Microsoft is now suspending users who use Retail Mode emulators on their Xbox consoles

xbawks.png

After a short-lived return, it appears as though Microsoft has put an end to running emulators on Xbox Series X|S consoles via retail mode for good. The developers behind UWeaPons, the workaround to loading emulators on Xbox's Retail Mode, had their consoles permanently banned by Microsoft. Additionally, users caught using UWeaPons on their system are receiving 15-day suspensions. It's now recommended that if you installed any retail mode emulators, you remove them from your console.

:arrow: Source

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
oh they were charging for amulation? serves them right mic stopped them than :lol:
I wonder how Yuzu gets away with it, since Nintendo are known for their DMCA takedowns and lawsuits.
This is why I'm morally okay with people pirating Microsoft software and buying Windows keys from "unauthorized" resellers.

Can you run retail games though? I can't imagine many people want to have to switch between dev and retail modes. Also that might get your credit card locked. It happens enough when you use your card in another city in your state (or province).

That's really all they can do. The fact is they sell the consoles in a lot of territories where if they tried to sue people for doing it they'd rule in favour of the defendant like in the Wii homebrew era lawsuits, then Microsoft would have to let people do what they want with their consoles or pull their stuff from some of the countries in the Americas and Europe.
Using your card online is not the same as using your card in another country. Over here, you can set which regions your card should be usable in, by default it's blocked in China but it doesn't prevent you from buying things from AliExpress. Online purchases are not really associated with any region or country.
However, it's very common for companies, especially ones that do regional pricing, to block cards that are not issued in the same country as your shop region, usually it's not as simple as just using a VPN.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I... don't think Tesla is a good example, nor anything ever touched by Elon Musk
You do know that the Musk Tesla isn't the only Tesla, right? And that DC electricity was invented before Elon Musk was even born?
Post automatically merged:

I wonder how Yuzu gets away with it
Because Yuzu uses absolutely ZERO Nintendo code or assets. They require you to source your own keys and firmware. Dolphin was booted from Steam because it included the Nintendo keys.

Reactions: AndorfRequissa

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
You all realize you can just sideload apps into Dev Mode right?
That's besides the point. The point is that Microsoft pulled a switcharoo all of a sudden after unlocking emulators in retail mode. Not to mention, Dev Mode has a price, so it seems a bit greedy to not lock those apps there as well.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
That's besides the point. The point is that Microsoft pulled a switcharoo all of a sudden after unlocking emulators in retail mode. Not to mention, Dev Mode has a price, so it seems a bit greedy to not lock those apps there as well.

Was it ever officially allowed on retail mode? I always thought it was done via loopholes and never official.

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I... don't think Tesla is a good example, nor anything ever touched by Elon Musk
lol sorry but i dont know how u got elon musk in this unless u dont know history at all. musk had 0 to do with DC power and its invention. Musk is not Telsa. Musk is just playing off the name of a great mind and sadly market research that shows low IQ people will attach everything the real Tesla did to the name musk created so he gets credited in low iqs minds even when the reference and mention of Tesla is not in anyway referenced to the name steal to use as a car company. but thats most humans for you and why research like that has proven to the unethical as a smart business method to con low IQ folks into doing exactly what they want with their branding.

Last edited by AndorfRequissa,

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how Yuzu gets away with it, since Nintendo are known for their DMCA takedowns and lawsuits.

Using your card online is not the same as using your card in another country. Over here, you can set which regions your card should be usable in, by default it's blocked in China but it doesn't prevent you from buying things from AliExpress. Online purchases are not really associated with any region or country.
However, it's very common for companies, especially ones that do regional pricing, to block cards that are not issued in the same country as your shop region, usually it's not as simple as just using a VPN.
My card has absolutely been locked for using it online in my country to purchase from a seller on the other side of the same country. My bank even explicitly told me this.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My card has absolutely been locked for using it online in my country to purchase from a seller on the other side of the same country. My bank even explicitly told me this.
It can happen, but more so because they thought the transaction looked suspicious than anything else, basically if they notice purchases that don't match your typical usage pattern.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at least Microsoft has a path to allow you to run unsigned software on their consoles. I understand them not wanting people to run emulators on retail mode. IMHO, I think it would be a good idea to just deal with dev mode instead of constantly poking the retail mode bull and ultimately ruining it for the rest of us. I can definitely see Xbox getting PO'd with constant circumvention and ultimately killing off dev mode too. I know this is very anti-freedom, but be thankful that microsoft is at least allowing people to run unsigned code in a non-exploitative, legal way. I don't see Sony or Nintendo doing this anytime soon.

If you don't like it, vote with your wallet and don't buy an Xbox. Buy hardware without an OS and load Linux instead. No ToS breaks, no exploits/security circumvention required. With the people getting upset about not being able to use their hardware the way they want, unfortunately, you don't really own your hardware, and Microsoft makes sure of that by including their ToS

Reactions: dudeguy2022

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States

No, people were uploading those emulators against the terms of service.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why this is still such a struggle for people... We were literally told not to do this in retail mode. We tried anyway and broke ToS. That is why people are getting banned. Microsoft literally offers the user a method to run their own homebrew. How about we actually use what they are offering?

Reactions: n00bsaib0t

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Personally, I like to have something to complain about. It makes me feel relevant. Is that not good enough of a reason?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol