Michigan anti-bullying law allows bullying of gay students

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A new anti-bullying law passed by the Michigan Senate this week could be harmful to gay, lesbian or transgender students, advocates say.
It's so weak that even the family of the bullying victim for whom the bill is named is "ashamed" of it, the Detroit News reported.
"Matt's Safe School Law", named for 14-year-old Matt Epling who committed suicide in 2008 after being bullied by his classmates, includes a provision specifically noting that the law doesn't prohibit expression of religious or moral viewpoints.
"I'm ashamed of this law," Matt's father, Kevin Epling, said in a video posted on YouTube. "They have tarnished the person whom it is named after. It does not reflect our beliefs nor Matt's beliefs."
In an impassioned speech on the senate floor posted on the Huffington Post, Democrat Gretchen Whitmer slammed the bill as "outlining how to get away with bullying."
"As passed today, bullying kids is OK if a student, parent, teacher or school employee can come up with a moral or religious reason for doing it."
The bill's sponsor, Sen. Rick Jones, said that the bill was meant to get each school district to write their own anti-bullying policy.
He told the newspaper there was no intent in the bill to allow the bullying of gay students.
"Certainly a child should not be allowed to go up to another child and say he's going to hell," the Republican state senator told the paper.
In addition to Michigan officials, gay activists across the country — and even gossip columnist Perez Hilton — have slammed the bill.
"What a MAJOR step in the wrong direction! We are disgusted!" Hilton wrote.

Source:NY Daily News
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/michigan-anti-bullying-law-bullying-gay-students-activists-article-1.972241?localLinksEnabled=false

Opinions???????

TrapperKeeperX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my god this is just the most offensive thing I ever heard who ever came up with this decision is the biggest bigoted dipshit named Rick Jones! If people do commit suicide because they say it's ok to bully them I blame them for their suicide and I will tell them they're nothing more than murderers and they should all die they would be better if they were dead. People like them are just Inferior Human Beings they deserve to die. "As passed today, bullying kids is OK if a student, parent, teacher or school employee can come up with a moral or religious reason for doing it." This quote pisses me off the most. A Bible thumping ass hole would say this and you know what god doesn't exist Why should they believe in a magic talking Dead Guy/Zombie/Dracula/Vampire or whatever it is that say this stuff out of religious reasons Religion just became stupider than usual those who use religion for hatred are all retards that believe in a dead guy who created the world 2011 Years ago and still think it's the 1950's it's 2011 get with the time already it's not 1950 only stupid people think it's the 1950's with their ass backward ways.

Reactions: 1 person

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No the intent of the law isn't bad. It's that damn line that tries to exempt homophobic christian teachers and students from pretty much being punished.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the intent to decrease bullying is good, but it explicitly gives a way to get away with it. If the case has something to do with immorality or goes against a certain religion, you are totally vulnerable against bullying. Additionally, the target for bullying will be narrowed down to certain groups, which is discrimination against them.

The law doesn't explain which religions in general it applies to (or to be exact, it can't because if it includes one, it has to include all of them...). This brings up a problem that certain religions have different perspectives on morality and constraints. Say, if there's one religion in which certain groups of people are 'impure' and should be eliminated, that certain group of people will legally be eligible to be targeted, and bullies can come up with bs to easily get away with it.

Another problem is morality in general. Since morality is skewed by religion and other factors, the rights and wrongs of people differ largely. There's no way to evaluate if a moral is valid or invalid, unless it's common sense.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
The Flying Spaghetti Monster just told me in the latest edition of His Word that Christians are immoral, disease spreading, wicked, sinful, the cause of the collapse of society and shouldn't be allowed to practise their perverse lifestyle (especially if they're one of those flamboyant Christians that make it really obvious.) He also said it was my religious duty to inform them of these facts on a daily basis to save them and others from their evil ways, via anti-Christian songs, name calling, leaflets, excluding them from activities and daubing anti-Christian/pro-fsm graffiti on their locker.

But that's ok, because that's all protected speech in school now, yeah?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They should just tl;dr the bill, "You can't bully, unless you have a reason!"

Which is just...pure genius. Michigan has some geniuses in charge, it does.

Chikaku-chan

ᏁᎽᎪ~
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I didn't expect this much emotion. But maybe it's because I'm very tired.

Of course there would be, its a very tender subject.
Since I am infact Gay myself this makes me angry, but looking at it from the eyes of others it would still be pretty bad.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Christians will cause the demise of their own religion. I used to be Christian until I realized: "why would God allow his followers to spread hatred in his name"? He is so meticulous about right and wrong in the Bible--did he wake up one day and say **** it?

digipokemaster

Innocent Uke
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is not right the law idea is good but i dont like how they worded it im gay and proud of it and im slamming this law too i dont live in michigan but if ever came up in missouri i will slam it as well

Christians will cause the demise of their own religion. I used to be Christian until I realized: "why would God allow his followers to spread hatred in his name"? He is so meticulous about right and wrong in the Bible--did he wake up one day and say **** it?
i agree i going to church because i have to but i quit believeing in it cause if a " god " really cared about right and wrong and wants us as we are but spread this kind of hate against gays i want no part of it my whole family hates gay so i feel a lot of hate around me

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-