Hacking metroid prime trilogy freeze

kurnis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have a metroid prime trilogy image (which i can run successfully through usbloadergx, by selecting an alt dol. just fine). Im playing the first metroid prime of the trilogy, and the problem is that im about 2 hours in and it crashes every once in a while at random places. sometimes ill be playing and it will suddenly just fade to black (not instantly, but it actually fades over about 2 seconds), and then other times it will just freeze.

I just updated the ios 249 to the most recent one i could find, but im not sure what else could help. Im a little fuzzy on which ios's you need for which programs and which ones to get for those spots. Pimp my wii looks tempting but i hear so many negative things about it, and that you should do everything manually, but im never sure what is necessary. any help would be greatly appreciated.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't mess with Brick My Wii, or GX for that matter.

Use the latest version of Configurable USB Loader (make sure you delete "SD:\usb-loader\" first) with cIOS 249[56]d2x v6. You can get both through ModMii.

With those two, you no longer have to use the alt. dol method. You can play the game regularly.

kurnis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol. WOW. if this is true i LOVE YOU. ill be back after trying this and let u know
biggrin.gif

kurnis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so when installing cIOS 249 d2x v6 (which i actually grabbed from the main page sticky, lol) it asks which spot i want to install it into. I picked 249 (seems like the default for pretty much anything) but do i also want to install it anywhere else?

lol, sorry if i seem a little helpless. Ive been running homebrew for a while but the finer points of ios's and their mechanics and usage still escapes me. Sometimes im amazed my wii still runs with all the ios's, mios's, wads, and dols on there.

kurnis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, now im really confused. base 57 and 38. Im assuming these are separate downloads? if so, neither of them are the cIOS 249[56] d2x?

and install them to 250 and 248? nothing goes into 249?

but ive already installed it to 249, is that bad?

again, thank you for your help!
smile.gif

edit: ooooo, i just saw "system check" in your sig. maybe ill run that and see what ive done. ive been modding this wii (and obviously doing it in ignorance) for quite a while.

kurnis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah. ok, so installing 56 to 249 is good. thank god, haha.

my wife is playing harry potter on the wii atm, lol. once i can pry her off of it ill run the syscheck.

while we are in this "teaching phase", i might as well ask the difference between an ios and a mios. and what goes where?

i swear i read several tutorials on this, (which is how i installed everything) but they always tell you what to do without saying why, which leaves you unable to fix or tweak, much less understand. many thanks.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Just about everything runs on an IOS. That includes games, channels, and the System Menu. There is only one MIOS. It's the IOS that gamecube games run off of.

A cIOS is a modification of a regular IOS. Depending on what IOS you pick (the base IOS), it will have different levels of compatibility. Base 38 works with the most homebrew, but has limited compatibility with USB loading. Base 56 works with almost all games, but not as much homebrew. There are a few games that only work with base 57, like Black Ops and Conduit 2.

Each IOS/cIOS is installed into a slot. 249 is the most common slot for USB loading and homebrew. There are a number of slots you can install a cIOS to, so you will be able to have multiple bases. If you have more questions, just ask.

kurnis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so I installed 57 to 250 and 38 to 248 using the CiosX tool stickied in this forum. (used v6 if that matters). It was simpler than loading the .wads from Modmii, at least for me.

I ran syscheck (2.1 didnt work, errored out, so i used 2.0.1), but how do i save the file so I can load it on here? It shows me all the info, but the only options i have are shut down, homebrew, and system menu. does it automatically save to the SD card somewhere automatically? im looking but i cant find anything new on it.

edit: also, HOLY CRAP its working without the alt. dol method! wanna know something funny? since i didnt know that i had to install to 249 from base 56, i think my 249 ios was an older one. when i first ran the new ios, it starts off asking which ios you want to use, so i clicked 249, which was default, but i never clicked to install the new one TO 249.

all in all, this has been a great learning experience, and you have helped me immensely!!! is there a +1 on this forum? or a +1000? unable to tell if the crashing problem is fixed, but if it isnt ill be sure to bother you some more.

again, thank you so so much!

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
kurnis said:
ok so I installed 57 to 250 and 38 to 248 using the CiosX tool stickied in this forum. (used v6 if that matters). It was simpler than loading the .wads from Modmii, at least for me.

I ran syscheck (2.1 didnt work, errored out, so i used 2.0.1), but how do i save the file so I can load it on here? It shows me all the info, but the only options i have are shut down, homebrew, and system menu. does it automatically save to the SD card somewhere automatically? im looking but i cant find anything new on it.
It's saved automatically.

Reactions: kurnis

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
WiiFlow also supports d2x and, IMO is a much better loader than CFG and way nicer looking. They're planning some sick features for the next release too. Just be sure to get the latest beta (rev374) dol from their wiki, not the one from the googlecode download page (that one's rather old). Runs MPT (and all other IOS Reload games) perfectly.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
qwertymodo said:
WiiFlow also supports d2x and, IMO is a much better loader than CFG and way nicer looking. They're planning some sick features for the next release too. Just be sure to get the latest beta (rev374) dol from their wiki, not the one from the googlecode download page (that one's rather old). Runs MPT (and all other IOS Reload games) perfectly.
Cfg still has better stability, compatibility, and is the first to implement new features (like the Auto setting on d2x). It also got a new GUI a few releases back, in case you didn't like the old one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: