Hacking MarioKart Pwns

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What is this?
It is a method to allow people from all regions to use exploits for games that wouldn't normally run on their Wii.

How does it work?
Simply get a game with multiple non-update-partitions that boots on your Wii. Then replace a non-game partition with the game partition from a game which has a working exploit. I have only tested this with MarioKart, but I don't see why it won't work with any game that switches partitions. And since there is a MarioKart for all regions, everybody should be covered.

What do I need?
It requires a way to boot non-retail games ( mod-chip or cIOScrap ).
Since you are combining 2 games into 1, it will result in a really huge image. So, you need a DVD-DL or a wode or some other way to play a bigass game.
No trucha bug required
smile.gif

How do I do it?
Dump the 2 games you want to use, grab the DATA partition from the game that has the exploit. Put it in place of the non-game partition in the other game. Load the thing and trigger the partition change. It will start the second game and you can go on to run the exploit and do whatever you want with it.

EDIT>>
after a bit of messing around, i cant get mariokart -> SSBB to work ( 001 error ). i think this is probably caused by a bug in the WODE firmware, and MAY be correctable if they ever open up the source. maybe it will works using a game that is smaller than mariokart. but i havent one to test, so somebody else will have to do it.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
This is gonna let a lot of people whos little brother/sister/cousin/friend/next door neighbour/some guy/girl mom or dad updated by accident

Do cioscorp ioses survive an official update though ?

and afaik, this is the only working hack for the Jap Wiis
biggrin.gif

airline38

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Not sure if I understand this way correctly.

Does this mean to add the 2nd DATA partition to the 1st game's ISO ?
(then there will be 2 DATA partitions in the 1st game ? ) Is that right ?

1. Use Wii scrubber to load the 1st game's ISO (EX: Mario Kart)
2. Replace Installer partition (Mario Kart) with the DATA partition of LEGO Indiana Jones

Is that right ?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
bjorno said:
Nice work, but people still need a way to boot up backups (modchip or wode).
I can't comprehend how you could get the game to play without that. And if you do have a method to play burnt discs, then wouldn't you also have region free features to play Lego Indiana Jones or Brawl? Am I missing something?

I'll just clarify that I say this from the virgin 4.3 perspective. That's the only type of Wii that absolutely needs game exploits right now.

Edit: Just reread the main post and realised pune already covered the above. My bad. Don't know how I missed it
wacko.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
The actual problem for NTSC-J wiis is the non existing region free on virgin 4.3 wii and/or non-existing exploit for a NTSC-J game...

So is Mario Kart + SSBB tested? And how is this actually used? Meaning -> When does Mario Kart switches partitions?

ps: Mario Kart + SSBB makes a disc bigger than DL by the way.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Same... I'm not sure to understand the need for this complicate method: since you still need a way to boot backup anyway, just get a copy of US Brawl or that Lego Game and run the exploit, why getting into all this complication ?

I don't remember that these exploits needed a region-specific console or system menu to work, do they ?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
The actual problem for NTSC-J wiis is the non existing region free on virgin 4.3 wii and/or non-existing exploit for a NTSC-J game...

So is Mario Kart + SSBB tested? And how is this actually used? Meaning -> When does Mario Kart switches partitions?

ps: Mario Kart + SSBB makes a disc bigger than DL by the way.
You could probably delete the subspace emissary videos or replace the files with smaller ones like what's done for the DVD5 version. You aren't going to need those to do Smash Stack, I guess.

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4.2 & higher have region checking that modchips cant bypass. so, the system menu boots a game that is the correct region, then the partition switcheroo is where it boots a game from the other region.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Jacobeian said:
Same... I'm not sure to understand the need for this complicate method: since you still need a way to boot backup anyway, just get a copy of US Brawl or that Lego Game and run the exploit, why getting into all this complication ?

I don't remember that these exploits needed a region-specific console or system menu to work, do they ?

Well these two facts,
1. Chips can't fool region protection of system menu starting from 4.2..
2. There is no working exploit that targets a NTSC-J game (well on 4.3)

I doubt this will work with a mixture of Korean and another region game, so I left it out... (but might work since Korean wiis have two common keys and they have affinity to NTSC-J region)

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
giantpune said:
4.2 & higher have region checking that modchips cant bypass. so, the system menu boots a game that is the correct region, then the partition switcheroo is where it boots a game from the other region.
Ah, I see. That makes sense and explains why this could be useful.

On a side note, can 4.2 and higher Wiis still run homebrew discs or has that been blocked too? If not, you could just put the Hackmii installer onto a burnt disc, so I guess the answer to my question is that they have been.

jason_y

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
as this doesn't need "trucha bug",
would it be possible to do it like the "DISCSWAP"?
replacing the main.dol in INSTALLER partition with LoadMii.dol?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.