ban hammers.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
No shit... People screwed around, broke TOS, and are now paying the consequences.. Has nothing to do with corporate greed, just consumer stupidity (as usual).

Last edited by Kioku,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No shit... People screwed around, broke TOS, and are now paying the consequences.. Has nothing to do with greed, just consumer stupidity (as usual).
Yeah I think they made it pretty clear what their stance was on retail mode emulators after removing them all from the app store. Not that I agree with that stance, but take the hint.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah I think they made it pretty clear what their stance was on retail mode emulators after removing them all from the app store. Not that I agree with that stance, but take the hint.
I don’t exactly know what the big deal about running them in Retail mode even is. Just use Dev mode - Microsoft was already nice enough to provide a developer environment for end users. This is just about the best outcome short of completely unlocking the console for amateur devs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps