• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Gov. Whitmer signs law banning child marriage in Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Drag queens and family friendly don't quite seem to go together. For me personally, if there are clubs or bars with drag queens and people decide to take their kids there willingly that's their problem, since it's a private thing and it's not shoved. But having it in public spaces....eh...better not. Why is it that if someone has an opinion about this matter the most used answer from the lgbtq people is "go to a therapist"? I never said to anyone to go to a therapist (well, to depressed people but you know they need it)
Dressing up in clothes of the other gender for theatrical purposes goes back to well before the greeks popularized it in their dramas, makeup similarly has a very long history in theater to help exaggerate facial expressions and features so they're easier to read for the audience sitting further away. None of that is inherently sexual.
The reason the advice is given to go unpack stuff like that with a therapist is generally because those people are specialized in finding little hidden knots in people's psyche and can help untangle them in a healthy way. Feeling that something is "sexual" when it doesn't involve anything sexual is one of those things that can point towards some bad memories or even hidden trauma, and it might be a good idea to have someone poke at it, particularly if it's someone that knows what they're doing.
And no, therapists aren't only there to help with depression, they have a wide range of uses and problems they can help tackle.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Dressing up in clothes of the other gender for theatrical purposes goes back to well before the greeks popularized it in their dramas, makeup similarly has a very long history in theater to help exaggerate facial expressions and features so they're easier to read for the audience sitting further away. None of that is inherently sexual.
The reason the advice is given to go unpack stuff like that with a therapist is generally because those people are specialized in finding little hidden knots in people's psyche and can help untangle them in a healthy way. Feeling that something is "sexual" when it doesn't involve anything sexual is one of those things that can point towards some bad memories or even hidden trauma, and it might be a good idea to have someone poke at it, particularly if it's someone that knows what they're doing.
And no, therapists aren't only there to help with depression, they have a wide range of uses and problems they can help tackle.
As you said, theatre. But drag queens don't usually do theatre, and if I went to a play at a theatre where a man was playing a woman or a woman was playing a man I wouldn't have a problem with that, heck I would want to go to a kabuki theatre in japan if you've seen their make up. And indeed, it's not sexual, drag queens, however, are and have been for a long time.
The thing about therapist is that people use it in the sense "you have a screw loose, go see a therapist since my reality is the correct one" kind of way, like it's saying that I can't have an opinion and I have to change just because someone else wants it. Also therapist are also humans, they can make mistakes while treating you (like saying you might be gay when in fact you never where or never will be (personal experience)) I know that therapist are used for other problems but I said it because I don't say "you need a therapist" to someone even if that someone is not like me/has different views (like for example someone gay or bi or trans). So for me when people from the lgbtq say that I need to go see a therapist, it doesn't feel like something said in a well intended way, but in a "you will think like us or else you're crazy" (I'm not saying it that you intended it that way but it feels like that whenever someone says it)

Reactions: HalfScoper

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As you said, theatre. But drag queens don't usually do theatre, and if I went to a play at a theatre where a man was playing a woman or a woman was playing a man I wouldn't have a problem with that, heck I would want to go to a kabuki theatre in japan if you've seen their make up. And indeed, it's not sexual, drag queens, however, are and have been for a long time.
The thing about therapist is that people use it in the sense "you have a screw loose, go see a therapist since my reality is the correct one" kind of way, like it's saying that I can't have an opinion and I have to change just because someone else wants it. Also therapist are also humans, they can make mistakes while treating you (like saying you might be gay when in fact you never where or never will be (personal experience)) I know that therapist are used for other problems but I said it because I don't say "you need a therapist" to someone even if that someone is not like me/has different views (like for example someone gay or bi or trans). So for me when people from the lgbtq say that I need to go see a therapist, it doesn't feel like something said in a well intended way, but in a "you will think like us or else you're crazy" (I'm not saying it that you intended it that way but it feels like that whenever someone says it)
Theatre doesn't need to be confined to a stage, or specifically only happen based on some screenplay or another. Dressing up, pretending to be a character, and telling stories are things humans have done since forever, in various places and contexts. This is the exact same thing as it always has been, just that a bunch of people are very upset because some pundits decided to make them the newest culture war target because they're "challenging gender norms" for dressing in clothes generally associated with the opposite gender and putting on garish makeup.
If you look at the history of drag in modern western society you'll see it literally started in theaters, cabaret, and other similar entertainment. Nothing about it was sexual apart from playing up certain stereotypes, those same stereotypes that are readily shown in any form of advertising or other media since forever, and are still acceptable and viewed as family friendly.
Sure there are also more raunchy performances but those are always clearly labeled as such, similar to all other raunchy entertainment. People that can't be bothered to read even the synopsis of the play they're about to watch aren't exactly who we should make legislation around.

As for the therapist thing, that's fair, I've seen people use it as a PC version of calling someone mentally unfit, but I did mean it in the genuine way that seeing things as sexual that aren't sexual is something that might need poking at. They're not infallible but the chances of success are still higher with a trained professional than a layman doing it themselves. That's true for nearly any field, be it aircraft, computers, or anything else that's complex.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I feel like this shouldn’t have needed to happen but considering some states are trying to bring back child labor and pushing questionable marriage laws that leave loopholes for child marriages and creepy laws wanting to inspect child’s junk, I am sad that this law needed to be said

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
Given your history this has to be projection.

You're demonstrating that you're far more concerned about the drag queens than the mountains of evidence against Republican sexual misconduct against children.

This is what cognitive dissonance is.

I never said any of that, you're grasping at straws. Are you a liberal or something?

Reactions: HalfScoper

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
I'm intelligent and informed yes

It's good to know where you stand as I love putting liberals on ignore.
Post automatically merged:

I feel like this shouldn’t have needed to happen but considering some states are trying to bring back child labor and pushing questionable marriage laws that leave loopholes for child marriages and creepy laws wanting to inspect child’s junk, I am sad that this law needed to be said

No one wants to physically inspect children's "junk". Republicans simply want to know what sex you were born as because it's delusional to think you can change your birth sex. All that happens is you're hopped up on drugs that make you feel like a women or man and then there's the genital mutilation. I can't believe you would claim that the genital mutilation is somehow fine yet simply looking at them isn't. Not that I'm advocating either, mind you.

Last edited by Deleted member 559230,

supermist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's good to know where you stand as I love putting liberals on ignore.

No one wants to physically inspect children's "junk". Republicans simply want to know what sex you were born as because it's delusional to think you can change your birth sex. All that happens is you're hopped up on drugs that make you feel like a women or man and then there's the genital mutilation. I can't believe you would claim that the genital mutilation is somehow fine yet simply looking at them isn't. Not that I'm advocating either, mind you.
I literally proved you wrong on this.

What is it with the MAGA bigot types here who have to ignore liberals?

And they accuse us of needing safe spaces

Cylent1

Community Smart Ass!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I agree, the perverts are certainly upset about it and try to do their best to stop actual efforts to protect children.
They seem to be everywhere nowadays!
These people are mentally ill and should be treated as such!

I literally proved you wrong on this.

What is it with the MAGA bigot types here who have to ignore liberals?

And they accuse us of needing safe spaces
You forgot crayons and your blanky!

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So a few things, how are they going to accomplish any of that? Where did the genital mutilation come from? And what the fuck are you on about?
Seriously, you made so many leaps that I am shocked you aren't in the Olympics.
Edit: Also, why is this topic even about LGBT+ in the first place?

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Because Republicans need a scapegoat for all the pedophilia various sects of Christianity are responsible for.
It's just impressive how quickly they leaped from "banning child marriages" to this nonsense topic about the LGBT+. Kind of starting to feel like a projection at this point. It's honestly impressive how quickly these culture war-poisoned users jump from topic to topic with their absolutely unfounded nonsense.

Last edited by The Catboy,

supermist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just impressive how quickly they leaped from "banning child marriages" to this nonsense topic about the LGBT+. Kind of starting to feel like a projection at this point. It's honestly impressive how quickly these culture war-poisoned users jump from topic to topic with their absolutely unfounded nonsense.
It was absolutely projection once the usual suspects attempted to equate it

Reactions: The Catboy

Deleted member 672055

Trophies
XP
as a passerby who happens to be LGBT it's fucking crazy how this 'war' is even a thing

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
So a few things, how are they going to accomplish any of that? Where did the genital mutilation come from? And what the fuck are you on about?
Seriously, you made so many leaps that I am shocked you aren't in the Olympics.
Edit: Also, why is this topic even about LGBT+ in the first place?

They are trying to make deviant behaviors the norm and are doing so by starting with influencing our youth as they know most adults won't put up with their shit. I don't have to accept anybody I don't want to. The genital mutilation is what doctors do to some transsexuals that want a vagina. However, they don't end up with an actual vagina nor do the drugs actually make them the opposite sex.

You are right though about the topic. It's about child marriage and like I've previously stated I think it's wrong and I'm glad its being addressed.

Because Republicans need a scapegoat for all the pedophilia various sects of Christianity are responsible for.

First of all I'm not a Republican. Second of all if I was a Republican I wouldn't be responsible for other peoples actions. There's plenty of sick leftists that abuse children too. It's not a partisan thing.

Deleted member 672055

Trophies
XP
They are trying to make deviant behaviors the norm and are doing so by starting with influencing our youth as they know most adults won't put up with their shit. I don't have to accept anybody I don't want to. The genital mutilation is what doctors do to some transsexuals that want a vagina. However, they don't end up with an actual vagina nor do the drugs actually make them the opposite sex.
grandpa take your meds and quit bringing up your projections re: LGBT on topics that got nothing to do with it

...but i'm talking to a lunatic hamburger, can't expect an ounce of intellect here

supermist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You are right though about the topic. It's about child marriage and like I've previously stated I think it's wrong and I'm glad its being addressed.

First of all I'm not a Republican. Second of all if I was a Republican I wouldn't be responsible for other peoples actions. There's plenty of sick leftists that abuse children too. It's not a partisan thing.
This guy has posted in support of Trump on more than one occasion.

MAGAs are known for gaslighting though

Reactions: The Catboy and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There's plenty of sick leftists that abuse children too. It's not a partisan thing.
Individually, not a partisan issue, no. Systemically and institutionally, absolutely a partisan issue. An attempt to focus the spotlight on the LGBTQ+ community as a whole is an attempt to take the spotlight off of known offenders like the Catholic church. Then you've got elected Republicans like Lauren Boebert giving out handjobs in front of kids, and Matt Gaetz sex trafficking teenagers.

If they want people to take their moral outrage seriously, they need to establish some actual morals first.

Reactions: The Catboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ NIntendo pretty much has to release a new console by next year in order to keep making moneys imo
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ninty can still make money filing false DMCAs.
    +1
    they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid prime 4 to the next console because by now it has been quite a while and there's no release date scheduled yet
    lol there's a guy selling mig switch in usa on ebay for $200/ea he's definitely going to get nailed with dmca by tomorrow
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Wasn't Metroid Prime 4 teased all the way back in 2017? For the switch no less?
    :rofl2:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Pretty sure anyone buying the switch just for that got duped
    for $200? rofl.
    well as far as metroid prime 4 is concerned, the next system probably is similar enough to the current gen they can probably easily just slap it onto a next gen cart and call it good :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The switch was about 350 in 2017
  • Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0:
    mabe where you live
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima took the stage at the outset to reveal that Switch will launch globally on March 3, 2017 for $299.99—earlier than some had expected at the price many suspected. https://time.com/4632820/nintendo-switch-nx/
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The NES launched at like 250 and the rob and light gun kit was like 350 or something
    I was near the test market for the NES and man did it make my 2600 look like ass lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    There has to be some mutual agreement with them all anything over $600 is just pc territory
    next system rumored to launch at $400
    but I don't really believe any rumors yet
    need to have official info from N
    The 3DO and Neo Geo where like 700 bucks hmm the PS3 was stupid expensive at launch lol
    But at least the PS3 was only 500 for the cheapest one at launch
    My opinion is that 199.99 is the sweet spot but that spot is long gone lol
    Just played some Micheal Jackson Moonwalker.... Those poor parents trying desperately to protect their children
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    400 is a decent sweet spot if we get enough out of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how it was when we were locked down to a few options and that's it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's not like how it was when we were locked down to a few options and that's it