Gaming Metroid Other M... or: why team ninja is killing the franchise

makezione

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wombo Combo said:
This actually my favorite Metroid game I love how Team Ninja handled Samus's running and jumping just like in Ninja Gaiden. Haters gonna hate the game but I am really enjoying it.
I finished Other M yesterday and then I fired up Super Metroid to see the similarities.. and after 10secs into the game I saw the first similarity: Samus as a character and the animation of the movement, exactly the same which is cool. I don't get these all haters who think that "real" Metroid game is supposed to be 3D or something like that (read: Prime). Let the haters hate it, majority still love it
smile.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
makezione said:
I don't get these all haters who think that "real" Metroid game is supposed to be 3D or something like that (read: Prime). Let the haters hate it, majority still love it
smile.gif
You clearly didn't read any of the posts did you?

Anyway its not a terrible game and I went in and approached it as a brand new game regardless of franchise, its just got so many design flaws that could have been easily fixed if Team Ninja weren't so stubborn. Especially the controls, they were so desperate to make a game that only used the wiimote they forgot that gamers were used to choice.

joybeba6679

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really dont think this game is bad or that team ninja killed the series, the game is actually fun and its good, has many elements of metroid but some of them are not present. You need to think about the possibility of enemies like this dropping missiles. I mean, it was OK and needed in other games but this is a more realistic way of viewing the story. Try to kill a dog and see if you get missiles after it dies..

About the doors not needing to be shoot at, well I like it more that way, I always hated how one had to shoot the damn door to get it open, again in this realistic world if you shoot at doors you destroy them. Remember this is NOT planet zebes, this is another thing much different than other games. However I didnt like the 1 missile upgrade with missile tanks but then again missiles are not so critical this time since you just can recharge them anytime you want.

About the life charging only when critical, I did found it to be BS, but after playing a bit I view it as more challenging. I like the kills but I dont like how they are not that easy to perform, would had liked to have some button system to the kills like on GOW. Still id like to have life pellets dropped from enemies but thats not very realistic either, like the missile part.

For me this game is more satisfying than any prime games, simply cuz you can move samus and watch her like the old 2d games, not only on visor mode, tho at times I wish this was a 2.5 D game, hell even a remake of super metroid in 2.5 D than a 3D game, anyways I like it, if you dont like it then dont play it, simple as that, is not like you paid for it
wink.gif

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
joybeba6679 said:
I really dont think this game is bad or that team ninja killed the series, the game is actually fun and its good, has many elements of metroid but some of them are not present. You need to think about the possibility of enemies like this dropping missiles. I mean, it was OK and needed in other games but this is a more realistic way of viewing the story. Try to kill a dog and see if you get missiles after it dies..

About the doors not needing to be shoot at, well I like it more that way, I always hated how one had to shoot the damn door to get it open, again in this realistic world if you shoot at doors you destroy them. Remember this is NOT planet zebes, this is another thing much different than other games. However I didnt like the 1 missile upgrade with missile tanks but then again missiles are not so critical this time since you just can recharge them anytime you want.

About the life charging only when critical, I did found it to be BS, but after playing a bit I view it as more challenging. I like the kills but I dont like how they are not that easy to perform, would had liked to have some button system to the kills like on GOW. Still id like to have life pellets dropped from enemies but thats not very realistic either, like the missile part.

For me this game is more satisfying than any prime games, simply cuz you can move samus and watch her like the old 2d games, not only on visor mode, tho at times I wish this was a 2.5 D game, hell even a remake of super metroid in 2.5 D than a 3D game, anyways I like it, if you dont like it then dont play it, simple as that, is not like you paid for it
wink.gif

AGREE.
laugh.gif

I could compare this version of metroid to the recen batman reboot (batman begins, the dark knight) where they aim to provide some reality to the unreal worlds.

Seriously, why would you need to shoot a door?
also tyhe missile tanks? do you really think 5 missiles can fit in that small container?
laugh.gif

i dunno what i'm saying, but, really. its a good game. might not be one of the best, but still worth a playthrough.

3DPiper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My son (8) and I JUST played Metroid Fusion getting ready for this.. So for us, this is a very natural transition (minus shooting doors, enemies leaving swag, and definitely the SOUNDS).. We haven't played any of the Prime series yet, so we can't compare.

I like Other M, but it is different..

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
gisel213 said:
I must admit the game looks alright but the main thing i hate about it is the items you already have all of them but you have to fight and slave
around till ADAM says you can use them now that's gay... what's wrong with team ninja can't remake the magic of aquiring the items or what????
People complain, but honestly, story wise it makes sense. In Metroid, it's no fun if you can do everything all at once, if they didn't do this they'd have to invent some other reason or have her suit get damaged somehow (ala Prime 1).

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
9th_Sage said:
gisel213 said:
I must admit the game looks alright but the main thing i hate about it is the items you already have all of them but you have to fight and slave
around till ADAM says you can use them now that's gay... what's wrong with team ninja can't remake the magic of aquiring the items or what????
People complain, but honestly, story wise it makes sense. In Metroid, it's no fun if you can do everything all at once, if they didn't do this they'd have to invent some other reason or have her suit get damaged somehow (ala Prime 1).
This. It's more of a whole in the plot then a flaw in the game.

morcar

Trophies
Website
www.tredegarforum.com
XP
Country
I like the new Metroid it gives it a new direction and a more realistic view i mean come on no creature is going to energy when you need it everytime are they ?

The cut scene are amazing and i love those too as they tell the story and thats all its about.

People who moan about this game if you want a new "metroid" game go make it yourself cuz you will never get one ever again. Nintendo are taking everything in new directions and if you dont like that then play on some classic RROD 360 and get over it.

And about F-zero GX i was crap at it but i freaking love it and always will as i love a challenge.

D

Deleted_171835

I've decided I'm not going to keep the game in the shrinkwrap.
I'll just use PriiLoader to block disc updates (4.3).
I'll go pick up the game tomorrow. Stores near me don't stock new games until the day after.

Edit: Just called a store near me and they have it in stock. Time to get it today!

Kikaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like a game worth buying regardless.. I just think X-Play sucks lol.
I mean by the looks of things the only issue I can find right away is not being able to move in FPS mode.

squablo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm convinced after reading all of this whining and crying, that I am going out to buy this game right now. I am growing very tired of all the hypocrisy and ignorance surrounding modern day "gamers" and "reviewers" in general.

I guess you all really do want everything the same all the time, game after game, and maybe that is why whenever Nintendo craps out another Zelda game, which will be the same as every other damn Zelda game, you will all be praising it like the next coming of Christ!

You know what? I played Metroid when it came out on the NES, and I have every game in the series since then. I'm going to buy this game, and I'm gonna play through it as a NEW GAME!

Do I expect it to play just like Metroid for NES? no
Do I expect it to play like Super Metroid for SNES? no
Do I expect it to play like Metroid Prime Series? no
Do I expect it to play like Metroid Hunters? no

I expect it to play like a NEW game, made by NEW developers. I expect it to be DIFFERENT, for if it weren't, why not just play the old games, as they still play great to this day. Comparing a game to every game in its past may be fun, but its not logical, nor is it progressing the franchise in any way.

Really, most of you 'kids' are so spoiled rotten its disgusting. In your current mind frame, you wouldn't have enjoyed gaming at all until 3D came along, because that's when games became way easier. All of you people just complaining about "finishing" a game, one that you didn't even buy, in 7-10 hours, but only at a 50% completion rating. Well you know what? You are not finished with that game, so get back to it. You dont like that you cant shoot the doors to open them, or that enemies dont drop ammo and health? Well, if you want to play a remake of old metroid, go get Metroid Zero Mission and STFU!

Thank God for Kotaku and their review of this game, because it was one of the best reviews I have read yet, and its full of way less whining then this thread is.

Ive heard so much complaining about this game, it makes me really miss the old days of gaming, when we used to do speed runs thru metroid for an 8 bit bikini shot, to finishing super mario bros 3 in under 10 minutes. Thats right, 10 minutes. I would have loved to hear you all complain about super mario bros 2 and compare it to the original, or just regular mario bros. What a joke! Now days you guys complain about a game being "too short" when back in the day, you had to finish the whole damn game in one sitting, as most games didnt have save options or even passwords. You got three continues or something and that was it. See how things change?

Spoiled rotten nerds, god help us all when Castlevania Lords of Shadow comes out, I can hear you all now already, and my stomach is starting to churn
frown.gif

Now Im done with my rant and cant wait to see all the pleasant responses I get from you elite gamers here on gbatemp. This was not directed to all of you, of course, but only to some of you, which im sure you know who you are.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
squablo said:
I guess you all really do want everything the same all the time, game after game, and maybe that is why whenever Nintendo craps out another Zelda game, which will be the same as every other damn Zelda game, you will all be praising it like the next coming of Christ!
Actually, no, people would complain regardless. If it's the same, it's "ugh, more of the same" but if it's different (best example, Windwaker) "OMG it's different and now it sucks!"
tongue.gif

QUOTE(Samurai Goomba @ Aug 29 2010, 02:52 PM) Metroid Prime was all well and good (one of the best games of last gen, no doubt), but by the third game it'd become pretty stale. Besides, the Prime games are just spin-offs and Metroid isn't Retro's baby.
I don't know that I would say STALE, but by the third game, it's definitely time to try something new (which is what they are trying to do to an extent I think).

Samurai Goomba

Trophies
XP
Country
squablo said:
Well I'm convinced after reading all of this whining and crying, that I am going out to buy this game right now. I am growing very tired of all the hypocrisy and ignorance surrounding modern day "gamers" and "reviewers" in general.

If this forum had a voting system I'd vote you up 100 times.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
squablo said:
Not really, most of us are happy with something different. Loved Prime because it went in a different direction but still retained a Metroid feel. Had nothing against what Team Ninja had planned but it could have been done a lot better.

joybeba6679

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kikaru said:
I mean by the looks of things the only issue I can find right away is not being able to move in FPS mode.

Precisely this is what kept me away from prime, If I wanna play an FPS I play doom, thats exactly why I like this game, cuz u can actually see samus while you play, for me thats a +.

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
joybeba6679 said:
Kikaru said:

Precisely this is what kept me away from prime, If I wanna play an FPS I play doom
You are stupid. Prime 2 was the best game on GC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ