Hacking Memory slot broken. Can it be fixed?

beautifulbeast

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok, no one panic but I think my R4 is broken: everytime I try insert the memory card back into it's place it doesn't "click" anymore and springs back up so I can't use it anymore. Has anyone ever had this happened to them and can it be fixed? (please, tell me it can).

Thanks.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people open the R4 and just take the spring out.

I found that if you kinda squeeze the R4 around the area of the slot as you insert the microSD, it will lock. Push the microSD in slowly until you hear the click and stop pushing. If you push it too far, it will just pop back out again.

There are some vids about it on Youtube, but I couldn't find the ones that explained how to remove the spring.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...g&search=Search

Kellicros

Trophies
XP
Country
Here's what I have been doing with my case, you can give it a try if yours isn't too severely broken. Well, if you hold the card down so it stick to the bottom shell and then press it in, it will click. I also noticed it would click easier if you make the card thicker, my 2GB is slightly thicker than my 1GB, and it is a lot easier to do it. So maybe you could put some tapes on your card or something.

Oh and, check this out. Though I suggest you to push down the metalic holder a little so they keep the card intact when the spring is removed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ55fcLbLqE...related&search=

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's what I have been doing with my case, you can give it a try if yours isn't too severely broken. Well, if you hold the card down so it stick to the bottom shell and then press it in, it will click. I also noticed it would click easier if you make the card thicker, my 2GB is slightly thicker than my 1GB, and it is a lot easier to do it. So maybe you could put some tapes on your card or something.

Oh and, check this out. Though I suggest you to push down the metalic holder a little so they keep the card intact when the spring is removed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ55fcLbLqE...related&search=

THAT'S the vid I was looking for. That should help you.

beautifulbeast

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for your replies, guys.
After seeing some of this videos I got some inspiration and decided to try something different before removing the spring. This, my friends, is the story of How My R4 got it's Click-And-Spring Back.

1· Open the cartridge.
2· Go to the memory slot. There you'll find a metal flap to the left. Blend it up so you can access the spring mechanism.
3· If you now try to reinsert the SD card, you'll notice a black device going up and down. Don't try much harder, it still doesn't work.
4· You'll also find a metallic pin. Ok, that's the part that's failing. On normal functioning, that needle should move to the left and to the right whenever you push a SD card in and out, allowing it to spring to the outside or keeping it in (alternatively, left and right, left and right). Your SD card doesn't spring-and-click anymore because this pin has got out of its rail.
5· Take a small screwdriver/toothpick/whatever small enough and put the needle in its place. Use your SD card pushing it in to see how the needle flips to the left and to the right alternatively as it should.
6· Put the metallic flap we removed in step 2 into place and hold it lightly against the memory slot. Now push again your SD card in and rejoice seeing how it clicks and is held into the slot perfectly. Now, here comes the bad news, the flap has lost its flexibility and can't keep the needle in its place, so once you release your finger, the SD card springs out like before (only this time you're unaware and the card flies through the room or at least that's what happened to me).
7· Cut a small piece of fine cardboard the size of the memory slot and use tape to fix it in place.
8· Mount the cartridge and good as new!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly