1. 2,308

Front-page
    mele-calibrations-fpo1.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg

While the galaxy is anxiously awaiting Commander Shepard's triumphant return, gamers across the globe were recently informed of some modifications to the original Mass Effect games that will be present in Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Jay Ingram, community manager for EA and BioWare, has revealed that there will be some gameplay rebalancing and other mechanical improvements to the upcoming remaster via via a blog post on the EA site. The most prominent change is a complete re-tuning of the combat in the first Mass Effect game, which is notorious among fans for how differently it plays compared to the rest of the trilogy. Gunplay is the primary change here, offering increased accuracy and aim assist to make the entry point of the series feel and play more like its sequels. Beyond weapon accuracy, other gameplay changes for the first game include faster weapon cooldown, melee being mapped to a button rather than automatic at close range, and the ability for Shepard to sprint both in and out of combat.

This is in line with a major goal for the remaster touted in the blog, which was to make each piece of the trilogy feel more consistent with each other, without losing unique features and the general "feel" special to each game. Another major way that this is being achieved is by taking the series finale into account from the get go, and accounting for content completed and choices made through all three games leading up to the final battle against the Reaper threat. Legendary Edition's version of the finale will also no longer be affected by external factors such as the old Mass Effect 3 companion app, or the game's removed multiplayer mode.

Other gameplay re-balances for the remaster include individual squad member commands added to Mass Effect that are present in Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, improving the handling and combat elements of the land vehicle gameplay in the original game, a more uniform character creator process for the entire trilogy, and tweaking specific boss fights and combat cover elements across all three games. Mass Effect Legendary Edition will be released on May 14th, 2021. It will be available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Windows systems, with forward compatibility for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S.

:arrow:Source

2. Discussion (21 replies)

3. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    Sorry if I'm wrong here, but isn't it backwards compatibility?

4. RyRyIV

OP RyRyIV GDDM
    Reviewer

United States
    It would be forward compatibility, because the game will be taking advantage of optimized 4K graphics when playing on a PS5 or Series X, while also still playable on standard Xbox Ones and PS4s in 1080p. Backwards compatibility would simply mean that the 1080p versions are playable on the new hardware, and maybe upscaled to 4K. It's the optimization for newer hardware than it was released on that makes it forward compatible.

5. Chary

Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    Noooo not the Mass Effect 3 companion app!!!! How could they kill such an amazing feature off. Darn you, EA!

6. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    Nooooo that was the best part of mass effect 3

7. BitMasterPlus

BitMasterPlus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm still not gonna memorize 37 genders if they add that to the remaster.

8. diggeloid

diggeloid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I like that the first game was so different from the others. If I'm going to dump who knows how many hours to play through a full trilogy, mixing things up along the way is welcome.

Plus, this is an RPG where the player can choose different builds and different play styles. If the combat system is identical in the three games, and the player can transfer their character between games, then does that mean the player is going to be stuck with the same exact build/combat/play style for all three games?

In the original trilogy, a character transfer included some skill points and allowed you to re-spec your character at the start of the game. When I played through it, I went for the same build because it's what I was familiar with, but every game's combat was different enough so I had to change how I played.

mrjelly, Daggot, AkiraKurusu and 2 others like this.
  9. RyRyIV

OP RyRyIV GDDM
    Reviewer

United States
    I actually agree with you in regards to the first game. Even though it's aged like milk, it's my favorite by a wide margin and I love it. Unoptomized gameplay and all. I was actually a bit disappointed when I started playing the sequel only to see that it'd become more of a third person shooter. Still love the entire trilogy, though.

Regarding needing to stick with the same build for each game; I don't believe that will be the case. According to the blog post, each game's save will be independent to their specific game, and you'll have the option to change Shepard's appearance at the beginning of each game still. It seems to me that sense of unity they're aiming for means to make this feel more like a more cohesive trilogy of individual games where the "feel" of the combat is more consistent throughout, rather make them all into the same game split into three chapters. Thermal clips, for example, don't seem to be integrated into Mass Effect 1, and I doubt the Vanguard's biotic charge will be making its way into it either (though if it is, it's over for all those Geth).

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  10. spotanjo3

spotanjo3 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    Read it carefully. ;)

See the black bold with underline:

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  11. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    I just can't play through this whole trilogy again knowing that none of the choices you make have any meaningful impact (except the ME2 suicide mission). If they're gonna take the time to tweak gameplay elements, they should also add six completely new ending cutscenes, and determine which one the player receives based on two or three of the choices they made in each game. That would truly make it a "legendary" edition.

Short of that, I'll pick it up in a few years when it's $10. I already own all three games on Steam, and I know EA isn't about to give me a discount for that.

12. GenNaz

GenNaz Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    [​IMG]

Darth Meteos and Xzi like this.
  13. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Thank fucking god, I just can't play stock ME 1 these days without using the god weapons cheats they have in-game because of how clunky and awful it plays. Maybe I'll finally get through it this time without having to cheat :lol:

MarkDarkness likes this.
  14. spotanjo3

spotanjo3 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    Good things that I had them but never finished or only played first game partially. Now for this, I will!

15. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Nocturnal

Poland
    I am really excited about this one! It feels like Cyberpunk gave them a long hard pause and they only want to get it out there when it's actually done. Hopefully it will come out without too many bugs.

16. BitMasterPlus

United States
    I'll take it either way because shiny star good.

banjo2 likes this.
  17. Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos Entertainer

United States
    imagine being this cringe

Actually, there's a discount for Mass Effect 3 owners. It isn't quite down to $10, of course.

GenNaz and Xzi like this.
  18. BitMasterPlus

United States
    What? I'm just saying I don't find it fun to master all the genders in Andromeda. But if that's fun to some, whatevs floats your boat :P

CrossOut likes this.
  19. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
  20. Prior22

Prior22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Why won’t EA put their key titles on the Switch? It’s not as if the specs are so poor a dumbed down port couldn’t be put together.

21. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    I think is because Nintendo is not fond of microtransactions. DLC is okay, gambling is not.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - rebalancing, Legendary, gameplay