OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to propose a rule that might help with trolling. What would this rule be? Well, a person who's new to the forum would have to have atleast 5 post in forums like "Other Discussions" and stuff, before they could post in major discussion forums, like the romhacking ones. Why would this help control trolling? Too often, I see trolls simply joining for the PURPOSE of flaming or trolling somebody. Their first post is literally a trolling post.

And after they troll your thread, they continue to control your thread or they just stop posting. Yes, I said they STOP posting, as in AFTER they troll your thread, they never make ANOTHER post throughout the rest of the forum.

If there was a rule where people somehow had to have atleast 5 post before they could post in major forums, this would extremely discourage trolls from joining.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think it'll work IMO... Those trolls you're talking about can just spam some random posts in the "Other Discussions" and stuff then go troll in threads.

EDIT: Law beat me to it.

WataruKun

Rom translator.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
No it wouldn't, they would just spam five posts somewhere else.
But the point is, is that they wouldn't be spamming major topics, like they do. Most trolls join to troll a "specific topic". If they can't join to troll that specific topic, they most likely won't join at all. Remember my Soul Silver thread? This is a good example of people joining to troll one topic and only one topic.

The 72 hours thing works to. As long as they can't join and instantly troll one specific thread.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Law said:

Agreed. Noobs want what they want, and if they can't post in the right section (unless they are noobs that cant post in the right section) they will post in whatever they can find to get the anwser.

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Someone's angry because they got flamed. That rule would also discourage people who need help too. I often see people who just joined asking for help in the major forums. This wouldn't really help either.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
WataruKun said:
Law said:
But the point is, is that they wouldn't be spamming major topics, like they do. Most trolls join to troll a "specific topic". If they can't join to troll that specific topic, they most likely won't join at all. Remember my Soul Silver thread? This is a good example of people joining to troll one topic and only one topic.

The 72 hours thing works to. As long as they can't join and instantly troll one specific thread.

They'll join, spam five posts somewhere else, then troll your thread.

The Admins probably won't agree to making new members wait 72 hours, they won't do anything that could make legitimate members not want to bother joining.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WataruKun said:
Law said:

Yeah, but...

A) Newcomers may be lost at this. If they wanted to join to hop right into DS discussions, Wii discussions, etc, they couldn't. Instead, they have to wait in a forum they wouldn't want.
B) I can make 5 spam posts and probably a dozen troll posts before any mod would stop me. Making five posts won't stop a troll.
C) This wouldn't stop trolls. They can still troll in GOT. They may as well, if they were trolling you, for instance, make a thread in GOT that's called "WataruKun is a dumb fuck" or something. You aren't, just to let you know
tongue.gif
. And I'll still refer to point B.
D) The best method of dealing with trolls is to ignore them. If you start responding to their flame then you've already lost the battle. A mod will eventually remove their post, give them a warning/ban, and the episode will be over. It would be better to just put something in bold in the Forum rules that says "IF YOU'RE BEING FLAMED, IGNORE IT!"

girugamarc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
none of those methods would work to be honest. I can't blame the mods for not being able to keep up with threads with an abundance of trolls. Best they could do is ban them for continuous trolling. I say bans should be handed out at first sight of someone trolling. Especially the rom hacking forum

Guild McCommunist said:
D) The best method of dealing with trolls is to ignore them. If you start responding to their flame then you've already lost the battle. A mod will eventually remove their post, give them a warning/ban, and the episode will be over. It would be better to just put something in bold in the Forum rules that says "IF YOU'RE BEING FLAMED, IGNORE IT!"

smileipb2.png

this guy knows his stuff

WataruKun

Rom translator.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
WataruKun said:
Law said:

Yeah, but...

A) Newcomers may be lost at this. If they wanted to join to hop right into DS discussions, Wii discussions, etc, they couldn't. Instead, they have to wait in a forum they wouldn't want.
B) I can make 5 spam posts and probably a dozen troll posts before any mod would stop me. Making five posts won't stop a troll.
C) This wouldn't stop trolls. They can still troll in GOT. They may as well, if they were trolling you, for instance, make a thread in GOT that's called "WataruKun is a dumb fuck" or something. You aren't, just to let you know
tongue.gif
. And I'll still refer to point B.
For your "D" point, that works to a point. You ignore the trolls and the moderator deletes their post. But eventually and I'm talking about specifically in huge topics, more trolls will come. Okay the moderator deletes those post. About a week later, more trolls join just to troll. Mods delete their post. Do you see where I'm getting at here? Just seems like the mods are making more work for themselves.\

These troll waves aren't just one post either. It happens like this, you get one troll starting the argument. Then you get more trolls adding to the argument. Then you get atleast a page or two of trolling before mods come and clean it up. If it only happened ONCE, it wouldn't be a problem, but when it happens over and over and over and these trolls don't even get banned, it's a problem.

So there should either be a rule discouraging trolls to join, just to troll or moderators and admins should be more strict on trolls.

girugamarc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
warnings/bans should be given at first sight in big topics such as your SS thread. Deleting post is just a silly little slap on the wrist. So is your proposed 5 post requirement rule

WataruKun

Rom translator.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
girugamarc said:
warnings/bans should be given at first sight in big topics such as your SS thread. Deleting post is just a silly little slap on the wrist. So is your proposed 5 post requirement rule
Whatever the case, how the situation is handled now is not working. Perhaps if trolls planning troll saw that OTHER trolls were banned, they would feel threatened. Removing post does nothing, especially when it comes to trolls who are active members. I've had people who've trolled my SS topic SEVERAL times and got nothing but their post removed. No warnings or bannings. And they wonder why the same trolls, come back to troll again.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, the best method for stopping trolls is to leave the carcasses of dead animals along a secluded path, station archers on the bridge to Agathorn, set their arrows on fire, and equip them with the Warlock Potion that has +50 effectiveness vs. trolls.

Anyway...

WataruKun said:
girugamarc said:
Whatever the case, how the situation is handled now is not working. Perhaps if trolls planning troll saw that OTHER trolls were banned, they would feel threatened. Removing post does nothing, especially when it comes to trolls who are active members. I've had people who've trolled my SS topic SEVERAL times and got nothing but their post removed. No warnings or bannings. And they wonder why the same trolls, come back to troll again.

Well, trolls are going to be almost everywhere and regardless, they can't be stopped. Have you seen Youtube? I look at any post for a video and it's probably flame. And there's A LOT of videos on Youtube. Yet again, Youtube is absolutely horrible with stopping this crap. As for GBAtemp, the system may seem "broken" because there's still a fair amount of trolls, but the fact is that GBAtemp is a rather large forum with a rather large amount of members. Trolling is something that'll always be here, and having mods, using the Report button, and just saying "Hey, this guy is a troll, ignore him!" is the best method for dealing with trolls. My only suggestion is to have a larger mod staff, but even then we don't want to start picking up mods left and right just because some dumbfuck said "lol wii suxxx shitty grafiks kiddie fucking pussy games and terrible control. ps3 is 1000000000x better".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o