Homebrew WIP melonDS for Switch

The Official GMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is the concrete error message? Otherwise I can't help you.

I've attached the output from terminal when the build fails. Let me know if you need anything else.

Attachments

• build output.txt
    10.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot from 2020-05-12 15-23-01.png
    Screenshot from 2020-05-12 15-23-01.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 195

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've attached the output from terminal when the build fails. Let me know if you need anything else.
The generic_jit branch is currently broken for x64. Try going back to this commit: https://github.com/Arisotura/melonDS/tree/2cd9303925512bf7afd625d0392c23c7add04bc5
are there any new that you are still working on next update?
I wanted to release it yesterday, but something got into my way. The release is postponed for an unknown amount of time.

The Official GMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The generic_jit branch is currently broken for x64. Try going back to this commit: https://github.com/Arisotura/melonDS/tree/2cd9303925512bf7afd625d0392c23c7add04bc5

I wanted to release it yesterday, but something got into my way. The release is postponed for an unknown amount of time.

That commit builds and works fine using jit.Any ideas as to what changes broke it and when they might be fixed? Still not getting full speed performance on this version but it is better than desmume since it doesn't have jit_recompilation on arm cpus.

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That commit builds and works fine using jit.Any ideas as to what changes broke it and when they might be fixed? Still not getting full speed performance on this version but it is better than desmume since it doesn't have jit_recompilation on arm cpus.
I know very well what broke it and I already fixed it in my switch branch though that one isn't tested on aarch64 linux. The generic_jit branch also lacks the neon gpu and some other misc optimisations the switch build ships with.

The Official GMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know very well what broke it and I already fixed it in my switch branch though that one isn't tested on aarch64 linux. The generic_jit branch also lacks the neon gpu and some other misc optimisations the switch build ships with.

Can we expect to be able to build the switch branch on aarch64 linux now/in the future? Are there plans to merge your changes into the generic_jit branch?

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can we expect to be able to build the switch branch on aarch64 linux now/in the future? Are there plans to merge your changes into the generic_jit branch?
sure, just give it some time. The switch is my only aarch64 device so for that reason if I develope anything aarch64 specific, I directly develope it for switch. The JIT changes will come back first in the near future, though I can't say anything specific to the other changes.
You can try if the switch branch (https://github.com/RSDuck/melonDS) if it builds on aarch64, though like I said it's only tested on horizon.

The Official GMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure, just give it some time. The switch is my only aarch64 device so for that reason if I develope anything aarch64 specific, I directly develope it for switch. The JIT changes will come back first in the near future, though I can't say anything specific to the other changes.
You can try if the switch branch (https://github.com/RSDuck/melonDS) if it builds on aarch64, though like I said it's only tested on horizon.

Glad to hear it. The switch branch doesn't build, fails with the output attached. I understand it wasn't written to build on aarch64, just posting for reference.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-05-12 20-17-32.png
    Screenshot from 2020-05-12 20-17-32.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 187

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

JoshsVlogs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a way to save my save data? I'm Playing Pokemon SoulSilver

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

how would one save progress in a game? i'm currently playing Pokemon Soul Silver

The Official GMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@catlover007 I though you might be interested to know that I was eventually able to build a slightly modified version of melonDS for switch (https://github.com/RSDuck/melonDS) using GCC 10.1.0 instead of GCC 7.5.something which was installed on l4t ubuntu on my switch. I had to replace the CRC_32.cpp file with the one from mainline and add some missing dependencies to main.cpp (#include <string>) and Arm64Emitter.h (#include <stdint.h>) and then the build went fine. I started the emulator up and immediatly noticed that the opengl graphics rendering was broken (strange colors, scaling, etc but no crash). Swapping over to software rendering and everything works great! The emulation with software rendering is not always full speed but it is as good as or better than the previous branch I was using which you recommended (https://github.com/Arisotura/melonDS/tree/2cd9303925512bf7afd625d0392c23c7add04bc5)

If that didn't make sense, I can put up a fork with the changes if you are interested in running it on l4t ubuntu on the switch (not sure if you even use it)

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@catlover007 I though you might be interested to know that I was eventually able to build a slightly modified version of melonDS for switch (https://github.com/RSDuck/melonDS) using GCC 10.1.0 instead of GCC 7.5.something which was installed on l4t ubuntu on my switch. I had to replace the CRC_32.cpp file with the one from mainline and add some missing dependencies to main.cpp (#include <string>) and Arm64Emitter.h (#include <stdint.h>) and then the build went fine. I started the emulator up and immediatly noticed that the opengl graphics rendering was broken (strange colors, scaling, etc but no crash). Swapping over to software rendering and everything works great! The emulation with software rendering is not always full speed but it is as good as or better than the previous branch I was using which you recommended (https://github.com/Arisotura/melonDS/tree/2cd9303925512bf7afd625d0392c23c7add04bc5)

If that didn't make sense, I can put up a fork with the changes if you are interested in running it on l4t ubuntu on the switch (not sure if you even use it)
ah, can see why this works, there's a better fix for the CRC thing I'm not completely sure how to integrate it into the build system.

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I see.
Really interesting, can't wait to see what method you guys settle as a solution :)

I am trying to convert saves that were on my 3ds with the emulator that plays ds games (can't remember what it's called right now) but they're .sav, do I use RAW for both source and target?

Haven't been able to get Mario & Luigi's Bowser Inside Story to work. I made the save on Retroarch Switch, does it have to be standalone MelonDS?

Oh yeah emulator for 3DS Bootstrap is where the save comes from. I'm wondering does Retroarch use srm or .sav for MelonDS? I had one of both on there so I'm confused.

Also on another subject is it possible to play a game like Dementium II? (again Retroarch) It uses stylus to look around and move. I see in controls right joystick says touch X+ touch X- etc... but it doesn't work.

Last edited by Jayinem81,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I am trying to convert saves that were on my 3ds with the emulator that plays ds games (can't remember what it's called right now) but they're .sav, do I use RAW for both source and target?

Haven't been able to get Mario & Luigi's Bowser Inside Story to work. I made the save on Retroarch Switch, does it have to be standalone MelonDS?

Oh yeah emulator for 3DS Bootstrap is where the save comes from. I'm wondering does Retroarch use srm or .sav for MelonDS? I had one of both on there so I'm confused.

Also on another subject is it possible to play a game like Dementium II? (again Retroarch) It uses stylus to look around and move. I see in controls right joystick says touch X+ touch X- etc... but it doesn't work.
RA Switch reads my .sav files for DS just fine, just with the handful of ROM saves I listed being converted according to their proper size.

As for the size, let RA Switch with the melonDS core make a savefile on its own for the game you want, then take note of the size it made the save file for, and convert your old save file to the proper size(the one from the newly/fresh made save)

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had wrestled with this before so I went into retroarch/cores/savefiles and deleted all saves of Mario & Luigi Bowsers Inside Story, started the game made a new save, but there's no save in retroarch/cores/savefiles? Where else would the save be located?

Nevermind, it made this save even though my rom was not named this 4171 - Mario & Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story (USA) (En,Fr,Es).sav

So I renamed my save from 3DS to that 4171 - Mario & Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story (USA) (En,Fr,Es).sav overwrote the one made by Switch and it's working! Thanks for the help.

I still need some help with games that use stylus like Okamiden (where you draw certain images at certain points) and Dementium II. Is the stylus supposed to be working in this or not?

Reactions: ShadowOne333

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I still need some help with games that use stylus like Okamiden (where you draw certain images at certain points) and Dementium II. Is the stylus supposed to be working in this or not?
do you use standalone or libretro? For libretro you need enable the touchscreen in the settings. For standalone use the touchscreen of the switch, support for a mouse cursor comes with the next update.

Reactions: Jayinem81

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you use standalone or libretro? For libretro you need enable the touchscreen in the settings. For standalone use the touchscreen of the switch, support for a mouse cursor comes with the next update.

Oh yeah I use Retroarch. Is it in the main settings of Retroarch or in the core settings of MelonDS?

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so you have to actually touch the screen there's not like emulated right stick or anything? The reason I'm trying to transfer these games over to this is to play it on my TV but maybe it's not possible for games that need stylus.

Oh I see now the options are mouse touch joystick so I can just choose joystick?

Ah it's working! This is awesome thanks love this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo