• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Gov. Whitmer signs law banning child marriage in Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Good, it would seem that state is safer from perverts and groomers now. All states should be the same. You can't drink until you're 21 because you are not mature enough, a child getting married at a young age (under 18) is not mature enough to look after themselves properly, never mind a family.

Although I can see why a sexual deviant would like to prey on these kids - is that why you are upset?

Vetusomaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
a child getting married at a young age (under 18) is not mature enough to look after themselves properly, never mind a family.
First of all, many parents of previous generations (including our parents) were married when they were teenagers. Also lots of people who get married and get children at adulthood and yet they're still too immature to be proper parents.
Post automatically merged:

Although I can see why a sexual deviant would like to prey on these kids - is that why you are upset?
Imagine grouping people that marry in young age with child groomers. Not to mention that most child groomers are adult married people who have married other adults or adults that aren't married.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
First of all, many parents of previous generations (including our parents) were married when they were teenagers. Also lots of people who get married and get children at adulthood and yet they're still too immature to be proper parents.

Imagine grouping people that marry in young age with child groomers. Not to mention that most child groomers are adult married people who have married other adults or adults that aren't married.
In scotland you can get married at 16, it still doesn't mean you are mature enough to vote, get drunk, get a tattoo, go on deployment with the Army to a war zone and do a great many other things. The reason that you can't do those things is because you are still growing physically and mentally.
There's places throughout the world that have child brides, some old weirdo can marry a kid and nobody bats an eyelid. I feel sorry for those kids and luckily there's some places in the world that feel the same way. Only a fucking weirdo with peodophile tendencies would think that it would be OK for grown man or woman to marry a child.

Reactions: zfreeman

Vetusomaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
In scotland you can get married at 16, it still doesn't mean you are mature enough to vote, get drunk, get a tattoo, go on deployment with the Army to a war zone and do a great many other things. The reason that you can't do those things is because you are still growing physically and mentally.
Many adults still have the mentality of a toddler, especially at old age. That's why in ancient Greece they had a saying about old men acting more babies than the actual babies. Also 16 years old is teenager, almost adult. It's a huge difference comparing with 9 years old girls that are forced to get married in certain countries.

Not to mention that only mentally immature adults get drunk, ruin their bodies with tattoos, keep voting with the delusion that voting matters and kill themselves by joining the army for the sake of war-hungry elite because you fell for the "world peace" meme.

Reactions: yumzion90

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Many adults still have the mentality of a toddler, especially at old age. That's why in ancient Greece they had a saying about old men acting more babies than the actual babies. Also 16 years old is teenager, almost adult. It's a huge difference comparing with 9 years old girls that are forced to get married in certain countries.

Not to mention that only mentally immature adults get drunk, ruin their bodies with tattoos, keep voting with the delusion that voting matters and kill themselves by joining the army for the sake of war-hungry elite because you fell for the "world peace" meme.
There's a lot of "Whataboutery" in the statement you made, lots of Adults murder people, commit serious crimes etc - WTF has that got to do with children getting married? Nothing at all in the same way as the the crap you spouted doesn't either.

These laws are made to prevent children from being abused by those that would take advantage of children, if you can't see that well the American education system is far worse than I imagined.

Last edited by mrdude,

supermist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good, it would seem that state is safer from perverts and groomers now. All states should be the same. You can't drink until you're 21 because you are not mature enough, a child getting married at a young age (under 18) is not mature enough to look after themselves properly, never mind a family.

Projection from the called out right winger 🤣🤣🤣

Clearly I've upset you

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
People should be happy about this law, it's sad that it needs to be passed but at least things will be better now in terms of marriage. I mean 18 should have been the default age of marriage since that's when you're an adult

Reactions: mrdude

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad this is happening. There's this mid-Michigan Meijer that we locals warn people of; it's not like you'll be mauled but for the love of God do not leave your child unsupervised there. Or anywhere in Lansing. You can get away with it in some places, of course, but we are way too close to the Canadian border for comfort in that regard. For years in my youth, another local grocery store had a dedicated spot on the back of its weekly grocery ad fliers for missing children, and it was a different one most weeks.

...I guess I'm just venting. The fact that locals know of a greater issue that's bled the joy out of many families, while also probably not knowing anyone directly impacted, is disturbing.

It's not about the collective maturity, it's about giving an individual the chance/time to learn who they are, for themselves. If you fail to grow as a person in that regard, it becomes your problem at that point. - Someone who is in a happy, committed relationship, but regrets not giving myself more time as a loner. I was 15 when my joyful cesspool began.

Vetusomaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Ya when will ppl smarten up and stop using the tiniest crumb of choice they are given. The outcome will certainly be glorious.
Voting only gives you the delusion of choice, since elections are rigged and all politicians still follow the same agenda even if they pretend being rivals.

People should be happy about this law, it's sad that it needs to be passed but at least things will be better now in terms of marriage. I mean 18 should have been the default age of marriage since that's when you're an adult
Meanwhile same states that ban marriage of minors also want to bring back child labor. Therefore they don't actually give a shit about children.

There's a lot of "Whataboutery" in the statement you made.
Stating facts is "Whataboutery"? Lol!

These laws are made to prevent children from being abused by those that would take advantage of children.
Nice "Whataboutery" argument there. Lol! Also teenager isn't child.

Last edited by Vetusomaru,

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Meanwhile same states that ban marriage of minors also want to bring back child labor. Therefore they don't actually give a shit about children.
Is it really child labor? Or it's an importunity for teenagers to make some bucks and learn the way jobs work? Believe me, if I could have worked when I was 14 in order to help my family I would have gladly done it, so I don't see it as an absolute bad things to let them work

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Stating facts is "Whataboutery"? Lol!
The Rubic's cube was invented in 1974, that's a fact - it's got bugger all to do with the age of child marriage though, much in the same way as your poor attempt to divert the conversation to things unrelated was.

If you're too mentally immature to comprehend why this law has been made, then it's people like you that it's protecting, or it's protecting these kids from people like you.

Last edited by mrdude,
Reactions: zekro94

Vetusomaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Is it really child labor? Or it's an importunity for teenagers to make some bucks and learn the way jobs work? Believe me, if I could have worked when I was 14 in order to help my family I would have gladly done it, so I don't see it as an absolute bad things to let them work
So making children work is fine but letting them marry is "abuse"? Yeah, no double standards here.

I don't want to hear "Think about a children!" crap from a country that allows male babies circumcision and murdering children in other countries with the wars they support/start.

Reactions: yumzion90

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
So making children work is fine but letting them marry is "abuse"? Yeah, no double standards here.

I don't want to hear "Think about a children!" crap from a country that allows male babies circumcision and murdering children in other countries with the wars they support/start.
It's not making them work, it's letting them have a choice. In regards to marriage being abuse, do you know there are some deranged people who might marry minors because it's legal? Like it was repeatedly pointed out, teenagers can't really make good decision and when it comes to marriage someone else does it for them. So yeah, it is about protecting children.
Now male circumcision: I always disliked that, let people have circumcision when they're adults and can make a choice, not when they're babies

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Every kid went berry picking in the summer, potato picking in autumn, had a milk or paper round, worked part time in a shop etc when I was young. I suppose that could be classed as child labour - but we got paid for it and did it willingly and voluntarily.
The youth of today are weak and pathetic and just want everyhting handed to them. They (westerners generally) have never had to suffer the consequences of their actions or have known life without the welfare system - they are in for a big wake up shock soon!

Last edited by mrdude,

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Every kid went berry picking in the summer, potato picking in autumn, had a milk or paper round, worked part time in a shop etc when I was young. I suppose that's could be classed as child labour - but we got paid for it and did it willingly and voluntarily.
The youth of today are weak and pathetic and just want everyhting handed to them. They (westerners generally) have never had to suffer the consequences of their actions or have known life without the welfare system - they are in for a big wake up shock soon!
That's the thing, people were paid so they did it voluntarily, however some are accusing it as if it's slavery or something. I had to go potato picking because my family had land but I never got paid since "They were giving me food and clothes and live" there. I wanted to work when I was 14 since that may have helped us in a way that meant not moving to another country (I know the law wouldn't allow full time but still it would be some help for some families). I felt powerless, so giving teenagers the chance and choice to work is a reasonable thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye